The Student Room Group

Taj Lifts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Sae.HH
Saw your GCSE video, good **** man, I hope it reaches some youngsters. I'm starting as an ML engineer next month so if you need any help holla at me. Unless you use Matlab or R... then that's all you fam.

thanks man I appreciate it. I'm actually going to some Matlab expo in October lol so I'm assuming I'm gunna be using that a lot. The project is a bit out of my league in terms of the computer science aspect so the first 3 or so months is dedicated to training. Got lots of Python to learn and a few modules in ML/AI
Original post by TajwarC
thanks man I appreciate it. I'm actually going to some Matlab expo in October lol so I'm assuming I'm gunna be using that a lot. The project is a bit out of my league in terms of the computer science aspect so the first 3 or so months is dedicated to training. Got lots of Python to learn and a few modules in ML/AI

ML isn't much CS tbh, you just need to be good at math if you want to understand the more nuanced algorithms but unless you work for super sophisticated tech companies you don't need to know anything beyond plugging data into preset algorithms. Most of the job is understanding how to transform raw data effectively and feature selection.

Check out 3Blue1Browns series on Neural Networks if you want a basic understanding of the topic effectively, it's a lot of fun! I would recommend everything on that mans channel tbh.

https://youtu.be/aircAruvnKk
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 582
Original post by Sae.HH
ML isn't much CS tbh, you just need to be good at math if you want to understand the more nuanced algorithms but unless you work for super sophisticated tech companies you don't need to know anything beyond plugging data into preset algorithms. Most of the job is understanding how to transform raw data effectively and feature selection.

Check out 3Blue1Browns series on Neural Networks if you want a basic understanding of the topic effectively, it's a lot of fun! I would recommend everything on that mans channel tbh.

https://youtu.be/aircAruvnKk

3Blue1Brown is the guy man I remember telling everyone to watch his video on cryptocurrency before buying Bitcoin back during the craze in late 2017 lool
Reply 583
08/08/2019

Bench:
70kg 1x3
75kg x1
80kg 1x4 (+3 rep PR)

Happy, last rep was ridiculously slow, RPE >10. 90/95 for a single should be doable by late September

DB Press:
up to 27.5kg 1x9 (+2 rep PR)

I'm ready to graduate to 30s but some guy was using them and my boy was using 32.5s so I thought bun it let me try and I flopped lol

09/08/2019

Back Squat:
107.5kg 3x5

Not as dialed in as I was last session. Any who 120kg for AMRAP on Monday

Deadlift on 15cm block:
160kg 1x2
170kg 1x2
180kg 2x2
180kg 1x6

Testing the waters here. Definitely one of those exercises I wished I started doing ages ago. Locked out 180kg for a total of 10 times in one session so over time as I increase load I'll probably stick with 2x5 or something around 10 reps total at 5-7.5% above my 1+ set (basically 10kg above what I do for max reps on that given week). My positioning was actually really good too so I believe this exercise will really help me out because I can pretty much get anything off the floor but above 170ish my lockout becomes very weak
Original post by TajwarC
3Blue1Brown is the guy man I remember telling everyone to watch his video on cryptocurrency before buying Bitcoin back during the craze in late 2017 lool

Agreed his style of teaching is unparalleled, it's free knowledge, zero effort required.
Reply 585
12/08/2019

Back Squat:
100kg 1x2
110kg 1x2
120kg 1x6 (+4 rep PR)

Biggest PR of summer so far. I had only previously done 120kg for a double which was back in early December last year. Estimated 1rm is 142kg. I'm essentially at the end of the 3 week cycle of the programme I'm using so I have the option to max but I don't think I will as I feel like I have more progression in terms of rep maxing plus I want to preserve my CNS for deadlift max. I'll just approximate my 1rm to be 140kg and re-run the cycle again.

OHP:
55kg 1x2

Accessories: cable rows, facepulls, dumbell flies
Reply 586
13/08/2019

Clean:
60kg 1x2
70kg 1x2
75kg 1x2
80kg x1
85kg x1
90kg x1 (+5kg PR)

Wasn't planning on doing cleans today but woke up with the urge to. Interesting PR, haven't trained cleans properly in like 10 months nor have I front squat or cleaned in the past month at all. Made on 3rd attempt.

Bench:
75kg 1x4
75kg 3x3

Low back felt a bit stiff from cleans
Reply 587
15/08/2019

Deadlift:
150kg x1
160kg x1
170kg 1x6 (+1 rep PR)
185kg x1

Probably the most shallow PR I've ever made, it's one of those "I would have made it if I attempted it 4 months ago when I was at my peak strength" kind of PRs. To be fair, I'm not on creatine (at least it hasn't really kicked in yet), probably a bit lighter BW and also PR'd in clean and backsquat in the last 3 days too. 185kg single had infinite floor speed as usual, lockout was slow. 180kg for AMRAP next week, need at least 5 otherwise I'm in serious trouble

OHP:
45kg 1x2
50kg 1x2
55kg 1x3 (PR)

Finally

Accessories: chinups, lat pulldown, biceps
Original post by TajwarC
15/08/2019

Deadlift:
150kg x1
160kg x1
170kg 1x6 (+1 rep PR)
185kg x1

Probably the most shallow PR I've ever made, it's one of those "I would have made it if I attempted it 4 months ago when I was at my peak strength" kind of PRs. To be fair, I'm not on creatine (at least it hasn't really kicked in yet), probably a bit lighter BW and also PR'd in clean and backsquat in the last 3 days too. 185kg single had infinite floor speed as usual, lockout was slow. 180kg for AMRAP next week, need at least 5 otherwise I'm in serious trouble

OHP:
45kg 1x2
50kg 1x2
55kg 1x3 (PR)

Finally

Wow your stats have improved a fair amount over time 👍🏼

What do you do diet wise (any advice, been lifting but struggling to gain mass, fussy veggie diet(ie not meat egg fish)[QUOTE="TajwarC;84771562"]15/08/2019

Deadlift:
150kg x1
160kg x1
170kg 1x6 (+1 rep PR)
185kg x1

OHP:
45kg 1x2
50kg 1x2
55kg 1x3 (PR)

Finally

Accessories: chinups, lat pulldown, biceps[
Original post by TajwarC
15/08/2019

Deadlift:
150kg x1
160kg x1
170kg 1x6 (+1 rep PR)
185kg x1

OHP:
45kg 1x2
50kg 1x2
55kg 1x3 (PR)

Finally

You’re stats have improved a fair amount, keep it up bro 👍🏼

How do you build your bench training solo without a spotter (if that’s how you’ve been training too)?

What do you do diet-wise (veggie?) Any advice don’t eat meat egg fish (+fussy!) and been struggling to gain mass...
Reply 589
Original post by StarGuardian
Wow your stats have improved a fair amount over time 👍🏼

What do you do diet wise (any advice, been lifting but struggling to gain mass, fussy veggie diet(ie not meat egg fish)

Thanks

Bench I do usually have a spotter. If I don't I'll ask one of the members of staff working in the gym because they're usually more clued up and less likely to screw up your set. If you absolutely cannot find a spotter then don't work with weight that you know may be questionable (i.e. 1-3 rep range, work with higher reps and lower weight). As you gain experience you'll know when you absolutely a spot and when you can get away without one. But for now work with higher reps, it's better as you'll get more chance to work on technique/form also.

For someone who's veggie, check out Clarence Kennedy, he's a vegan (who's insanely strong) and has one or two videos on his diet, in his Q&As. My immediate advice would be eat more nuts and possibly take protein shakes (if you're okay with milk)
Original post by TajwarC
Thanks

Bench I do usually have a spotter. If I don't I'll ask one of the members of staff working in the gym because they're usually more clued up and less likely to screw up your set. If you absolutely cannot find a spotter then don't work with weight that you know may be questionable (i.e. 1-3 rep range, work with higher reps and lower weight). As you gain experience you'll know when you absolutely a spot and when you can get away without one. But for now work with higher reps, it's better as you'll get more chance to work on technique/form also.

For someone who's veggie, check out Clarence Kennedy, he's a vegan (who's insanely strong) and has one or two videos on his diet, in his Q&As. My immediate advice would be eat more nuts and possibly take protein shakes (if you're okay with milk)

Hi thanks for the advice.

I’ll definitely check that out.

Yeah I’m fine with dairy so started having 1 protein shake daily but I found that eating nuts just made me gain fat without any muscle...

Thanks again!
Reply 591
17/08/2019

Clean + push press + jerk:
up to 70kg
75kg 1x2 clean only

Back Squat:
97.5kg 3x5 unbroken

Deadlift off blocks:
150kg 1x3 beltless
170kg 1x3
190kg 1x3
210kg 1x2
150kg 5x3 beltless

Accessories: core, pullups
Reply 592
19/08/2019

Back Squat:
105kg 3x5 unbroken

Much easier than I was expecting considering I was struggling with 107kg for a normal 3x5 last week. Creatine is probably beginning to kick in I guess

Deadlift:
only up to 150kg for a beltless double

Low back feeling a bit sore, saving myself for 180kg AMRAP on Thursday

Accessories: Pullups, Lat pulldown, facepulls
Reply 593
20/08/2019

Bench:
70kg 1x3
75kg 1x2
82.5kg 1x2 (probably some kind of PR)
75kg 1x3
70kg 1x5
65kg 1x5

Was hoping for 3-4 at 82.5kg but tbf my bench volume has been very lackluster over the past two weeks. Will reattempt next week

DB press:
25kgs 3x7

OHP:
41kg x3/5/7/4/6/8

Accessories: triceps
Reply 594
22/08/2019

Deadlift:
150kg x1 beltless
160kg x1 beltless
170kg x1 beltless
180kg 1x3
190kg x1

200kg X

Oh dear. PR at 180kg is 4 reps and I only got 3 despite expecting at least 5. 190kg single was actually fine, 200kg failed by about 1 inch from lockout (this is particularly disastrous as this is my current PR from April). Definitely not a good day. Trying not to loathe in my self pity, watching my old PR footage and cry myself to sleep believing I am the shell of my former self... highly doubt 220kg/210kg will happen before I go back to uni which sucks because it means I need to attempt a PR at my uni gym. Either way, I think I'll take 180kg again next week and see what happens

OHP:
up to 56kg 1x3 (PR)
60kg fail

Better than 55kg last week which was surprising
Your only 1 week away from that PR.

Or maybe if you rested 1-2mins extra you might have gotten it :tongue:
Reply 596
Original post by SuperHuman98
Your only 1 week away from that PR.

Or maybe if you rested 1-2mins extra you might have gotten it :tongue:

yeah you're right its only a week, if I make the PR then I'm on track again. The third rep on 180kg was a struggle so I'm assuming I used pretty much all my energy during that set and the single at 190kg, 200kg was probably too much to ask for today, I don't doubt that I can do it on a better day
You don't need to try and hit heavy singles so frequently.

You'd probably have better progress only maxing every 3 to 6 months or so. Don't fixate on 1rm as they don't mean anything unless you want to enter a comp. In which case run a peaking program and max at the comp.

Also, bad days happen. If you wanted 5 reps of 180 and only hit 3, did you really think you were in the best place to try a max?
Reply 598
Original post by illusionz
You don't need to try and hit heavy singles so frequently.

You'd probably have better progress only maxing every 3 to 6 months or so. Don't fixate on 1rm as they don't mean anything unless you want to enter a comp. In which case run a peaking program and max at the comp.

Also, bad days happen. If you wanted 5 reps of 180 and only hit 3, did you really think you were in the best place to try a max?

I mean last time I attempted a 1rm was about 5 months ago and since then I've only done 1 set per week at 80-90% with 3 separate occasions doing singles at 90%, 91.5% and 95% since May. Idk what I was thinking going for 200kg yesterday of all days, I just wanted to see if I could make my old 1rm still but it was a poor decision.

I think I need a lot more volume between 70-80% and go for rep maxes above 80% and heavy singles less frequently, you're right. That being said I'm at home for another 4 weeks (aka unlimited rest and recovery) so I will try to peak before returning to uni, if not in the first 2 or so weeks of term before I get really busy
Reply 599
27/08/2019

Few days off, expected to come back fresh but 32 degrees outside doesn't help. Also played 60 overs of cricket (also in the incredible heat) with 10 overs of batting the day before. Enough with the excuses though:

Back Squat:
up to 113kg 1x2
93kg 3x3 paused beltless

Tried using my new lever belt, concluded that I will never be using it for squats again, or at least until its properly broken in. It was incredibly uncomfortable at the bottom position and actually made it more difficult to get out of the hole

Deadlift:
up to 170kg x1 beltless
120kg 3x3+1 (3 paused, 1 normal) beltless

Bought my stance in by quite a bit, so now my hands are closer to my feet. Lockout feels a lot stronger as I'm in a far better position midway through the lift. I don't feel as tight at the bottom but this can be fixed with more mobility work and playing around with stance/grip width a little.

Quick Reply

Latest