The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Should I apply?

Hi everyone! I realise no one can give a definitive answer, but there's no harm in asking

I went to a high-achieving grammar school and achieved 5 A* at GCSE. I plan on applying to study English, which I achieved 100% in at GCSE; I am also taking 4 of those subjects with predictions of A*A*AA. Therefore, my question is, "Will my low grades (4s-6s) in subjects irrelevant to my degree (Maths, Art, Sciences) ruin my chances?". Any guidance at all would be most appreciated, thanks in advance!
Hi @srw27,
If this is specifically for Lancaster, could I ask which specific English courses you're interested in?
Usually meeting the entry requirements for a course is all you'll need to secure an offer so if the particular course you're interested in has no requirements for those subjects, they're unlikely to have any affect on you getting an offer. I'm sure you fantastic predictions in the required subjects will be more than enough!
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @srw27,
If this is specifically for Lancaster, could I ask which specific English courses you're interested in?
Usually meeting the entry requirements for a course is all you'll need to secure an offer so if the particular course you're interested in has no requirements for those subjects, they're unlikely to have any affect on you getting an offer. I'm sure you fantastic predictions in the required subjects will be more than enough!
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Hi, thanks for your reply :smile:
I'm specifically interested in English Literature with Creative Writing (75/25 joint honours), I believe the entry requirements are AAB but I was wondering if this was too ambitious even as an insurance choice bearing in mind my other choices are Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews and York.
Most universities only look for passes in Maths and English if those subjects aren’t relevant to your course. In your case, if you’ve passed maths then you shouldn’t have a problem.
Reply 4
Original post by riekeleah
Most universities only look for passes in Maths and English if those subjects aren’t relevant to your course. In your case, if you’ve passed maths then you shouldn’t have a problem.

Okay, thanks for your help - that is reassuring to hear :smile:
Original post by srw27

it's plausible you will get rejected from 4/5 of your choices (more likely only 3/5 tbh), but even if it's 5/5 you've got UCAS Extra and then Clearing so you'll have plenty of chances
Original post by srw27

@srw27,
As the other poster said, a pass in maths in English and maths is the only subject other than the full entry requirements that might be considered: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/english-literature-with-creative-writing-ba-hons-q3w8/#course-entry which includes the written piece as well. If you were predicted AAB you would most likely get an offer. I'm not sure about the other universities requirements and they could be very different but there's no hidden requirements other than what is on the page. If in any doubt you can contact admissions (which is linked on that page).
Let me know if you have any more questions,
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
@srw27,
As the other poster said, a pass in maths in English and maths is the only subject other than the full entry requirements that might be considered: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/english-literature-with-creative-writing-ba-hons-q3w8/#course-entry which includes the written piece as well. If you were predicted AAB you would most likely get an offer. I'm not sure about the other universities requirements and they could be very different but there's no hidden requirements other than what is on the page. If in any doubt you can contact admissions (which is linked on that page).
Let me know if you have any more questions,

Okay, thank you so much for your help! Now just to finish redrafting a poem haha
Would it be worth contacting admissions with everything already mentioned here just to see? Of course I realise they can't give me a yes or no answer, but might they be able to indicate the likelihood of me receiving an offer?
Thank you so so much for all your help! :smile:
Original post by srw27
Okay, thank you so much for your help! Now just to finish redrafting a poem haha
Would it be worth contacting admissions with everything already mentioned here just to see? Of course I realise they can't give me a yes or no answer, but might they be able to indicate the likelihood of me receiving an offer?
Thank you so so much for all your help! :smile:

You can if it would make you feel better but I think you should be pretty confident that you'll get an offer if your predicted grades meet the entry requirements,

Quick Reply

Latest