The Student Room Group

How will my scholarship affect my (postgrad) student finance?

Hey ☺️
So, I’ve been approved for the maximum loan for my masters, but I’ve also been granted £1000 off my tuition in the form of a scholarship from the uni I’ve applied to. As the tuition is paid automatically by student finance,y tuition loan is £10000 but is now reduced to £9000 because of the scholarship, so what will student finance do with that remaining £1000 from them? Is it paid to me or does it just disappear?
Cheers for any help!
Original post by r0ughhands
Hey ☺️
So, I’ve been approved for the maximum loan for my masters, but I’ve also been granted £1000 off my tuition in the form of a scholarship from the uni I’ve applied to. As the tuition is paid automatically by student finance,y tuition loan is £10000 but is now reduced to £9000 because of the scholarship, so what will student finance do with that remaining £1000 from them? Is it paid to me or does it just disappear?
Cheers for any help!

The postgraduate loan is paid directly to you, not the university, therefore you are responsible for using the money to pay your fees to the university. The scholarship you receive from your university shouldn't affect the amount of postgraduate loan that you can receive.
Reply 2
Hmm, my student finance letter said that my tuition loan was paid directly to the university by student finance 🤔 weird
Hmm, my student finance letter said that my tuition loan was paid directly to the university by student finance 🤔 weird

Are you sure you're talking about the postgraduate loan? There is no 'tuition' loan for postgraduate courses (at least not from Student Finance).
maximum loan?How do you know that?
By the way, what do you major in?
Reply 5
Because it said on the application and because I spoke to them on the phone about it, aside from any disability grants etc I am receiving the maximum a masters student can receive but I’m not going to go into detail about my own situation as it’s a bit personal :smile:
Reply 6
and yes I am talking about the loan, it literally says on the letter that they pay £10000 directly to the university to cover tuition and then I get the additional funds paid to me that are maintenance etc. I don’t know what else to tell you, that’s what it says on the letter 😂
and yes I am talking about the loan, it literally says on the letter that they pay £10000 directly to the university to cover tuition and then I get the additional funds paid to me that are maintenance etc. I don’t know what else to tell you, that’s what it says on the letter 😂

That's strange. The only reasons I can think of for that would be that you aren't applying to Student Finance England (the branches do things a bit differently), or due to your circumstances they decided to pay the university directly instead of paying you - this just isn't common.
Reply 8
Ahhh maybe, I’m applying through Student Finance Wales so perhaps you’re right. I probably need to pester them on the phone a bit more I think! Thanks for your help anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending