The Student Room Group

Second degree and funding

Hi guys! I just need some info please if anyone can help! I have previously done a degree in 2005 and I’m starting another one in sept this year. My first was law and this one is social work. I didn’t expect funding for the second one but when I applied through sf my online account showed that I would receive both tuition funding and maintenance because social work is a full time exception course. I was over the moon! However I then changed the university I was going to go to as I received an offer from a different one first. Anyway so after changing it my updated finance details showed no tuition fees! I was confused so I called sf and spoke to a lovely adviser who looked over my application and said she can’t see why I’m now not entitled because social work is an exception course so will do a Manual change on my account and this will show in 6 days ( tomorrow) that I will receive both funding! I’m not convinced and just wondered If anyone has been in the same situation! Any help appreciated. Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Melcjack
Hi guys! I just need some info please if anyone can help! I have previously done a degree in 2005 and I’m starting another one in sept this year. My first was law and this one is social work. I didn’t expect funding for the second one but when I applied through sf my online account showed that I would receive both tuition funding and maintenance because social work is a full time exception course. I was over the moon! However I then changed the university I was going to go to as I received an offer from a different one first. Anyway so after changing it my updated finance details showed no tuition fees! I was confused so I called sf and spoke to a lovely adviser who looked over my application and said she can’t see why I’m now not entitled because social work is an exception course so will do a Manual change on my account and this will show in 6 days ( tomorrow) that I will receive both funding! I’m not convinced and just wondered If anyone has been in the same situation! Any help appreciated. Thanks

Many people take allied health courses as second degrees, so Student Finance will know what to do. As long as you meet the eligibility criteria (i.e. place of residence etc.), then there should be no problem with you receiving both maintenance and tuition fee loans.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. Student finance have said yes and no continuously since April but now saying no. I’m not entitled to fee support
Thanks for your reply. Student finance have said yes and no continuously since April but now saying no. I’m not entitled to fee support

That seems odd. Do you meet all the other eligibility criteria for funding, bar having a previous degree?
Reply 4
Yes I do but it’s only an exception course with regards to maintenance apparently. To be honest Iv been told so many things I’m not sure if they are right or not
Yes I do but it’s only an exception course with regards to maintenance apparently. To be honest Iv been told so many things I’m not sure if they are right or not

I've found this: http://www.slc-apps.co.uk/exchange/issue01/previous-study-rules-explained.html

From what this webpage says, it does look like Social Work isn't eligible for a tuition fee loan if it's a second degree. You can only get a maintenance loan.
Reply 6
Thank you so much for that!!!! At least I know now. :smile:

Original post by PhoenixFortune
I've found this: http://www.slc-apps.co.uk/exchange/issue01/previous-study-rules-explained.html

From what this webpage says, it does look like Social Work isn't eligible for a tuition fee loan if it's a second degree. You can only get a maintenance loan.

Hi there,

If you already hold a Degree qualification then you will not be eligible to receive a Tuition Fee Loan for a second degree, as you are studying Social work and this is considered an exception course therefore; you will be eligible for maintenance support only including supplementary grants and DSAs. Apologies you were advised previously you would receive the Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Amy
Reply 8
Thanks for the reply. I know now what I’m entitled to. Iv put in a complaint to sf because 3 different advisers have told me wrong info since April and Iv actually left my job so I’m now due to start in sept with no income and 2 small children to support. I’m furious and I am taking it further. Sf advisers need to be retrained

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending