The Student Room Group

For SQA Higher English

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kubsyy
I have achieved a C in nat 5 english sadly. Again it’s up to school, my english teacher said that if you get a C then you do higher over two years and resit nat 5 english (weird deal but that’s what she said). Higher for two years could also work.

That's a bit weird, I see what you mean. Most teachers in our school would advise taking Higher over 2 years if you got a C, but we would have an option over how many years we wanted to do the course.
Original post by ZZS27
Is n5 course really similar to higher.

The course structure is similar but the content is much, much harder. Again, people who get As in Nat 5 often fail Higher English. Higher English actually has a very, very high fail rate.
One of my close friends got a C in Nat 5 but got a B in higher so it’s not impossible.
Original post by Quick-use
The course structure is similar but the content is much, much harder. Again, people who get As in Nat 5 often fail Higher English. Higher English actually has a very, very high fail rate.

No wonder, because if you choose to stay on to S5, our school forces you to do Higher English (I'd imagine that, that would be the same across most schools in Scotland). Apparently we "need it to get into University", but upon researching my course choice I don't even need Higher English, let alone an A pass at National 5 level, it requests we get a C pass at National 5 level (I got an A in the recent exams).
Original post by Strelzo
No wonder, because if you choose to stay on to S5, our school forces you to do Higher English (I'd imagine that, that would be the same across most schools in Scotland). Apparently we "need it to get into University", but upon researching my course choice I don't even need Higher English, let alone an A pass at National 5 level, it requests we get a C pass at National 5 level (I got an A in the recent exams).

Most schools require students to study English until they leave, be it at Nat 5 or Higher. I agree that it's not essential for various university courses and schools should not be claiming this; but, Higher English does provide students basic literacy skills fundamental to their university studies where they'll inevitably have to write essays, reports or dissertations.
Original post by fucthesqa
One of my close friends got a C in Nat 5 but got a B in higher so it’s not impossible.

Not impossible but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who was failing Nat 5 English only a few months prior and then managed to receive a C in the final exam (where the grade boundaries would have been lower). That said, it's up to the individual and their school to decide.
Most schools require students to study English until they leave, be it at Nat 5 or Higher. I agree that it's not essential for various university courses and schools should not be claiming this; but, Higher English does provide students basic literacy skills fundamental to their university studies where they'll inevitably have to write essays, reports or dissertations.

I see where your coming from. My course in particular, I'd say English is the least important subject for (probably why the grade is set so low). I want to do a BSc Computer Science course, that then leads into a MSc Cyber Security, Privacy and Trust degree, and in coding you don't follow the set rules of the English language, which is why it aggravates me that we are forced to take it :/.
Original post by Strelzo
I see where your coming from. My course in particular, I'd say English is the least important subject for (probably why the grade is set so low). I want to do a BSc Computer Science course, that then leads into a MSc Cyber Security, Privacy and Trust degree, and in coding you don't follow the set rules of the English language, which is why it aggravates me that we are forced to take it :/.

I understand your frustrations and I would have also hated to be forced to do a subject I didn't want to do or find particularly relevant.

Just 1 more year and you'll be free. In a few years when you're writing reports or mammoth dissertations, you'll appreciate having developed some basic literacy skills which your lecturers will expect from you.

Try to think of it as a long term investment... :fluffy:
I understand your frustrations and I would have also hated to be forced to do a subject I didn't want to do or find particularly relevant.

Just 1 more year and you'll be free. In a few years when you're writing reports or mammoth dissertations, you'll appreciate having developed some basic literacy skills which your lecturers will expect from you.

Try to think of it as a long term investment... :fluffy:

Yeah, even this year is a dread with the subjects I like lol. I just really want to go to University; everything seems so great about it and afterwards, my life will be sorted :lol:
Original post by ZZS27
Hi ive sat the N5 exam for English in May however I achieved a C does anyone know if it is still possible to do Higher English even though I got a C at N5 Level.Thanks

I got an A in N5 english with little effort, but english ended up being the subject I practiced the most for in Highers. I do know that there are people in my school who went from a C in N5 to an A in Highers after putting a lot of work in.
Reply 30
thanks hard work is the key
Not impossible but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who was failing Nat 5 English only a few months prior and then managed to receive a C in the final exam (where the grade boundaries would have been lower). That said, it's up to the individual and their school to decide.

I get that yeah but I feel like prelims are generally more difficult , well for English anyway. I got a C in the prelim but got an A in the end this year and it was the subject I revised for least.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by fucthesqa
I get that yeah but I feel like prelims are generally more difficult , well for English anyway. I got a C in the prelim but got an A in the end this year and it was the subject I revised for least.

Prelims are generally more difficult, yes.

Regarding grade improvement, the difference is that you went from a C to an A while the OP went from a fail to a C. The level gap between a C and an A is much, much greater than the gap between a fail and a C. In other words, you may have improved significantly while the OP may have not... The OP will most likely have been working at a fail - C standard throughout both 3rd and 4th years.

There are other factors that play into both of your grade improvements as well, including study habits and the quality of education received.

Taking all of this into account, it's hard for me to encourage a person in OP's situation to take on an even more rigorous course in the form of Higher English. That being said, there may be more context to OP's situation and it is for this reason that I believe it would be best that the OP discusses this matter with their school.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by nat5dawg
Exactly me. I got an A at N5, but just got a D in Higher. It's a MASSIVE step up from N5 -> Higher

Happened to me aswell. A at N5 and just got a D at Higher 😳
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ZZS27
Hi ive sat the N5 exam for English in May however I achieved a C does anyone know if it is still possible to do Higher English even though I got a C at N5 Level.Thanks

It probably depends on the school. I got a very low C at N5, 1 mark off a fail, and I got a B in Higher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending