The Student Room Group

Isn't it fascinating how minute the chances are that you have come to exist?

The chance that life exists at all is incredibly minute, yet it has happened.

Life is a chance, so if you ever feel 'unlucky', just realise that this minute chance of life ever existing has given you the ability to conjure up such an absurd word.

The chances you exist as you, you could have been taller or shorter, taken the dominant cleft chin gene from your father or taken the regular recessive chin gene from your mother, it is all hilariously astounding.
Agreed! :biggrin:
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
The chance that life exists at all is incredibly minute, yet it has happened.

Life is a chance, so if you ever feel 'unlucky', just realise that this minute chance of life ever existing has given you the ability to conjure up such an absurd word.

The chances you exist as you, you could have been taller or shorter, taken the dominant cleft chin gene from your father or taken the regular recessive chin gene from your mother, it is all hilariously astounding.

oh
Reply 3
Absolutely. I sometimes don’t feel happy with life, but when I look at the odds I do feel incredibly lucky.
Lol, me not existing would be the best state of affairs, haha. Lots of things are unlikely, don't know why I should feel inherently grateful or lucky about that fact.
Original post by Obolinda
Lol, me not existing would be the best state of affairs, haha. Lots of things are unlikely, don't know why I should feel inherently grateful or lucky about that fact.

You don't think there is anything good about your life?
You don't think there is anything good about your life?

I think there are lots of AMAZING things about my life and I'm grateful for them. I personally just don't feel lucky to have come into existence and feel it would have been better never to have been born. I think existence is a weird and fascinating thing, but there are equally many negative improbable events.
(edited 4 years ago)
We're all winners! :h:
Original post by Obolinda
I think there are lots of AMAZING things about my life and I'm grateful for them. I personally just don't feel lucky to have come into existence and feel it would have been better never to have been born. I think existence is a weird and fascinating thing, but there are equally many negative improbable events.

Well of course, life is basically a blackjack dealer.

And you definetly can't cheat, you can just learn to deal with what you're dealt and move on.
Well of course, life is basically a blackjack dealer.

And you definetly can't cheat, you can just learn to deal with what you're dealt and move on.

I don't really understand what you've said. But yes, I usually just get on with it. Only talking about it because you initiated the conversation :h:
Not really, it's quite annoying
Reply 11
We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones
Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born
The potential people who could have been here in my place
But who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara
Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton
We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA
So massively exceeds the set of actual people
In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here
We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds
How dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state
From which the vast majority have never stirred?

(Richard Dawkins)
Original post by math42
But who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Sahara
Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton
In the teeth of those stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here

(Richard Dawkins)

What a great read.
Original post by math42

(Richard Dawkins)

Beautiful
I think, therefore I am.
-Descartes
Original post by Eat Me Out
Probably the only time when I came in first place by beating all those other sperms to the finish line. I have never won anything since then, and probably never will.:nooo:

Actually, since all the sperm cells try to get into the egg, and only one gets in, it means that one sperm cashed in on all his friends work.

That one sperm cell is you.
It's pretty frikkin' incredible gotta admit
Original post by math42

(Richard Dawkins)

Always a great read.
Reply 18
I really don't care about stuff like this. The odds are long, meh, so what? I'd not know any different
It's not at all fascinating. The universe has a limited number of permutations, so I'm guaranteed one of them. This one is no less likely than any other.

It's like if you have a box of marbles and shake them up. The chances of the resulting configuration happening are astoundingly small, yet it isn't anything special because some permutation was guaranteed in the first place.

To see it in any other way requires a focus around human life at the centre. From a human's point of view, they have a very small chance of existing. From the universe's point of view, that human is nothing special- merely one of an astronomical number of possibilities, one of which had to occur.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending