The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

UOM Mechatronics/electrical engneering student help

I am considering attending uni of Manchester for mechatronics and would like to know how the course is and if you feel like you are supported well by the department and that the course runs smoothly. If you are a mechatronics student then what do you think of the mechanical modules and the lecturers for the modules? Is the mechatronics course any good?
Reply 1
Hello. I am currently in my 2nd year of mechatronics, (just finished first year). The course is pretty good and yes, you do feel supported by the department and the staff is very friendly. About the mechanics modules, I can't really tell you that much because in the first year every student of EEE shares the same subjects and lectures. We don't cover a lot of mechanics in the first year, just in a subject of 2nd semester and just a little bit, but I've heard that in 2nd year you'll see more mechanics. Most of the lectures are really good.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by FarukFS
Hello. I am currently in my 2nd year of mechatronics, (just finished first year). The course is pretty good and yes, you do feel supported by the department and the staff is very friendly. About the mechanics modules, I can't really tell you that much because in the first year every student of EEE shares the same subjects and lectures. We don't cover a lot of mechanics in the first year, just in a subject of 2nd semester and just a little bit, but I've heard that in 2nd year you'll see more mechanics. Most of the lectures are really good.

Thanks for your reply,
I just have a few more questions (sorry to bombard you with all of this)
Would you say your personal tutor and tutorials are helpful and do you go through work in them, how many students are in your tutor group and how many would you say are on your course?
Also, how do you find life in Manchester, some say it can be quite lonely and isolating because its not exactly a proper campus. Since the engineering building is in North campus, would you think it be better to get into uni halls as close as possible or would it not matter. Where did you stay and how was the travel to the campus? How did you find the engineering facilities, labs and lecture halls, were any old /outdated (I didn't get to see on my open day. I know the buildings quite old )
How ethnically diverse is the course /university. Are there many Pakistani students?
Do you have any regrets about going to study in Manchester for this course? Would you have gone anywhere else?

Once again sorry for the massive list of questions. I haven't been able to get in contact with a mechatronics student at Manchester yet
Reply 3
Original post by john_iqbal786
Thanks for your reply,
I just have a few more questions (sorry to bombard you with all of this)
Would you say your personal tutor and tutorials are helpful and do you go through work in them, how many students are in your tutor group and how many would you say are on your course?
Also, how do you find life in Manchester, some say it can be quite lonely and isolating because its not exactly a proper campus. Since the engineering building is in North campus, would you think it be better to get into uni halls as close as possible or would it not matter. Where did you stay and how was the travel to the campus? How did you find the engineering facilities, labs and lecture halls, were any old /outdated (I didn't get to see on my open day. I know the buildings quite old )
How ethnically diverse is the course /university. Are there many Pakistani students?
Do you have any regrets about going to study in Manchester for this course? Would you have gone anywhere else?

Once again sorry for the massive list of questions. I haven't been able to get in contact with a mechatronics student at Manchester yet

It's ok, dont worry hahaha. Yes, the tutorial sessions are very useful as you will be given a sheet of exercises of every subject that you need to complete every week, if you don't understand a question you can ask any of your friends and if they also don't know how to do it, you can ask your tutor and he will go through it. In my tutorial sessions there were approximately 6-8 students. In the course approximately 250 students because as I told you, in the first year all EEE students share the same modules. It can be lonely if you don't socialize with people but since the first day I met many friends. It is true that is not a proper campus but it is very sociable. I stayed in Denmark road which is in city campus because I wanted my own toilet, but if that's not a problem Wright Robinson hall is the closest to North campus. I used to take the bus everyday, it was like 7 minutes ride, or you can walk from city campus and it's like 15-20 minutes. The labs have very good equipment that they'll teach you how to use and it's not old at all, same thing with the lecture halls, most of them will be in Renolds building which looks a little bit old from the outside but the lecture halls that you'll use are relatively new and all of your lectures will be recorded so you can watch them later online. The course is very very ethnically diverse and there are many Pakistani students and also many many Muslim students. I don't regret going to Manchester.
Original post by FarukFS
It's ok, dont worry hahaha. Yes, the tutorial sessions are very useful as you will be given a sheet of exercises of every subject that you need to complete every week, if you don't understand a question you can ask any of your friends and if they also don't know how to do it, you can ask your tutor and he will go through it. In my tutorial sessions there were approximately 6-8 students. In the course approximately 250 students because as I told you, in the first year all EEE students share the same modules. It can be lonely if you don't socialize with people but since the first day I met many friends. It is true that is not a proper campus but it is very sociable. I stayed in Denmark road which is in city campus because I wanted my own toilet, but if that's not a problem Wright Robinson hall is the closest to North campus. I used to take the bus everyday, it was like 7 minutes ride, or you can walk from city campus and it's like 15-20 minutes. The labs have very good equipment that they'll teach you how to use and it's not old at all, same thing with the lecture halls, most of them will be in Renolds building which looks a little bit old from the outside but the lecture halls that you'll use are relatively new and all of your lectures will be recorded so you can watch them later online. The course is very very ethnically diverse and there are many Pakistani students and also many many Muslim students. I don't regret going to Manchester.

Thanks for the reply, were the Pakistani and Muslim students mainly international? Or were there a large amount from the UK?
With regards to the accommodation, I heard the city accommodation is mainly international students, would you say this is true?

I've also been looking at the course structure and been comparing it with another uni I am considering which is leeds. It seems every module at Manchester is assessed by exams which count as a high percentage of the module. Whereas leeds has more coursework and periodic tests which are assessed. How did you find the large amount of exams? Did you find that you were able to do well in them even though there are many which all count for a large amount of credits?

Also, do you have any tips for settling in or making friends at the uni /on the course.
Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by john_iqbal786
Thanks for the reply, were the Pakistani and Muslim students mainly international? Or were there a large amount from the UK?
With regards to the accommodation, I heard the city accommodation is mainly international students, would you say this is true?

I've also been looking at the course structure and been comparing it with another uni I am considering which is leeds. It seems every module at Manchester is assessed by exams which count as a high percentage of the module. Whereas leeds has more coursework and periodic tests which are assessed. How did you find the large amount of exams? Did you find that you were able to do well in them even though there are many which all count for a large amount of credits?

Also, do you have any tips for settling in or making friends at the uni /on the course.
Thanks

Hello, sorry for taking too long. The majority Muslim people that I met were International. Yes, in the city accommodations you will find mainly international students. Yeah, I think every module is assessed with an exam, you also have courseworks and labs in some of the modules that are also assessed, but most of the total grade comes from the exam, (usually 60-70% and sometimes 80%). I won't lie to you, I found it hard, especially in the first semester because we had like 6 exams and not enough time, however in the second semester we had about the same quantity but more time so it wasn't that bad. Hopefully I was able to do well in all of the modules, I think if you pay attention, show interest and ask questions, you'll be fine.

About the tips for socializing and making friends, don't worry about that, I remember that in the first lecture I arrived like 10 minutes before it started and there were a lot of students outside talking to each other and I did the same thing. One thing that I found more easy is to speak to people that speak your same language, so if you are walking and listen to someone that's speaks your language, join the conversation.
Original post by FarukFS
Hello, sorry for taking too long. The majority Muslim people that I met were International. Yes, in the city accommodations you will find mainly international students. Yeah, I think every module is assessed with an exam, you also have courseworks and labs in some of the modules that are also assessed, but most of the total grade comes from the exam, (usually 60-70% and sometimes 80%). I won't lie to you, I found it hard, especially in the first semester because we had like 6 exams and not enough time, however in the second semester we had about the same quantity but more time so it wasn't that bad. Hopefully I was able to do well in all of the modules, I think if you pay attention, show interest and ask questions, you'll be fine.

About the tips for socializing and making friends, don't worry about that, I remember that in the first lecture I arrived like 10 minutes before it started and there were a lot of students outside talking to each other and I did the same thing. One thing that I found more easy is to speak to people that speak your same language, so if you are walking and listen to someone that's speaks your language, join the conversation.

Thanks for the reply, I know your only second year but have you looked into the graduate prospects much for mechatronics courses? I was looking at another university, whose course I guess is more of a mechatronic one but it seems since its quite broad it lacks some depth and prospects aren't that great. For the Manchester course, it seems its just the same as the electrical engineering course, just with 1 or 2 module energy modules replaced with mechanics and so the name is different. Do you feel that with this course you will get into electrical engineering jobs OK? or do you think you will be stuck with mainly control and automation roles. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending