The Student Room Group

BEng chemical or Petroleum?

Which is better in terms of a job? I plan on doing an MSc depending on which one I choose -- perhaps a PhD even.
Original post by M.Z.M.K
Which is better in terms of a job? I plan on doing an MSc depending on which one I choose -- perhaps a PhD even.

petroleum pays more... according to online stuff... but you would get more jobs for it in the middle east maybe? So chem eng is better
Original post by M.Z.M.K

A chemical engineering degree is broader and will allow you to work in many different industries. You can, if you want to, have the grades and funding, do an MSc in petroleum engineering from just about any engineering, maths or physics background.
Original post by M.Z.M.K

I am starting a MSc soon and I had to decide whether I wanted to head into the Petroleum sector or the Mining sector. Essentially I have figured job security and industry stability cause me to veer strongly towards mining.

Although Petroleum pays higher extremes, the industry is on a downturn. Most importantly job security is low, you'll get a job and be ousted after 10 years during a market crash (a pattern of oil and gas companies). Problem is you'll be unemployable to anyone else but the Petroleum industry, who doesn't want you - I don't foresee this being the case for engineering. Consider too, over your 50-odd year career; with all the environmental waffle and the clean energy and sustainability stuff that's kicking into gear nowadays, the petroleum industry has a limited lifetime anyway.

I would recommend Chemical Engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending