The Student Room Group

Email saying I don’t have enough years to repeat

I got an email saying that I didn’t have enough years left to complete my degree.
I applied as a new student as I had to leave university three weeks after starting my first year because of ill-health and now I am ready to go back after having a year off.
I reapplied and got an email saying I didn’t qualify for tuition loan as I’d already done two years, my first year was a foundation year, and I’d only done three weeks of my second year. Granted I’ve done one module of open degree since.
Help, is there any way I can get my first year financed? According to the email I had only got two years of tuition left .
Original post by hellylou
I got an email saying that I didn’t have enough years left to complete my degree.
I applied as a new student as I had to leave university three weeks after starting my first year because of ill-health and now I am ready to go back after having a year off.
I reapplied and got an email saying I didn’t qualify for tuition loan as I’d already done two years, my first year was a foundation year, and I’d only done three weeks of my second year. Granted I’ve done one module of open degree since.
Help, is there any way I can get my first year financed? According to the email I had only got two years of tuition left .

Hi there,

Is your new course a Full Time Course or Part Time Course?

Previous study at the higher education level may be considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance. To calculate your entitlement we do a previous study calculation as follows: Duration of new course + an additional year any years of previous study = student’s entitlement.

If you had to leave your course due to ill health then we have something called Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) where students can be awarded an extra year of tuition fee support (applied to the next available Academic Year) if they are able to send in evidence of CPR.There are many different reasons as to why a student may have had their study affected;

Illness
Bereavement
Family crisis
Pregnancy
Unavoidable caring responsibility
Failing to complete a course studied abroad

We would also require you to send in evidence detailing your CPR along with supporting evidence to confirm this.

Thanks, Amy

Unfortunately, I think the few weeks you did of your second year will count as a year for student finance purposes. So, from their records, you've already had your +1 year (the foundation year) and 1 year of a full time course. Under normal circumstances, you'd only be entitled to your full course length -1 year.

To get full funding for a new degree, you'll have to persuade them to fund another year under their "compelling personal reasons" arrangements as described above. You'll probably need to evidence why you left the course. Do you have any records relating to your ill health? Could your GP (for example) write a letter to explain why you'd have been unable to continue with your degree at that time?
Reply 3
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi there,

Is your new course a Full Time Course or Part Time Course?

Previous study at the higher education level may be considered when assessing student's entitlement to finance. To calculate your entitlement we do a previous study calculation as follows: Duration of new course + an additional year any years of previous study = student’s entitlement.

If you had to leave your course due to ill health then we have something called Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) where students can be awarded an extra year of tuition fee support (applied to the next available Academic Year) if they are able to send in evidence of CPR.There are many different reasons as to why a student may have had their study affected;

Illness
Bereavement
Family crisis
Pregnancy
Unavoidable caring responsibility
Failing to complete a course studied abroad

We would also require you to send in evidence detailing your CPR along with supporting evidence to confirm this.

Thanks, Amy

The new course is repeating what I was studying previously I was doing a ba art and design with foundation year and after the foundation switched to just fine art but I fell ill and ended up in hospital for 3 months 4 weeks into the first year of the actual degree and they’ve agreed to accept me back into first year considering I’d been there less than a month. I’ve already sent them my pip documents for disabled support allowance which talk about how it had affected me.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Unfortunately, I think the few weeks you did of your second year will count as a year for student finance purposes. So, from their records, you've already had your +1 year (the foundation year) and 1 year of a full time course. Under normal circumstances, you'd only be entitled to your full course length -1 year.

To get full funding for a new degree, you'll have to persuade them to fund another year under their "compelling personal reasons" arrangements as described above. You'll probably need to evidence why you left the course. Do you have any records relating to your ill health? Could your GP (for example) write a letter to explain why you'd have been unable to continue with your degree at that time?

The foundation year (year 0) isn’t part of a degree it’s like doing a levels to get onto the degree, which I did in able to do the BA in the first place. I left as I was admitted to hospital with a serious illness, all of which I have letters regarding and they already have my pip documents to confirm the illness as it still effects me.
The foundation year (year 0) isn’t part of a degree it’s like doing a levels to get onto the degree, which I did in able to do the BA in the first place. I left as I was admitted to hospital with a serious illness, all of which I have letters regarding and they already have my pip documents to confirm the illness as it still effects me.

I know what a foundation year is.

If you received student finance for this year, then it counts as your "+1" year of funding. Under normal circumstances, you get funding for the "the length of your course +1 extra year". This +1 year can be if you repeat a year or if you do an optional placement year, but if you do a foundation year, then it uses up your automatic "+1" year.

If you didn't receive student finance for this year, then it obviously didn't use up your +1 year, and you need to explain this to SFE.

It sounds like you have lots of evidence to back up why you had to drop out, so hopefully you will qualify for additional funding. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending