The Student Room Group

My hair is growing back!! AMA

Basically around September last year to around Feb this year, I suffered from horrific hair loss (I am 18) and lost around half my hair. To this day, I haven’t been able to explain it but I’m assuming it was the stress of uni application , changing countries and pretty bad dandruff all hitting at the same time.... I also have PCOS but I don’t think that’s the reason since the hair thinning should have continued.
I struggled to accept I was losing hair until my mum said my scalp was visible when wet so I decided to do something about it and kept tight hairstyles to a minimum, stopped using heat and used coconut oil very regularly.
Around a month ago, without any warning, I noticed that the hair on my temples had begun to return and my parting was visibly a lot thinner. Whilst I haven’t felt any real difference in hair thickness, I am sure my hair has begun to grow back and in a few months will be fully restored once the regrowth gets to appropriate lengths.
Today my mum even said that when she was styling my hair, she could no longer see the scalp around my temples!! I am thrilled and proud of the progress I’ve made.
For anyone, especially females who are dealing with the issues of hair loss, feel free to ask because I know the pain of losing hair and the feeling of losing all hope and struggling to come to terms with it...
Original post by Anonymous
Basically around September last year to around Feb this year, I suffered from horrific hair loss (I am 18) and lost around half my hair. To this day, I haven’t been able to explain it but I’m assuming it was the stress of uni application , changing countries and pretty bad dandruff all hitting at the same time.... I also have PCOS but I don’t think that’s the reason since the hair thinning should have continued.
I struggled to accept I was losing hair until my mum said my scalp was visible when wet so I decided to do something about it and kept tight hairstyles to a minimum, stopped using heat and used coconut oil very regularly.
Around a month ago, without any warning, I noticed that the hair on my temples had begun to return and my parting was visibly a lot thinner. Whilst I haven’t felt any real difference in hair thickness, I am sure my hair has begun to grow back and in a few months will be fully restored once the regrowth gets to appropriate lengths.
Today my mum even said that when she was styling my hair, she could no longer see the scalp around my temples!! I am thrilled and proud of the progress I’ve made.
For anyone, especially females who are dealing with the issues of hair loss, feel free to ask because I know the pain of losing hair and the feeling of losing all hope and struggling to come to terms with it...

Sorry to break it to you, but I have PCOS too and although the hair does grow back like this, it will thin out again. It happens in cycles. At least it does for me.
PCOS is crap crew checking in
Reply 3
Sorry to break it to you, but I have PCOS too and although the hair does grow back like this, it will thin out again. It happens in cycles. At least it does for me.

How often does the cycle repeat for you?
Reply 4

I genuinely don’t think that PCOS was part of it tbh... I’ve always shed hair but during that period I would be losing more than 150-200 a day. Recently, the loss is back to normal (around 30-50 depending on whether I wash my hair) and my parting is the thinnest it’s ever been. I’ve also had multiple blood tests and all of the hormones are balanced, I do think that stress played a huge role but I should maybe go to a doctor to find the real reason I guess
My hair has been thinning and lost a lot of hair in the past week and you can see my scalp kinda I’m losing it from my crown but it happened to my older brother and dad family is saying it’s genetics but I’m only 20 turned 20 last month. I used to have really thick curly hair. Everyone knows me for it... irdk what to do? I have had some family stress but idk if it is that. I’ve got a blood test next week to find out any solutions a reply ASAP would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest