The Student Room Group

Want to take A level physics but I hate some of it ?

I want to take maths , further maths and physics for a level next month, but I kind of hate electricity and mechanics. It bored me so much in GCSE and it was so hard to comprehend. What kind of topics are there that are really interesting? And what should I do to enjoy the subject more ? How did you find it? And what grade did you get?

Doing AQA physics btw

(edited 4 years ago)
astrophysics, nuclear and particle physics, SHM and waves are good... you have thermodynamics too which is very interesting
a lot of mechanics you study in physics is also in maths.
Reply 3
Mechanics is a bit more interesting in A-level physics - and it's a mandatory part of A-level maths anyway.
To enjoy the subject more, do some wider reading. If there's one disappointing thing about A-level physics is that it doesn't have enough maths.
Reply 4
Original post by _Sora._
I want to take maths , further maths and physics for a level next month, but I kind of hate electricity and mechanics. It bored me so much in GCSE and it was so hard to comprehend. What kind of topics are there that are really interesting? And what should I do to enjoy the subject more ? How did you find it? And what grade did you get?

If you’re doing OCR physics, electricity and mechanics make up most of the year 12 content. It gets much better in year 13 when the topics are a lot more interesting. I’d recommend reading the spec just so you know what you’re signing up for. Doing physics will help so much with maths and further maths a level because they cross over massively with mechanics.
Reply 5
Original post by oboejoe
If you’re doing OCR physics, electricity and mechanics make up most of the year 12 content. It gets much better in year 13 when the topics are a lot more interesting. I’d recommend reading the spec just so you know what you’re signing up for. Doing physics will help so much with maths and further maths a level because they cross over massively with mechanics.

I’m doing AQA physics, any difference ? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by _Sora._

Doing AQA physics btw

Might not be the same considering I'm a Scottish student, but I know how you feel about electricity. GOD, I hated that with a passion. I was fine with everything else, but electricity was so **** lol.
Original post by _Sora._

Doing AQA physics btw

I'll be doing physics at uni this year, and despite that I always despised electricity and Hooke's law/Young Modulus at A-level.
The other topics are interesting enough to more than make up for it
Reply 8
Original post by _Sora._
I’m doing AQA physics, any difference ? :smile:

Well there's a fair bit on mechanics yes but also material properties, waves, optics and a bit of particle physics and quantum physics too.
There are "only" two chapters on electricity but they're important.

But yeah the more interesting topics are reserved for year 13. Gas laws, fields, electromagnetism and nuclear physics plus a few others
Original post by _Sora._

Doing AQA physics btw

I'm doing the same a levels

Quick Reply

Latest