The Student Room Group

Please help! I have really big moobs...

I’m a 20 year old guy and I’ve had a large chest since I was around 15/16. Unfortunately, it hasn’t gone away and now I’m left with really large that I’m struggling to get rid of. I’m considering surgery as I’m starting uni in September and want to be able to enjoy my time there without the constant stress/embarrassment of my chest area. In all honesty, they look terrible. I’m not overweight so they’re completely disproportionate to the rest of my body. Please can someone help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Attachment not found

Attachment not found
Reply 2
Can someone please help😔
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Can someone please help😔

Have you seen your GP about it?
Reply 4
Original post by Fujoshi
Have you seen your GP about it?

Yes, they said to come back if it hasn’t got better in a year's time, but I can’t wait that long. Would you say that they are very noticeable/a big turn off when dating girls?
I’m a 20 year old guy and I’ve had a large chest since I was around 15/16. Unfortunately, it hasn’t gone away and now I’m left with really large that I’m struggling to get rid of. I’m considering surgery as I’m starting uni in September and want to be able to enjoy my time there without the constant stress/embarrassment of my chest area. In all honesty, they look terrible. I’m not overweight so they’re completely disproportionate to the rest of my body. Please can someone help?

looks/sounds like it could be gyno. Common in people who've sustained testicular damage, dabbled with with hormones/steroids, are low-T/high-estrogen.

Have you tried working out? Forgive me for saying but (melons aside) you look rather doughy and un-conditioned. Going on a body recomp (shredding fat, building muscle) would allow you to effectively rule out gyno. If you still have a pair of juicy jubblies after getting in shape, you have gyno and surgery is your only option, else you're ****ed. There's a chance you don't have gyno and your ample cleavage is the result of simply being lardy in the chest area. 30 minute sessions of intense metabolic resistance training 3-7 times a week (depending on how desperate you are) combined with fasting and increased protein ought to bazooka those bazongas if the latter is the case. I knew someone from rugby who was also well endowed and it turned out he was just needed to shred down and lay off the Ginsters and Guinness

There are two approaches to this: making a physical change, or a mental change:

The rest of your body might not be overweight, but that might be where you store the weight. Much of what determines a woman’s body shape (e.g. thighs vs boobs) is where fat is deposited. Don’t go on a diet if you’re healthy, but perhaps try and alter your exercise to focus on that area.

The alternative is to go extreme and turn them into pecks and make the rest of you match!

After being self conscious for most of my teenage years, going to uni and mingling with far more people taught me that even those we see as perfect hate certain things about themselves. You will always pick out your own flaws far more easily than anyone else. Once you learn this, you realise you’re no more flawed than anyone else and start to forget about them. Perhaps you can teach yourself which parts of you others envy rather than thinking about those you don’t like.
Reply 7
Original post by PhilanderingBum
looks/sounds like it could be gyno. Common in people who've sustained testicular damage, dabbled with with hormones/steroids, are low-T/high-estrogen.

Have you tried working out? Forgive me for saying but (melons aside) you look rather doughy and un-conditioned. Going on a body recomp (shredding fat, building muscle) would allow you to effectively rule out gyno. If you still have a pair of juicy jubblies after getting in shape, you have gyno and surgery is your only option, else you're ****ed. There's a chance you don't have gyno and your ample cleavage is the result of simply being lardy in the chest area. 30 minute sessions of intense metabolic resistance training 3-7 times a week (depending on how desperate you are) combined with fasting and increased protein ought to bazooka those bazongas if the latter is the case. I knew someone from rugby who was also well endowed and it turned out he was just needed to shred down and lay off the Ginsters and Guinness

I generally eat very healthily but I don’t do much strength training (I run five times a week). Even if I do have gynecomastia, would my chest area look more defined if I worked out more? What kind of exercises do you recommend? Thanks for your reply
Reply 8
Original post by carrotstar
There are two approaches to this: making a physical change, or a mental change:

The rest of your body might not be overweight, but that might be where you store the weight. Much of what determines a woman’s body shape (e.g. thighs vs boobs) is where fat is deposited. Don’t go on a diet if you’re healthy, but perhaps try and alter your exercise to focus on that area.

The alternative is to go extreme and turn them into pecks and make the rest of you match!

After being self conscious for most of my teenage years, going to uni and mingling with far more people taught me that even those we see as perfect hate certain things about themselves. You will always pick out your own flaws far more easily than anyone else. Once you learn this, you realise you’re no more flawed than anyone else and start to forget about them. Perhaps you can teach yourself which parts of you others envy rather than thinking about those you don’t like.

Thank you for your kind response. I just worry that they’re extremely noticeable on the beach, by the pool etc and it gets to me a lot because I really do like swimming. I think i first need to join a gym, but I’m not too sure where to start
Reply 9

Overall though would you say it’s very noticeable?
Do you think I could get this surgery before I start university (in 7 weeks). How would my GP check for hormonal imbalances? I have the money to have surgery so I’m more than willing to go through with it
Do you think it’s very noticeable? I’d really like to have it before I start university in September but I doubt there is enough time now
You have gynecomastia.

Th way is a combination of push-ups so you spread the fat apart and cardio (running).
You need calorie control as well.

Surgery is also vital, they will cut out a section inside the pectoral which is responsible for the moob.
I generally eat very healthily but I don’t do much strength training (I run five times a week). Even if I do have gynecomastia, would my chest area look more defined if I worked out more? What kind of exercises do you recommend? Thanks for your reply

No worries. Neither running nor strength training is optimal for losing fat on its own. Also, there's no such thing as spot fat reduction. Training your chest will firm the area but won't magically make the fat dissapear

When I say 'metabolic resistance training', all I mean is training your muscles in a way that makes you out of breath and in doing so, burn fat and builds muscle at the same time

The best individual home exercises in my opinion include:

Burpees
Kettlebell swings (literally my favourite exercise of all time)
Mountain climbers
Skater jumps

As you have probably realised, these are all exercises that train your muscles AND make you out of breath. They burn crazy calories, especially when combined in a circuit. You can find more online.

The best training methods are

Circuit training
AMRAP (as many reps as you can)
Tabata (20 sec effort, 10 sec rest,)
Cardio boxing/Le Mills Bodycombat and other similar fitness classes (can be found online in video form)

An ultra simple workout I use myself is to do a 3 exercise circuit, performing as many rounds as I can in 30 minutes. Each round is 30 seconds with 5 seconds of rest in between:

30 sec: pressups
5 sec: rest
30 sec: crunches
30 sec: jump squats
REPEAT

You can modify it to a tabata format if this is too intense. I like to use variations for each exercise. On it's own, this isn't very balanced. It ignores the posterior chain and lats which could lead to postural problems. I realise fat burning is your priority but you should take care not injure yourself or mess up you muscle balance. Tits will be the least of your concerns. I suggest you do this:

15 minutes of the above circuit, 20 on, 10 off (replace jump squats with kettlebell goblin squats if you wish)
5 minutes of kettlebell swings
5 minutes of bent over kettlebell rows (2.5 min per arm) to balance out pec and shoulder development

I covered all 5 basic muscle groups in 25 minutes and designed the workout to be simple, doable at home and require as little equipment as possible (1 kettlebell, highly recommend you invest in one). You could spend an extra 5-10 minutes doing other things i.e. training you biceps, calves, more reps, jump rope etc. Just don't workout for longer than 35 minutes as you'll burn yourself out and risk elevating your cortisol which would lower your testosterone and further aggravate your affliction. Don't forget to warm up first and stretch afterwards.

I'm spitballing but I guaruntee you you'll get results from this. If you still have moobs, at least you'll be super fit :smile:. This is just to start you off, I suggest you read around online and consider doing follow along routines on Youtube
Can someone please help😔

Yes, they said to come back if it hasn’t got better in a year's time, but I can’t wait that long. Would you say that they are very noticeable/a big turn off when dating girls?

see a doctor please, TSR cannot make diagnoses for you. That is a dangerous choice, you can get surgery for this, I am sure so dont worry
Original post by yousman3357
You have gynecomastia.

Th way is a combination of push-ups so you spread the fat apart and cardio (running).
You need calorie control as well.

Surgery is also vital, they will cut out a section inside the pectoral which is responsible for the moob.

I have arranged for a consultation with a private clinic. Tbh I have already lost a lot of weight since the start of this year and there have been no changes in my chest area at all
No worries. Neither running nor strength training is optimal for losing fat on its own. Also, there's no such thing as spot fat reduction. Training your chest will firm the area but won't magically make the fat dissapear

When I say 'metabolic resistance training', all I mean is training your muscles in a way that makes you out of breath and in doing so, burn fat and builds muscle at the same time

The best individual home exercises in my opinion include:

Burpees
Kettlebell swings (literally my favourite exercise of all time)
Mountain climbers
Skater jumps

As you have probably realised, these are all exercises that train your muscles AND make you out of breath. They burn crazy calories, especially when combined in a circuit. You can find more online.

The best training methods are

Circuit training
AMRAP (as many reps as you can)
Tabata (20 sec effort, 10 sec rest,)
Cardio boxing/Le Mills Bodycombat and other similar fitness classes (can be found online in video form)

An ultra simple workout I use myself is to do a 3 exercise circuit, performing as many rounds as I can in 30 minutes. Each round is 30 seconds with 5 seconds of rest in between:

30 sec: pressups
30 sec: crunches
30 sec: jump squats
REPEAT

You can modify it to a tabata format if this is too intense. I like to use variations for each exercise. On it's own, this isn't very balanced. It ignores the posterior chain and lats which could lead to postural problems. I realise fat burning is your priority but you should take care not injure yourself or mess up you muscle balance. Tits will be the least of your concerns. I suggest you do this:

15 minutes of the above circuit, 20 on, 10 off (replace jump squats with kettlebell goblin squats if you wish)
5 minutes of kettlebell swings
5 minutes of bent over kettlebell rows (2.5 min per arm) to balance out pec and shoulder development

I covered all 5 basic muscle groups in 25 minutes and designed the workout to be simple, doable at home and require as little equipment as possible (1 kettlebell, highly recommend you invest in one). You could spend an extra 5-10 minutes doing other things i.e. training you biceps, calves, more reps, jump rope etc. Just don't workout for longer than 35 minutes as you'll burn yourself out and risk elevating your cortisol which would lower your testosterone and further aggravate your affliction. Don't forget to warm up first and stretch afterwards.

I'm spitballing but I guaruntee you you'll get results from this. If you still have moobs, at least you'll be super fit :smile:. This is just to start you off, I suggest you read around online and consider doing follow along routines on Youtube

And yeah, it goes without saying but you have true gyno, no amount of fatloss will rectify it as you will literally have a pair of breasts as opposed to fat deposits. It may reduce the size of surrounding fat deposits but you'll still have 'lumps'
And yeah, it goes without saying but you have true gyno, no amount of fatloss will rectify it as you will literally have a pair of breasts as opposed to fat deposits. It may reduce the size of surrounding fat deposits but you'll still have 'lumps'

I’m going to get a consultation at a private clinic to see what my options are, but I’ll certainly take up your suggested routine to get fitter. I’ve already got a couple of kettlebells that I used earlier in the year but since I saw no change in my chest I became demotivated. I’m beginning to think that surgery may be my only option
I would certainly run it all past your GP first, before you do anything drastic; especially if you're going to be handing over potentially thousands of pounds.
I’m going to get a consultation at a private clinic to see what my options are, but I’ll certainly take up your suggested routine to get fitter. I’ve already got a couple of kettlebells that I used earlier in the year but since I saw no change in my chest I became demotivated. I’m beginning to think that surgery may be my only option

Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm only offering advice, but judging from the photos you seem quite unfit. I wouldn't recommend doing anything drastic such as surgery yet as there is a possibility that it is just fat, which you can easily lose with some determination. Definitely see a doctor an ask about it, but I'd say your priority is to maintain a calorie deficit until you lose all the excess fat. Just make sure you're burning more calories than you're consuming, and you'll lose it quickly. I recommend running as it's one of the best ways to burn calories, and it will generally make you more fit. 2-3 chest work outs a week as well would also help to shape your chest.

Latest