The Student Room Group

Making Friends

I am going back to uni for the my second year in September but I've not really made any friends. Advice on how to fit in, be comfortable around new people and make some proper friends?
Original post by Sadie3500
I am going back to uni for the my second year in September but I've not really made any friends. Advice on how to fit in, be comfortable around new people and make some proper friends?

did you give societies a try last year? faking it till you make it can work in some situations
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
did you give societies a try last year? faking it till you make it can work in some situations

My Uni's quite small and if I'm honest the student union there is really bad. Obviously when I first moved out and went to uni I was excited for freshers cause everyone had told me how crazy it would be. My uni had a few local bands performing on campus on the first day and brands trying to sell us stuff. That was literally it. Since then I've heard nothing about the union or societies. I wouldn't even know what societies there are or how to sign up to one.

I was like that in 1st yr as well, i went to so many societies & i was with a group of people who i went clubbing with on a regular, but i didn't fit in with them sober so I wasn't as close with them, but 2nd yr i really became close with my flatmates & I can truly call them my friends.
My Uni's quite small and if I'm honest the student union there is really bad. Obviously when I first moved out and went to uni I was excited for freshers cause everyone had told me how crazy it would be. My uni had a few local bands performing on campus on the first day and brands trying to sell us stuff. That was literally it. Since then I've heard nothing about the union or societies. I wouldn't even know what societies there are or how to sign up to one.

nothing on the student unis website with a societies list?

Don't u guys have a website for ur SU where u can find out societies?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I was like that in 1st yr as well, i went to so many societies & i was with a group of people who i went clubbing with on a regular, but i didn't fit in with them sober so I wasn't as close with them, but 2nd yr i really became close with my flatmates & I can truly call them my friends.

Thats so nice! I didn't get into halls for first year so I had to find a student house last minute and ended ups living with a bunch of people that were a LOT older than me. Like 30+. All really lovely just didn't really help me make any friends lol. This year I'm moving into a house of girls my age that all go to my uni. I don't know any of them yet but fingers crossed I'll make some friends.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
nothing on the student unis website with a societies list?

I'll look into it. Thanks!
Societies and clubs are definitely worth getting into - didn't feel that I got into enough during First Year. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending