The Student Room Group

Is prosecutor a solicitor or barrister ?

I would like to work for a crown prosecution service in future but I am not exactly sure if they are either a solicitor or barrister (because then Idk if I should choose LPC or BPTC)
They can be either. Some perform a solicitor's role; some perform a barrister's role. You decide for yourself.
Original post by Good bloke
They can be either. Some perform a solicitor's role; some perform a barrister's role. You decide for yourself.

So do you know what would a prosecution solicitor do or prosecution barrister??
Original post by vickkyyx
So do you know what would a prosecution solicitor do or prosecution barrister??

They hold the equivalent positions to defence solicitors and barristers. Have you looked at the CPS website, where they have role descriptions?
They hold the equivalent positions to defence solicitors and barristers. Have you looked at the CPS website, where they have role descriptions?

Ohhhh I haven’t is there information there ?? Thank youuu
Barristers and solicitors with higher rights of audience can advocate in the Crown Court.

But solicitors without higher rights can still be involved in the CPS process; giving decisions and advice on cases.

NB Solicitors do advocate in the magistrates' but who wants to do that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Being a barrister for the CPS would be more court based. Advocating in court on behalf of the CPS.

Solicitor advocates are becoming more popular, but with the CPS it is likely always barristers who will be delivering arguments in court.
Solicitors for the CPS will mainly work on providing charging advice to the police, reviewing evidence and preparing cases for court alongside the police. However, I imagine leading up to a trial barristers will work closely with the solicitors on solidifying a case.

I think ultimately you need to decide if you want to be advocating in court or more work with other agencies like the police/third parties working on charges and court cases.

I would try and gain some work experience in criminal chambers or solicitors or the CPS itself. See first-hand how each role works in practice and make your decision from there.
Original post by elbw
Being a barrister for the CPS would be more court based. Advocating in court on behalf of the CPS.

Solicitor advocates are becoming more popular, but with the CPS it is likely always barristers who will be delivering arguments in court.
Solicitors for the CPS will mainly work on providing charging advice to the police, reviewing evidence and preparing cases for court alongside the police. However, I imagine leading up to a trial barristers will work closely with the solicitors on solidifying a case.

I think ultimately you need to decide if you want to be advocating in court or more work with other agencies like the police/third parties working on charges and court cases.

I would try and gain some work experience in criminal chambers or solicitors or the CPS itself. See first-hand how each role works in practice and make your decision from there.

So for example barristers would not be working closely with police/third party but solicitors would
Reply 8
So for example barristers would not be working closely with police/third party but solicitors would

They likely do, but not everyday. That is what solicitors are usually for.

Typically, in a law firm, the solicitors will do all the prep work for a case. The barrister will assist along the way by reviewing what has been done so far and offer guidance. The solicitors then take on the feedback, do more work. Once it is ready, the barrister will present it in court. Therefore, there maybe times when a barrister will communicate with a third party say at a conference and at court, but usually the solicitor will handle the main elements of communication.
Original post by elbw
They likely do, but not everyday. That is what solicitors are usually for.

Typically, in a law firm, the solicitors will do all the prep work for a case. The barrister will assist along the way by reviewing what has been done so far and offer guidance. The solicitors then take on the feedback, do more work. Once it is ready, the barrister will present it in court. Therefore, there maybe times when a barrister will communicate with a third party say at a conference and at court, but usually the solicitor will handle the main elements of communication.

Will the prosecution solicitors be able to assist the barrister so like go to the court with him ??

Prosecutors in this country do not have an active role in collecting evidence and the investigation, compared to the US.
Original post by Notoriety
Prosecutors in this country do not have an active role in collecting evidence and the investigation, compared to the US.

So what would the prosecution do
So what would the prosecution do

They present the crown's case, in court, as to why the accused is guilty. They also make decisions as to whether a prosecution will be taken forward.
They present the crown's case, in court, as to why the accused is guilty. They also make decisions as to whether a prosecution will be taken forward.

So it won’t matter if I will choose for example LPC instead of BPTC
Original post by elbw
However, I imagine leading up to a trial barristers will work closely with the solicitors on solidifying a case.

If by that you mean barristers receive papers at the least minute and spent time trying desperately to contact the solicitor because some sort of significant error has been made, then yes.

That's obviously slightly tongue in cheek. In reality it depends on the case. Some will have more involvement from the barrister than others, but in the main barristers have relatively little role in case preparation, particularly at the junior end, which is actually true of most areas of law.
Will the prosecution solicitors be able to assist the barrister so like go to the court with him ??

Not in the Magistrates Court. But in the Crown Court it is far more common for a prosecution barrister to have someone from the CPS sat behind them.

So it won’t matter if I will choose for example LPC instead of BPTC

It does matter, because your choice will determine which role you move towards. Remember that as a barrister you can work in house with the CPS in an employed role, but the majority of criminal barristers are self employed and will do both prosecution and defence work to one degree or another. If you want to work on the case preparation side of things, with some advocacy thrown in (in the Magistrates Court unless and until you get higher rights), then go for the LPC and the solicitor route. If it's presenting cases in court that you want to do, it's the BPTC and the barrister route.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending