The Student Room Group

Getting Started job in Accountancy

I have currently graduated in Business Economics with 2.1, and I would like to start my career in Accountancy in order, later on, obtain ACA qualification. Although I have applied to all top 100 accounting firms for graduating scheme on February/March for September 2019, I have not received any replies from them. In addition to that, I am just simply applying to all possible accounting assistant roles but it seems that they requiring some experience. Unfortunately, I do not have any relevant experience, in fact, I do not have any experience at all as I came to the UK international student from Russia and as I said just graduated from the Uni. So can someone advise me where or what role I need to apply so companies would accept me? I am happy to start in the lowest position in accountancy as long as a company helping me to achieve ACA later on and location should be in London.
Original post by zakmurzaev
I have currently graduated in Business Economics with 2.1, and I would like to start my career in Accountancy in order, later on, obtain ACA qualification. Although I have applied to all top 100 accounting firms for graduating scheme on February/March for September 2019, I have not received any replies from them. In addition to that, I am just simply applying to all possible accounting assistant roles but it seems that they requiring some experience. Unfortunately, I do not have any relevant experience, in fact, I do not have any experience at all as I came to the UK international student from Russia and as I said just graduated from the Uni. So can someone advise me where or what role I need to apply so companies would accept me? I am happy to start in the lowest position in accountancy as long as a company helping me to achieve ACA later on and location should be in London.

Have you registered with ICAEW Careers?

Also many people underestimate job websites such as Reed or Indeed. It's possible to find vacancies at decent companies using those.
Reply 2
Original post by meyerlansky451
Have you registered with ICAEW Careers?

Also many people underestimate job websites such as Reed or Indeed. It's possible to find vacancies at decent companies using those.

Yes, I did and to be honest I am applying through all possible websites but from the start I would like to know if I do not have working experience at all in accountancy what accounting job position should I search for when I am using job research engines ?
Yes, I did and to be honest I am applying through all possible websites but from the start I would like to know if I do not have working experience at all in accountancy what accounting job position should I search for when I am using job research engines ?

If you're a student with no accounting experience who wants to pursue ACA then I think the only option is to apply for graduate schemes at public accounting companies such as "The Big Four"

May I ask if ACA is the only qualification that interests you? Have you considered doing ACCA?
Reply 4
Original post by meyerlansky451
If you're a student with no accounting experience who wants to pursue ACA then I think the only option is to apply for graduate schemes at public accounting companies such as "The Big Four"

May I ask if ACA is the only qualification that interests you? Have you considered doing ACCA?

I see, what if I have got rejected by big four?
Yes, I have considered ACCA and CIMA but for my future prospects ACA qualification is the one.
Yes, I have considered ACCA and CIMA but for my future prospects ACA qualification is the one.

you mentioned you applied to top 100 firms. maybe try top 200? :biggrin:

you can also do ACCA and then "convert" to ACA later I believe
Reply 6

What are your future aspirations? Its important to know before giving advice, and making sure that your understanding of career routes is reliable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending