The Student Room Group

*EMERGENCY*- regarding adjustment/clearing

I'll try to keep this as short as possible- I currently have an offer for a degree at Durham (which I need A*AA for)- I'm predicted A*A*A. However, a few weeks ago I found a degree I much prefer at Warwick (which I'd need AAA) for. My question is if I get my predicted grades (and thus exceed the grades needed for Durham) can I apply for Warwick? And if I get the grades for Durham (but do not EXCEED them) do I go through adjustment or clearing?

Thanks!
Original post by tabidavies
I'll try to keep this as short as possible- I currently have an offer for a degree at Durham (which I need A*AA for)- I'm predicted A*A*A. However, a few weeks ago I found a degree I much prefer at Warwick (which I'd need AAA) for. My question is if I get my predicted grades (and thus exceed the grades needed for Durham) can I apply for Warwick? And if I get the grades for Durham (but do not EXCEED them) do I go through adjustment or clearing?

Thanks!

Yes via Adjustment.

Clearing.
Reply 2
In order to apply for adjustment you need to have actually exceeded your offer, not just met it. So if you met your offer exactly you'd have to go through clearing if you wanted to change courses. If the course is still available and it's not full then you can apply. Have you checked to see if it's on UCAS's course list?
Original post by tabidavies

Thanks!

To go through adjustment you need to meet all your offer conditions and exceed at least one. Your predicted grades aren't relevant- so if you get A*A*A, then you'd be eligible for adjustment, but not if you got A*AA or A*A*B. If you get A*A*A, you can use adjustment, but obviously Warwick may not have a space available on the course you want.

If you get A*AA or lower, then if you really want to change courses, you'd need to apply via clearing. Do be aware that most unis won't give you a firm offer, and some may not even talk to you, until you've declined your place at Durham, so by trying to change courses in this way, you could end up with neither course. If that's something you're happy to risk, that's fine, but do think about what you'd do if you ended up in this situation!
Above post correct, you will have to self-release into clearing if you meet Durham's offer. Also no harm in giving Warwick a call to see the likelihood of your preferred course actually being available as there's no guarantee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending