The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hi all,

This is a long one so I will try to stick to the main points.
Myself and my girlfriend have separated about 1-2 months ago and we own a property together. She has moved out and cleared the house for the most part and I am the only one living there. My question is where does this leave me in respect of my student finance as she was the one originally supporting my application. I am going into my 2nd year in nursing.

Any help would be much appreciated, especially for any additional support I can get.
Original post by Sal90
Hi all,

Myself and my girlfriend have separated about 1-2 months ago and we own a property together. She has moved out and cleared the house for the most part and I am the only one living there. My question is where does this leave me in respect of my student finance as she was the one originally supporting my application. I am going into my 2nd year in nursing.

Any help would be much appreciated, especially for any additional support I can get.

you ll need proof of separation like the council tax bill in just your name and then it could be just off your income.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
you ll need proof of separation like the council tax bill in just your name and then it could be just off your income.

Thanks for your reply.
I am not on the council tax as I am a disregarded person (due to being a student). Other bills are still in both of our names but she is not paying them. Do I have to show proof of separation as we are not married ?
Original post by Sal90
Thanks for your reply.
I am not on the council tax as I am a disregarded person (due to being a student). Other bills are still in both of our names but she is not paying them. Do I have to show proof of separation as we are not married ?

You may be okay without too much evidence , I would speak to student finance to know for sure
Reply 4
You may be okay without too much evidence , I would speak to student finance to know for sure

I am going to, I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had a situation like this before and how it was approached.
Do you think they can withdraw my application altogether? It's mainly the maintenance loan that I am worried about as the tuition fee loan is another aspect that's not related.
Original post by Sal90
I am going to, I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had a situation like this before and how it was approached.
Do you think they can withdraw my application altogether? It's mainly the maintenance loan that I am worried about as the tuition fee loan is another aspect that's not related.

they wont completely withdraw it without you asking them to
Reply 6
they wont completely withdraw it without you asking them to

I see.
Am I right in thinking that the first part of the maintenance loan is not income assessed, it is only the higher amount that is income based is that correct?
Would this situation have any bearing on the tuition fee at all ?
Original post by Sal90
I see.
Am I right in thinking that the first part of the maintenance loan is not income assessed, it is only the higher amount that is income based is that correct?
Would this situation have any bearing on the tuition fee at all ?

Yes you re right and no the tution fee isn't affected
Original post by Sal90
Hi all,

Hi there,

If you have recently separated from your partner and they previously supported your application you would be required to send in separation evidence. The evidence we would look for would be a Council tax bill showing an accepted discount, if you do not have one of these we would then request:

Tenancy agreement or mortgage statement in your name only, dated after your change in marital status; and 2 different household bills in your name only, dated after your change in marital status (such as gas, electric water, or any other household bills you may have).

This will not impact your Tuition Fee Loan, if you are separated and send the required evidence into us we will then be able to assess your Maintenance Loan on your household income alone. Additionally, you are also eligible to receive the non income assessed rate Maintenance Loan that is not based on the household income figure if this is what you would prefer.

Thanks, Amy
Reply 9
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi there,

If you have recently separated from your partner and they previously supported your application you would be required to send in separation evidence. The evidence we would look for would be a Council tax bill showing an accepted discount, if you do not have one of these we would then request:

Tenancy agreement or mortgage statement in your name only, dated after your change in marital status; and 2 different household bills in your name only, dated after your change in marital status (such as gas, electric water, or any other household bills you may have).

This will not impact your Tuition Fee Loan, if you are separated and send the required evidence into us we will then be able to assess your Maintenance Loan on your household income alone. Additionally, you are also eligible to receive the non income assessed rate Maintenance Loan that is not based on the household income figure if this is what you would prefer.

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply.

We are not married but the house (and the mortgage) is in both of our names. We are trying to sell the property but it is a long process. I can not afford to take on the mortgage myself, for the simple fact that I am a full-time student and I am relying on the full maintenance loan to survive my degree.

Would a council tax bill showing just my name be sufficient proof of my circumstances ?

What other options do I have ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sal90
Hi Amy,

Thanks for your reply.

We are not married but the house (and the mortgage) is in both of our names. We are trying to sell the property but it is a long process. I can not afford to take on the mortgage myself, for the simple fact that I am a full-time student and I am relying on the full maintenance loan to survive my degree.

What other options do I have ?

Hi Sal,

As you are now living on your own have you applied for the single person discount through your Council?

If you do not have any further evidence, you can send in the Tenancy/Mortgage agreement with your two household bills and a cover letter explaining your situation our assessors will review this however it may not be sufficient. If they are unable to accept this, they will request further evidence from you.

Thanks, Amy
Reply 11
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi Sal,

As you are now living on your own have you applied for the single person discount through your Council?

If you do not have any further evidence, you can send in the Tenancy/Mortgage agreement with your two household bills and a cover letter explaining your situation our assessors will review this however it may not be sufficient. If they are unable to accept this, they will request further evidence from you.

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy,

No, I have not because I was not even aware that I should.
The only problem with this, is that this is still legally her property so she can ''come and go'' as she pleases until the house is sold.

Would it make it any easier for me if I just moved out and stayed with my brother maybe?

Sorry, if I am testing your patience.
Original post by Sal90
Hi Amy,

No, I have not because I was not even aware that I should.
The only problem with this, is that this is still legally her property so she can ''come and go'' as she pleases until the house is sold.

Would it make it any easier for me if I just moved out and stayed with my brother maybe?

Sorry, if I am testing your patience.

Hi Sal,

I understand, the council tax bill would not be an option for you then.

If you send us a DM on Twitter or Facebook, we can request a Martial Status Declaration form be sent out to you.

Thanks, Amy
Reply 13
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi Sal,

I understand, the council tax bill would not be an option for you then.

If you send us a DM on Twitter or Facebook, we can request a Martial Status Declaration form be sent out to you.

Thanks, Amy

HI Amy,

Thanks, I think I will have to do that.
Would the fact she is not living at the address and still contributing towards some of the bills, have any bearing on the situation ?
I have a actually thought about staying at my family's house until the property is sold as it's not comfortable staying there - would I have to include that in my application as well ?
Original post by Sal90
HI Amy,

Thanks, I think I will have to do that.
Would the fact she is not living at the address and still contributing towards some of the bills, have any bearing on the situation ?
I have a actually thought about staying at my family's house until the property is sold as it's not comfortable staying there - would I have to include that in my application as well ?

Hi Sal,

If you are not living together we would not use her income in the overall household income figure to assess your application. If you are over 25 you are automatically assessed as an Independent student therefore we use your own household income, we would not take into consideration your parents if you were to move back there.

Thanks, Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending