The Student Room Group

We need to stop Brexit

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
Yes - I had heard that. Not sure how British producers are going to compete though. Farmers are really struggling to recruit labour at the moment and whilst supermarkets are always going to force the lowest price, the idea that they can entice workers with better wages is going to happen in a global commodity based industry.

This. All the british people think they're too good for these jobs.
Reply 41
Original post by NickAlex12
Yes of course, if it ensures that British people get a better, livable wage.

They will need to, a lot of their costs have just gone up.

And there is the rub, there is some headroom re wages to costs, but if you start ratcheting up wages then costs of living will also likely rise, one feeds from the other.

At the end of the day you have two mechanisms in the long term that may improve quality of life for most individuals in a society, increase productivity and change distribution of earnings, but what you cannot do, in the long term, is merely bump up wages and think that will do the trick, sooner or later prices/cost of living catches up.

Take at look at the 1970s, look at the joys of government price/ income policies, great intentions but no solution to the issue.

Couple above with free trade at our borders to ROW ,so no impediment to much cheaper replacement items from abroad ,and you relive the 1970s/1980s ,but this time not with heavy manufacturing, we get priced out of the international marketplace except to countries with a similar standard of living to our own- catch is we are just leaving such a marketplace- a big chunk of it was the EU.
Reply 42
you sad looser
Reply 43
Original post by imlikeahermit
This. All the british people think they're too good for these jobs.

No,farmers are exploiting cheap labour,they have been since Blair opened the doors to new europe 2004,I used to pick fruit and crops in 2003 in leeds and was getting paid £12 per hour.**** face.
Reply 44
No,farmers are exploiting cheap labour,they have been since Blair opened the doors to new europe 2004,I used to pick fruit and crops in 2003 in leeds and was getting paid £12 per hour.**** face.
Reply 45
Original post by Pleasantri
As there will be riots and civil unrest. How can we go about reversing the decision?

Move to another country
Reply 46
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Bloody Vikings, coming over here and taking our jobs.

well said
I agree it needs to be stopped but what can we do about it? I emailed my MP and he gave my some copypasta bs about "the will of the people"
brexit means brexit
Original post by pipthesqueak
brexit means brexit

What do you mean by that?

Brexit means different things to different people.
During the campaign it was repeatedly stated that leaving the EU didn't mean leaving the Single Market, that's a MASSIVE difference in what Brexit could mean. Some people think Brexit means reversing everything that has happened since the European Project began, going back to shillings and sixpence and using pounds and ounces instead of these scary new 'kilogram' things. Some people think voting for Brexit will immediately get rid of all those brown people.
I'm assuming you're not so rude or foolish as to mean those racist and backwards things. So what does Brexit mean to you?
Original post by DraconisAudiat
What do you mean by that?

Brexit means different things to different people.
During the campaign it was repeatedly stated that leaving the EU didn't mean leaving the Single Market, that's a MASSIVE difference in what Brexit could mean. Some people think Brexit means reversing everything that has happened since the European Project began, going back to shillings and sixpence and using pounds and ounces instead of these scary new 'kilogram' things. Some people think voting for Brexit will immediately get rid of all those brown people.
I'm assuming you're not so rude or foolish as to mean those racist and backwards things. So what does Brexit mean to you?

oh i was just quoting what Theresa May has once said... she literally said brexit means brexit...

this is pretty awkward
lol my bad. I'm so used to arguing against people that really think "brexit means brexit" that I didn't even notice it was a joke.
Yeah that's pretty much what my MP said - even though he personally voted remain and he thinks remain is the best option he's going to continue to support Leave because of the will of the people.
I called him a coward for putting his job before the future of the country and for some reason he didn't reply...
lol my bad. I'm so used to arguing against people that really think "brexit means brexit" that I didn't even notice it was a joke.
Yeah that's pretty much what my MP said - even though he personally voted remain and he thinks remain is the best option he's going to continue to support Leave because of the will of the people.
I called him a coward for putting his job before the future of the country and for some reason he didn't reply...

His job is to be the reputation of the peoples wishes.

You people make me smile, where you get off thinking you can decide what vote you will abide by and which you will not.
Original post by Pleasantri
As there will be riots and civil unrest. How can we go about reversing the decision?

Ah yes, because we never had riots when in the EU. *laughs in 2011 London*
Original post by Burton Bridge
where you get off thinking you can decide what vote you will abide by and which you will not.

You're quite right, we only ever vote on issues once even if it's years later and new information changes people's opinions. That's why we're still under a Whig government from the 1695 General Election.

If the majority of the people and the majority of the politicians elected by the people all think Brexit is a bad idea, why should we continue with it?
You're quite right, we only ever vote on issues once even if it's years later and new information changes people's opinions. That's why we're still under a Whig government from the 1695 General Election.

If the majority of the people and the majority of the politicians elected by the people all think Brexit is a bad idea, why should we continue with it?

Because they was in mass elected on pro Brexit manifestos.

I will ignore the other bile you talk
Because they was in mass elected on pro Brexit manifestos.

I will ignore the other bile you talk

52/48 with 72% turnout is not, and should never have been taken as a mandate. Christ, you wouldn't even get a union to strike with that. You're the one talking bile. What is best for this country? Remaining. While there is no denying that us departing will have some effect on the countries within the EU it will have an absolute profound effect on us, how can you not see this? Are you economically retarded? And don't spout that **** about carrying out the will of the British people for gods sake...
52/48 with 72% turnout is not, and should never have been taken as a mandate. Christ, you wouldn't even get a union to strike with that. You're the one talking bile. What is best for this country? Remaining. While there is no denying that us departing will have some effect on the countries within the EU it will have an absolute profound effect on us, how can you not see this? Are you economically retarded? And don't spout that **** about carrying out the will of the British people for gods sake...

Oh dear, oh dear, when you have quite finished throwing around you're insults in you're rarther childish manner. Maybe you can review the sentence you highlighted and the question it was a relevant answer too? You would find i was not talking about the 2016 referendum.

Take a deep breath and read the topics properly, if you are insistent on breaking forum rules by insulting people you could at least, do if in a way that does not make you look silly in the process.
Oh dear, oh dear, when you have quite finished throwing around you're insults in you're rarther childish manner. Maybe you can review the sentence you highlighted and the question it was a relevant answer too? You would find i was not talking about the 2016 referendum.

Take a deep breath and read the topics properly, if you are insistent on breaking forum rules by insulting people you could at least, do if in a way that does not make you look silly in the process.

I just like winding you up to be honest...
I just like winding you up to be honest...

How convenient, you not great at it to be fair, I'm quite relaxed and enjoying this :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest