The Student Room Group

Ask Pearson your questions ahead of A level results day!

Scroll to see replies

**** edexcel maths ask them if they are the devil
Reply 81
Original post by studentraps
What makes you think the grade boundaries will decrease? Did you not see the difficulty of paper 3 last year and yet the grade boundaries were still quite high.
paper 1 and paper 2 harder than last year paper 3 easier than last year and leaked meaning the grade boundaries will stay quite similar give or take 3 marks. Not to mention there were some mentions of a paper 2 leak and also the fact that further mathematicians sitting the exam will also raise the grade boundaries.There is a lot to worry about people's medicine and uni places or degrees are on the line.
In the past when this has happend with c4 leaks the grade boundaries stayed exactly the same so i woudn't be too optimistic.Edexcel could easily decrease each grade boundary by 3 marks dosent make that much of a difference the cheaters still have a much greater advantage and most people would have missed their grades

Last year paper 3 was difficult, due to a difficult stats section. I am saying the grade boundaries will decrease because of the difficulty of those pure papers, while the stats section this year was a lot more easy, the mechanics section was quite similar in difficulty. I strongly doubt that the easier stats section will make up for the increase in difficulty of those pure papers. You make a valid point where you mention the grade boundaries will stay quite similar, which I do see happening, though I do see a marginal drop in grade boundaries across all grades. Comparing occurrences from the old specification to this is like comparing apples and oranges, there are also far too many factors in play to be able to make a fair comparison between this set of exams and others (including those from last year) which is why there is still a lot of uncertainty. But, I do see the grade boundaries dropping slightly.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Lance18
Last year paper 3 was difficult, due to a difficult stats section. I am saying the grade boundaries will decrease because of the difficulty of those pure papers, while the stats section this year was a lot more easy, the mechanics section was quite similar in difficulty. I strongly doubt that the easier stats section will make up for the increase in difficulty of those pure papers. You make a valid point where you mention the grade boundaries will stay quite similar, which I do see happening, though I do see a marginal drop in grade boundaries across all grades. Comparing occurrences from the old specification to this is like comparing apples and oranges, there are also far too many factors in play to be able to make a fair comparison between this set of exams and others (including those from last year) which is why there is still a lot of uncertainty. But, I do see the grade boundaries dropping slightly.

Spoiler

Lol I thought the mechanics section was way harder than stats
Reply 83
Original post by kkllookkkk
Lol I thought the mechanics section was way harder than stats

I am comparing them to last year's paper 3, not each other. (Although I agree, mechanics was harder than stats)
Original post by Lance18

Spoiler

Thats how exactly i look at things too but then the slight decrease is so unjustified and it would of been a major decrease had paper 3 not been leaked. I am just frustrated because the grade boundaries are too high for the difficulty of our exams but hey there is always next year.
Good luck anyway im sure you smashed it.
Original post by studentraps
Thats how exactly i look at things too but then the slight decrease is so unjustified and it would of been a major decrease had paper 3 not been leaked. I am just frustrated because the grade boundaries are too high for the difficulty of our exams but hey there is always next year.
Good luck anyway im sure you smashed it.

this is a bit presumptive, just wait and see
I acc hope an A* is around 60%
There have been a number of Edexcel leaks at both GCSE and A level in the past couple of years, what has been Edexcel's plan to combat thks. Moving forward what is their new plan.
Original post by Sinnoh
A Riemann sum is kind of (or an approximation to) what an integral actually is - a sum of infinitely many infinitely small "strips" under a function, which is what the diagram in the question was showing.
Most people complained because they didn't know what δ\delta was, but really all that mattered was that it tended to 0. But if you were being really precise, the given formula isn't quite right.

What did you have to do exactly for that question? I remember doing something along the lines of integrating it.
Reply 89
Original post by SkylineS4
What did you have to do exactly for that question? I remember doing something along the lines of integrating it.

yeah, it's literally just this:

Original post by ComicalUsername
There have been a number of Edexcel leaks at both GCSE and A level in the past couple of years, what has been Edexcel's plan to combat thks. Moving forward what is their new plan.

IIRC every single one of the maths GCSE leaks was fake. They were just old papers with the date on the front switched.
Original post by Sinnoh
IIRC every single one of the maths GCSE leaks was fake. They were just old papers with the date on the front switched.

I know the GCSE was not leaked this year but a few years back I think it was but INAL.
Edexcel are including those 2 leaked qs , they also think that paper 2 was ‘fair and valid’ tf
Edexcel are including those 2 leaked qs , they also think that paper 2 was ‘fair and valid’ tf

The papers were fair and valid. The papers were the right level of difficulty.
Original post by MediocreSince01
The papers were fair and valid. The papers were the right level of difficulty.

For you but not for 90% of the U.K.
Original post by Fighter365

Apparently this person doesn’t even do edexcel

I didn't do Edexcel.

The papers were fair, get over it.

Boundaries will reflect difficulty.
Original post by MediocreSince01
I didn't do Edexcel.

The papers were fair, get over it.

Boundaries will reflect difficulty.

Apparently this person doesn’t even do edexcel

What a weirdo 😂 some people
What a weirdo 😂 some people

You can't argue with the fact that Edexcel have done analysis on the papers to determine if the papers were too difficult - and they determined they were not. I don't understand how people can still complain and say they were inaccessible.
Reply 98
I took the edexcel maths a level exam this year and have been absolutely appalled by the nature of it all. After sitting a difficult paper 1 exam I had the hope that paper 2 would be easier yet it was almost impossible. People left the exam hall crying, devastated, feeling that they had lost their opportunity to go to their desired university, myself included. The exam contained unfamiliar notation and was impossible to do in the 2 hour time that was given. Myself and many others were devastated about the exam and the impact of it was upsetting. I couldn't think straight for a couple of days with it constantly playing on my mind that I had ruined my chance of university. A petition on change who has around 13,000 signatures asking for a reassessment of situation shares these views in the comments with students, including myself, being thrown off other exams due to their damaged mental state following the maths exams this year. I feel that my exams the following day were greatly affected as were many other peoples because of the consequences that followed the unfair maths exams, which only further maths students seemed able to do. This makes matters worse as it will be hard to distinguish between those studying maths and those further maths to determine a fair grade. I feel that our predicted grades should be taken into consideration because these exams are in no way a fair representation of the 2 years of hard work that us students have put into this maths exam. It feels as though 2 years of work has been wasted and will go unacknowledged thanks to the difficulty of the exams which left me and many others leaving most of the paper blank, not knowing where to start with a lot of the questions despite being predicted an A*. Paper 3 was an absolute disgrace, being leaked for the third year in a row. Edexcel needs to be held accountable and something needs to be done because unfortunately it was not stopped the first time which has allowed it to happen again...and again. Those that worked hard will no longer be able to be differentiated from those who have not and who have cheated. I say that this maths a level has taken a massive toll on my mood, mental health and has ultimately affected the remainder of my exams as I cant stop worrying about my university place and what will be done by edexcel to resolve this issue. Lowering grade boundries as edexcel have suggested will still punish those who have worked extremely hard yet were unable to even attempt many of the questions. Ultimately this has been an outright disaster and has caused many students to withdraw university applications and look for other alternatives as they have felt that due to this maths a level,they have lost their chance at their future. Edexcel has once again messed with the future of us students and it will not be tolerated. 13,000 students signing a petition surely sends out a message that this is a huge widespread problem. I hope something can be done and the issue can be raised and made more aware because I am honestly dreading results day as are the majority of maths students and edexcel has played with our future and caused a knock on affect to other exams
How does it feel being the nations most hated exam board?

Quick Reply

Latest