The Student Room Group

Taking Law as my 3rd A-level subject but I want to go into medicine

I’m going into my second year of A-levels with chemistry and biology. I had dropped photography at the beginning of 1st year. I have to now take a 3rd subject and I was thinking Law because it looks interesting. I feel I could learn a lot from it but I heard that you’re basically just memorising a lot of useless information that won’t help you/ you won’t benefit from. I heard that the 3rd subject doesn’t matter when applying for medicine (most unis) so I was thinking to maybe take it. I want to go into medicine and I’m really struggling to take my 3rd subject. I’ve got less than 2 weeks to decide. I’m not good at maths and I don’t like it either.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laibakh
I’m going into my second year of A-levels with chemistry and biology. I had dropped photography at the beginning of 1st year. I have to now take a 3rd subject and I was thinking Law because it looks interesting. I feel I could learn a lot from it but I heard that you’re basically just memorising a lot of useless information that won’t help you/ you won’t benefit from. I heard that the 3rd subject doesn’t matter when applying for medicine (most unis) so I was thinking to maybe take it. I want to go into medicine and I’m really struggling to take my 3rd subject. I’ve got less than 2 weeks to decide. I’m not good at maths and I don’t like it either.

Take the one you can get a good grade in as long as you have bio and chem you will be fine.

Who did you hear that from btw?
Reply 2
You should take maths if you want to go into medicine, quite a lot of people do a level maths in their first year and then further maths in the second. A level law seems like an unusual option for medicine, especially seeing as you dropped an a level anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Take the one you can get a good grade in as long as you have bio and chem you will be fine.

Told me what? About taking any subject? I’m a bit confused, you didn’t specify.
Reply 4
Original post by Deggs_14
You should take maths if you want to go into medicine, quite a lot of people do a level maths in their first year and then further maths in the second. A level law seems like an unusual option for medicine, especially seeing as you dropped an a level anyway.

But I really don’t want to do Maths. It’s better not to take something you won’t enjoy right?
From what I know (as a previous law student at uni), even law schools don't like A-level Law as an entry qualification. It's really nothing like the proper study of law. But if your third subject doesn't matter then I don't see why not. Although, maths is the more traditional and competitive choice.
Reply 6
Original post by habeas.corpus
From what I know (as a previosu law student), even law schools don't like A-level Law as an entry qualification. It's really nothing like the proper study. But if you're third subject doesn't matter then I don't see why not. Although, maths is the more traditional and competitive choice.

I’m really having second thoughts about law now. I don’t think I should do it. But that puts me back to base one because I don’t know what to pick as my 3rd subject
Original post by Laibakh
I’m really having second thoughts about law now. I don’t think I should do it. But that puts me back to base one because I don’t know what to pick as my 3rd subject

What I recommend you do is phone up or email the admissions staff for medicine at the unis you want to apply to. They can give you the most helpful answer and tell you whether taking A-level law will affect your application.
Original post by Laibakh

OK - here's the advice that you should follow:

Your 3rd subject can literally be in whatever you'd like it to be as long as it's reasonably academic (which A level Law is) unless you're applying to Cambridge where they ask for a third subject in a stem subject.

In other words, you're 100% fine for Medicine. Anyone else that says otherwise is giving you false information. Again, you're 100% OK with regard to your chosen subjects.
Original post by Laibakh
Told me what? About taking any subject? I’m a bit confused, you didn’t specify.

About Law?
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger

I read it online when I was researching the subject. But a lot of the info was directed to tell people to not take law if they want to go into Law at uni. I just want to take it only if it will benefit me in life.
Reply 11
Oh thank god because I really hate maths and it’s making me feel like I’d be at a disadvantage. I feel guilty because everyone is telling me to take maths.
Hm I might need to retract what I said about A-level law. When I applied to study law uni, several years ago, Cambridge/ Oxford and LSE explicitly stated they did not like A-level Law. A quick google tells me their tone has changed. Generally, if people do take A-level law for entry into law, it's usually as a 4th A-level. In any case, please do contact the admissions staff at your preferred unis.
Reply 13
How can I move my question to that forum? Do I like join it or do I just post my questions into that tread without starting a new one?
Reply 14
Hm I might need to retract what I said about A-level law. When I applied to study law uni, several years ago, Cambridge/ Oxford and LSE explicitly stated they did not like A-level Law. A quick google tells me their tone has changed. Generally, if people do take A-level law for entry into law, it's usually as a 4th A-level. In any case, please do contact the admissions staff at your preferred unis.

I still haven’t looked into uni’s properly but once I’ve short listed them I will apply. So I just email their reception or admissions?
Reply 15
Thank you so much for directing me to there. Is there any other forums I could benefit from?
Generally, if people do take A-level law for entry into law, it's usually as a 4th A-level. In any case, please do contact the admissions staff at your preferred unis.

This was the case years ago. However, recently Cambridge, Oxford and several other prestigious institutions have gone record by saying that A level Law would be perfectly acceptable as a third subject for their courses.
Original post by Laibakh
I still haven’t looked into uni’s properly but once I’ve short listed them I will apply. So I just email their reception or admissions?

Yes, you'll be able to find their email if you go to the undergrad admissions page of their website. Or you could phone them if you want a quicker answer. Good luck :smile:.
Your third subject doesn't matter as long as you have bio and chem. Do what you want.

Law isn't seen as a doss subject.
Reply 19
You’re the best!! 🥰🥰

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending