The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Cybersecurity BSc (Hons) at Aston

Hello,

Just wondering how many are considering this course?

I have received a conditional offer for Cybersecurity and for Business computing & IT.

At the moment i haven't decided which one to go for.
BCIT i have some work experience already
Cybersecurity would be new.

I always had an interested in IT and computers but not sure how hard would it be to learn Cybersecurity from scratch? I have graduated sixth form in my home country 5 years ago so all maths and basic programming I did is long forgotten.

What are your thoughts, guys?

Scroll to see replies

I have an uncon for Cyber-Security
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
bump
im not too sure about this, but I heard cyber security can be learnt online without going to university
Im gonna study cyber security at aston, there are better options such as apprenticeships which i know of, however lowkey wanna exp uni life
Reply 5
Original post by Shochip.ahmed
Im gonna study cyber security at aston, there are better options such as apprenticeships which i know of, however lowkey wanna exp uni life

Me too. Decided to go for cybersecurity :smile:
I'll see you there 😊, are you committing or living there??
Original post by Daina5
Me too. Decided to go for cybersecurity :smile:

I'm a final year Computer Sci student at Aston, if you have any questions, give me a shout :smile:
Reply 8

I'll be traveling, but I live in Birmingham so it won't be far. See you there :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Moonschool
I'm a final year Computer Sci student at Aston, if you have any questions, give me a shout :smile:

Great, thank you ☺️ I'll definitely think of a few questions
Anyone studying cybersecurity at uclan?

how did you find the transition from first to second to final year?
would the course be too hard for someone who has no programming experience?
do you have to work 24/7 to keep up with content?

thanks
Original post by Anonymous
how did you find the transition from first to second to final year?
would the course be too hard for someone who has no programming experience?
do you have to work 24/7 to keep up with content?

thanks

1) It was alright. Second year is meant to be the hardest but there is more work in final year, from what I've been told.
2) The course is designed for students with no programming experience, so you should be fine.
3) Nope. The university expect you to have a social life too :smile:
thank you!
did you have any experience with programming before, if so how much?
what tips do you have for getting high marks?
do you know people that came in with no experience that ended up doing very well?
are you expected to crazy good (in programming) once you're in second year? (the modules look very intense in second year)

sorry for so many questions, just very anxious :smile:
1) It was alright. Second year is meant to be the hardest but there is more work in final year, from what I've been told.
2) The course is designed for students with no programming experience, so you should be fine.
3) Nope. The university expect you to have a social life too :smile:

computer science at aston seems very exam based. are the exams okay?
Original post by uptowngirl_
computer science at aston seems very exam based. are the exams okay?

Hey,

Each module usually comes with previous past papers, so as long as you're able to complete them, you'll be fine!
Original post by Anonymous
thank you!
did you have any experience with programming before, if so how much?
what tips do you have for getting high marks?
do you know people that came in with no experience that ended up doing very well?
are you expected to crazy good (in programming) once you're in second year? (the modules look very intense in second year)

sorry for so many questions, just very anxious :smile:

Don't worry about the questions! Keep them coming! :smile:

I had no experience with programming and the university is not expecting you to have knowledge. If you do, then great! But you won't be at a disadvantage.
Turn up to all the lectures and labs, don't be afraid to ask questions (any question is better than no question), do the past exam papers, book appointments with your personal tutor/lecturer if you aren't clear on something.
None of my friends had past experience of programming, and all ended up getting placements.
You're not expected to be crazy good at programming. Only to know the topics from first year. It's a harder than first year (because first year grades don't count) but it's nothing you can't handle!

Also, feel free to join the Aston Computer Science group on Facebook -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/AstonCSS/ -- people will happily answer questions on there :smile:
How much maths is Involved? I’m saying this because maths isn’t my strongest subject :smile:
Reply 18

Im in my last year of secondary and really interested in taking cybersecurity as a career. Did you take A-level CS or Btec?
Original post by RisakH
Im in my last year of secondary and really interested in taking cybersecurity as a career. Did you take A-level CS or Btec?

BTEC

Quick Reply

Latest