The Student Room Group

Six Highers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by animalmagic
I’m looking at one now, 5 teaching periods in a day, 4 periods per subject a week plus 2 double periods of core PE per week and one period of social education.

I suppose if you have less teaching periods it is easy to fill a timetable.
honestly, I really struggled with 5 highers let alone 6, and I'm quite an academic person. the jump from n5 to higher is massively underestimated, and the thought of having to deal with 6 assignments around the same time makes me feel a bit sick to be blunt, 6 highers would be a lot of unnecessary stress, as universities only look for 5 highers if you're applying in 6th year, and so it'd be wiser to spend your time putting more effort into those 5. 5 good grades is miles more valuable than 6 mediocre grades.

it might be worth seeing if you can study an SQA award or an extra n5 with less of a workload to fill that final collumn. you could also ask if you could volunteer in a class during those periods.
Original post by mary388
I’m confused as to how 5 highers would make a full timetable? I have six columns in my school.

Most schools have 5 columns in S5- there are a few that do 6, including yours.
I'm a little surprised myself. I did 5 Highers in fifth year and I didn't have a single free period because my timetable was completely full. I actually didn't even have enough classroom hours for one of my classes.
Reply 24
So it appears that it might be okay, provided I have enough periods for each subject?
Original post by mary388
So it appears that it might be okay, provided I have enough periods for each subject?

It's doable but quite stressful
I personally did 6 highers (out of choice) but I have quite a strong work ethic and am organised
I wouldn't personally do it unless you would want to do it. I'd probably ask again about doing 5 highers and having study periods- at our school we were registered for them and had a teacher monitor us to ensure people did work
Reply 26
Original post by AzureCeleste
It's doable but quite stressful
I personally did 6 highers (out of choice) but I have quite a strong work ethic and am organised
I wouldn't personally do it unless you would want to do it. I'd probably ask again about doing 5 highers and having study periods- at our school we were registered for them and had a teacher monitor us to ensure people did work

At national 5 (in the past academic year) I got AAAAB and a pass (I did a college course, hence the fact it is ungraded) so I’m not sure if that indicates 6 highers is achievable for me.
Original post by mary388
At national 5 (in the past academic year) I got AAAAB and a pass (I did a college course, hence the fact it is ungraded) so I’m not sure if that indicates 6 highers is achievable for me.

Just do 5 Highers and ask if you could just sit in another class for your 'sixth' Higher but not do the work/exams. Tell them you can just quietly do your other work. If they don't agree to that ask if you can audit a 6th class (go to class and listen to what the teacher says but not sit the exam).

Alternatively, just do one of the Nat 5s even if you don't think they're suitable for you.
Original post by mary388

Based on that, it shows no indication to me that you would be suitable, considering you only sat 5 exams (not even 6). When I did 6 highers, I'd done 8 nat 5's the year before (all with A's).

I suppose it partially depends on your target grades, but I'd rather get 4A's and a B at higher than 6B's (as the extra subject would mean you may have to spend less time per subject)

EDIT: just seen the college course as well. I don't know what the equates to (one nat 5, 2, 3?)
But if its a couple of nat 5's, then you may be suitable
(edited 4 years ago)
If you say 5 N5s and a college course last year, does that mean you would be doing one crash Higher this year?
I have a friend who took 5 Highers in school and taught himself a sixth. He did very well in all of them but found it very stressful (even having done the corresponding N5s for all his subjects). Personally I think 5 Highers and one crash Higher would be a lot of work and, as mentioned above, might cause you to end up with six ok Highers instead of five very good ones.
Reply 30
Original post by goldilocks12
If you say 5 N5s and a college course last year, does that mean you would be doing one crash Higher this year?
I have a friend who took 5 Highers in school and taught himself a sixth. He did very well in all of them but found it very stressful (even having done the corresponding N5s for all his subjects). Personally I think 5 Highers and one crash Higher would be a lot of work and, as mentioned above, might cause you to end up with six ok Highers instead of five very good ones.

No, it technically isn’t
A crash higher as far as I’m aware. It’s a college course.
Original post by animalmagic
Well that’s a new one for me. I’m speechless (that’s also very rare).

My school very nearly got rid of them as well which would have meant seniors would have had to take 6 subjects. Everyone and their parents complained so they axed it, thank god.
Reply 32
Original post by A1renegade
My school very nearly got rid of them as well which would have meant seniors would have had to take 6 subjects. Everyone and their parents complained so they axed it, thank god.

My school is very poorly rated in terms of people leaving with 5 highers. A lot of demotivated people meant they were using their study periods to go to the shop and buy snacks etc. Rather than study. There’s a few of us who because we did six national 5’s and want to continue those subjects have now been made to do six highers this year. It is ridiculous but I will just have to try my best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending