The Student Room Group

Need help with calluses from guitar (pic)

I googled it and all I get is "Congratulations! You're on your way to become pro!" when I can barely strum through 5 songs :colonhash:

I know they aren't a big deal but today the touch on my tab didn't work

Spoiler

And it hurts like a ***** when I press the buttons on a lift.

IMG_1885.jpg

Spoiler

So anyone got any tips on how to continue playing guitar and get my fingers back to normal? :puppyeyes:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by batter mix
I googled it and all I get is "Congratulations! You're on your way to become pro!" when I can barely strum through 5 songs :colonhash:

Spoiler

IMG_1885.jpg

Spoiler

So anyone got any tips on how to continue playing guitar and get my fingers back to normal?

Dont bite or pick at them for one... like now that you've already damaged them...
Once they have healed over a bit (basically no raw skin otherwise itll burn)... soak them in apple cider vinegar ...
Dont play guitar with wet fingers
Um...
rub your fingertips with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol three times a day for a week or two if you are a beginner or if you havent played for a while... it will dry out the skin and help calluses build quicker... (wipe your fingertips with a cotton pad soaked in rubbing alcohol, or use alcohol wipes, which health care providers use to clean your skin before giving you an injection)
"Everyone who takes up the guitar has to deal with sore fingers in the beginning and every time they come back to their instrument after some time away. But in the end, it's so worth a little pain. So press on. Keep playing regularly. Learn to embrace the pain, knowing it will pass. Don't let sore fingertips stand between you and your dream of playing guitar. Don't give up, toughen up."

Also heres something I do a lot.. it helps
https://youtu.be/ugAxtInkstE
Reply 2
They won't go back to 'normal' because regular pressure on skin = calluses. They will harden etc and just be a fact of life

I take mine off regularly depending on how wide i hit my pinches. If it splits mid gig, break out the superglue
Original post by gjd800
They won't go back to 'normal' because regular pressure on skin = calluses. They will harden etc and just be a fact of life

I take mine off regularly depending on how wide i hit my pinches. If it splits mid gig, break out the superglue

Omg mood ... superglue does do the trick but I'm p sure shes only a beginner... and so not quite at that level yet... shes just hardening now... I play classical spanish guitar... so trust me when I say... I REALLY get her.. stringers are so much harder uhhhh... it was painful at first but I got through it... had literally purple tips at one point ahaha
Reply 4
Original post by Camryn0903
Omg mood ... superglue does do the trick but I'm p sure shes only a beginner... and so not quite at that level yet... shes just hardening now... I play classical spanish guitar... so trust me when I say... I REALLY get her.. stringers are so much harder uhhhh... it was painful at first but I got through it... had literally purple tips at one point ahaha

Used to play classical as a kid, hated it.

Much older now and wish I had stuck with it.
Original post by gjd800

I only understood half of that but thanks!
Dont bite or pick at them for one... like now that you've already damaged them...
Once they have healed over a bit (basically no raw skin otherwise itll burn)... soak them in apple cider vinegar ...
Dont play guitar with wet fingers
Um...
rub your fingertips with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol three times a day for a week or two if you are a beginner or if you havent played for a while... it will dry out the skin and help calluses build quicker... (wipe your fingertips with a cotton pad soaked in rubbing alcohol, or use alcohol wipes, which health care providers use to clean your skin before giving you an injection)
"Everyone who takes up the guitar has to deal with sore fingers in the beginning and every time they come back to their instrument after some time away. But in the end, it's so worth a little pain. So press on. Keep playing regularly. Learn to embrace the pain, knowing it will pass. Don't let sore fingertips stand between you and your dream of playing guitar. Don't give up, toughen up."

Also heres something I do a lot.. it helps
https://youtu.be/ugAxtInkstE

Thanks Cam! You are a lifesaver :h:
I wouldnt say I saved ya life.. maybe ya fingers but not ya life...but no probs anyways.. anytime xx
I wouldnt say I saved ya life.. maybe ya fingers but not ya life...but no probs anyways.. anytime xx

Edit: You're a fingersaver :rofl:
IMG_1903.jpg
On an unrelated note, check out my clumsy arse cutting myself.

My hands look like they have been tortured :cry2:
Play through the pain and get used to it. Treat calluses as a badge of honor.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Play through the pain and get used to it. Treat calluses as a badge of honor.

Basically what google said.

But it hurts :cry:I think it hurts me more than everyone else because not everyone is possibly playing through the pain right?
Basically what google said.

But it hurts :cry:I think it hurts me more than everyone else because not everyone is possibly playing through the pain right?

Well, maybe, for some perspective, I use to play whilst my fingers were red/purple and don't get me wrong, it hurts, but it just stops after a while.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Well, maybe, for some perspective, I use to play whilst my fingers were red/purple and don't get me wrong, it hurts, but it just stops after a while.

They will be red and purple after some time?? This is not reassuring at all!

Is there nothing I can do to prevent it? Other than stop playing because that’s not happening.

Spoiler

Spoiler

So anyone got any tips on how to continue playing guitar and get my fingers back to normal? :puppyeyes:

Spoiler

Keep your hands moisturized, and keep practising. The calluses will even out, but you need to keep at it.
Original post by Tootles
Keep your hands moisturized, and keep practising. The calluses will even out, but you need to keep at it.

How long until they even out? Also do I just pull at them? Won’t it bleed?
How long until they even out? Also do I just pull at them? Won’t it bleed?

How long's a piece of string? :lol: took me a month or so IIRC, but I was only giving it about twenty minutes a day. Don't pull at them. Maybe put some Vaseline on them. They shouldn't bleed.
Those calluses certainly look delicious.
Original post by Tootles
How long's a piece of string? :lol: took me a month or so IIRC, but I was only giving it about twenty minutes a day. Don't pull at them. Maybe put some Vaseline on them. They shouldn't bleed.

Okie. Also, don’t laugh at my ignorance :sad:

Original post by realistpotato
Those calluses certainly look delicious.

I- what?
Edit: You're a fingersaver :rofl:

Loll
IMG_1903.jpg
On an unrelated note, check out my clumsy arse cutting myself.

My hands look like they have been tortured :cry2:

Also... weird thing... I honestly thought I was so much whiter than you.. apparent not so much .... I have tanned a lot tho ahah
Attachment not found
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest