The Student Room Group

Clearing - not enough UCAS points?

I've gone through clearing at John Moores University to apply for a course which I've been told requires 96 UCAS points. I've just completed an access to higher education course at a different uni, however it is apparently only worth 30 points. I also have a level 3 diploma in business administration, but the awarding body for this is not recognised by UCAS tariff. Will the university still consider me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bmm98
I've gone through clearing at John Moores University to apply for a course which I've been told requires 96 UCAS points. I've just completed an access to higher education course at a different uni, however it is apparently only worth 30 points. I also have a level 3 diploma in business administration, but the awarding body for this is not recognised by UCAS tariff. Will the university still consider me?

Did you call up and get a verbal offer?
I would suggest you contact them to see - they might be accept it.
Original post by bmm98

Did you do an Access to HE Diploma? I'm not aware of any other access to higher education courses but the Access to HE Diploma is worth more than 30 points, even with just a pass on all 45 credits.
Original post by bmm98

Are you sure it is an access to he diploma? How did you get 30 points? I believe that to be incorrect.
What are the exact names of the qualifications and preferably the grades.
Is the level 3 diploma a city and guilds nvq? Who are the awarding body?
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Did you call up and get a verbal offer?

I called up and was told either someone from the department of my chosen course or the admin team will be back in touch. I only applied yesterday afternoon so I'm aware I won't hear anything just yet.
Original post by bmm98
I called up and was told either someone from the department of my chosen course or the admin team will be back in touch. I only applied yesterday afternoon so I'm aware I won't hear anything just yet.

You shouldn't have applied without having spoken to someone on the phone from the right team I m afraid . Call them first thing on Monday
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
You shouldn't have applied without having spoken to someone on the phone from the right team I m afraid . Call them first thing on Monday

The first thing I did was looked at the course online, which advised me to call the clearing line. I called and told them I haven't applied before so the person on the line said the application is done through them over the phone and took my details such as qualifications and asked whether I'd need accomodation etc if I'm successful. Then said someone from the dept of the course will be in touch. So I'm assuming that's correct?
Original post by bmm98
The first thing I did was looked at the course online, which advised me to call the clearing line. I called and told them I haven't applied before so the person on the line said the application is done through them over the phone and took my details such as qualifications and asked whether I'd need accomodation etc if I'm successful. Then said someone from the dept of the course will be in touch. So I'm assuming that's correct?

I think you should perhaps have waited for the person from the department to ring you but call them on Monday.
Original post by bmm98

What grades did you get in your Access to HE course?
Reply 10
Original post by ElNiñoo
What grades did you get in your Access to HE course?

They haven't gave me any grades, they emailed me to say that I've passed the course and will be getting my certificate in about 2 weeks.
Original post by bmm98
They haven't gave me any grades, they emailed me to say that I've passed the course and will be getting my certificate in about 2 weeks.

Ahh okay, I received mine nearly 3 weeks ago. What awarding body is it do you know? did the tutors give you any of your overall grades for the units?
If you want to ignore my post when Im trying to help, that is fine but more fool you.

If you have done a QAA verified Access course you should know most of your marks in terms of credits, distinctions and passes. Without knowing grades it is hard to see what you have got and where you can apply.
Reply 13
Original post by ElNiñoo
Ahh okay, I received mine nearly 3 weeks ago. What awarding body is it do you know? did the tutors give you any of your overall grades for the units?

I'm not sure who the awarding body is for mine, where did you do your course? and who is the awarding body for that?

I know for my two module assessments I got a Pass for each (you were graded either pass, merit or distinction).
Original post by bmm98
I'm not sure who the awarding body is for mine, where did you do your course? and who is the awarding body for that?

I know for my two module assessments I got a Pass for each (you were graded either pass, merit or distinction).

I completed mine in Liverpool and my awarding body was Openawards.

So you never received the grades your tutors gave you for all 15 of your graded units? We had an app (moodle) which our teachers put our overall grades for the units
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
If you want to ignore my post when Im trying to help, that is fine but more fool you.

If you have done a QAA verified Access course you should know most of your marks in terms of credits, distinctions and passes. Without knowing grades it is hard to see what you have got and where you can apply.

I did actually quote you and someone else in a reply but it looks like it's been deleted or didn't post, apologies but I wasn't ignoring you.

I don't yet know who the awarding body is so I'm probably going to have to wait until I receive my certificate. Thanks for the info.
Reply 16
Original post by ElNiñoo
I completed mine in Liverpool and my awarding body was Openawards.

So you never received the grades your tutors gave you for all 15 of your graded units? We had an app (moodle) which our teachers put our overall grades for the units

Ah I see. Ours was separated into two modules - subject and Developing Academic Study Skills. For DASS it was just the case of giving the work straight to your tutor and they would give you a cover sheet back for each unit stating that you'd passed (pretty sure this was either pass or fail). I think we did about 18 of these.

For subject we had two assessments, which both had to be uploaded on to turnitin via the uni's app. It's there where I know I've got the two pass grades.
Original post by bmm98
I did actually quote you and someone else in a reply but it looks like it's been deleted or didn't post, apologies but I wasn't ignoring you.

I don't yet know who the awarding body is so I'm probably going to have to wait until I receive my certificate. Thanks for the info.

It all sounds very unusual. By now people will know the grades they got for each module even if provisional. You should have been getting then through the year. How do you know it is only worth 30 ucas points? Sounds wrong to me.
Original post by bmm98
Ah I see. Ours was separated into two modules - subject and Developing Academic Study Skills. For DASS it was just the case of giving the work straight to your tutor and they would give you a cover sheet back for each unit stating that you'd passed (pretty sure this was either pass or fail). I think we did about 18 of these.

For subject we had two assessments, which both had to be uploaded on to turnitin via the uni's app. It's there where I know I've got the two pass grades.

What Access course did you study?
Reply 19
Original post by 999tigger
It all sounds very unusual. By now people will know the grades they got for each module even if provisional. You should have been getting then through the year. How do you know it is only worth 30 ucas points? Sounds wrong to me.

It does to me too now that I've really thought about it all. For my two main module assessments I got a Pass in each (you could get pass, merit or distinction). I got these grades before I finished the course.

It was one of the heads of the access department who actually said to me I wouldn't be allowed to change uni's after finishing the course because this course in particular is only worth around 30 points. I then had a tutor from the degree I'm supposed to be doing at this uni (Edge Hill is that helps) that I can change uni's, even in my first week of study?? I think there must be some miscommunication between the departments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending