The Student Room Group

Losing my religion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by batter mix

I thought this thread was gonna be about R.E.M. but how wrong I was :rofl:

I know the Mandolin solo for this song, so not completely off topic XD
Original post by HierophantMasque
Then you could always start your own sect? A bit ambitious sure, but your beliefs are your beliefs. If you feel you should worship your god in a specific way and follow specific rules and not follow others then do it. New Christian denominations pop up all the time with varying popularity, but popularity doesn't matter, just what you believe. If this is too ambitious, and your religion means so much to you, you will need to make a choice. It doesn't have to be soon or even in the next few years, but this is your life. What means more to you should be what your life revolves around. If it's the Muslim god then keep to your religion or find a way to worship in which you are happy. If it's your personal expression, freedom and abandoning the rules, then leave your religion or find perhaps a variant of deism where you believe in a God, not his rules.

I have always wondered about the possibility of starting my own sect but it would have been a big haram as i make everything haram halal but i just want to be free to worship whom i want how i want the real islam says worship whom ever you want but people make it seems forced and make us live and act as they want this what o object to the fact you force your children on a certain way of life
Original post by Anonymous
I have always wondered about the possibility of starting my own sect but it would have been a big haram as i make everything haram halal but i just want to be free to worship whom i want how i want the real islam says worship whom ever you want but people make it seems forced and make us live and act as they want this what o object to the fact you force your children on a certain way of life

This is where my advice will start to falter. Unlike other religions, Christianity doesn't have any obvious restrictions that God absolutely forbids, other then those of a criminal nature like murder. I didn't have to wear specific clothes, or eat specific meals so I had nothing to fear by finding my own path. I guess it depends on your interpretation of God. If you view him as a forgiving entity that will see what troubles you and the reasons behind your new actions, worship and abandonment of the previous rules then do as you see fit. If you truly believe you will suffer because of your actions if you take this course then you should stick to the safest option. As a now non-religious person, thinking about Godly wrath and punishment for my action puts little fear in my heart and doesn't dissuade my actions, so I'm sorry I can only give so little insight on this.
God is indeed forgiving he have forgave very bad people however some Muslims make me feel like i will burn in hell for eternity for simple things they are too closed minded and stuck in their own ways I can’t live such a lifestyle These rules are even worst for women and most restrictions and rules are against women

Original post by HierophantMasque
This is where my advice will start to falter. Unlike other religions, Christianity doesn't have any obvious restrictions that God absolutely forbids, other then those of a criminal nature like murder. I didn't have to wear specific clothes, or eat specific meals so I had nothing to fear by finding my own path. I guess it depends on your interpretation of God. If you view him as a forgiving entity that will see what troubles you and the reasons behind your new actions, worship and abandonment of the previous rules then do as you see fit. If you truly believe you will suffer because of your actions if you take this course then you should stick to the safest option. As a now non-religious person, thinking about Godly wrath and punishment for my action puts little fear in my heart and doesn't dissuade my actions, so I'm sorry I can only give so little insight on this.
God is indeed forgiving he have forgave very bad people however some Muslims make me feel like i will burn in hell for eternity for simple things they are too closed minded and stuck in their own ways I can’t live such a lifestyle These rules are even worst for women and most restrictions and rules are against women

Then trust in your forgiving God and do as you wish to worship as you wish. If in the end you and I were wrong in our approaches then we shall be granted forgiveness if we are good people. This idea gave me comfort in the early days of my abandonment of my religion as forgivness can always be found no matter how I believe as long as I am a morally good person. You should not be confined by the old ways and if he is watching then he will see it from your perspective and be understanding. If your issues with changing your worship is due to concerns with how you will be seen by the wider Muslim community ad your family, then you should seek their understanding or at least their acknowledgement. I'm sure if you are happy they will accept your wishes. Your future with marriage and the like won't be at risk either as I'm sure you will find a man who (while he may not be Muslim) will accept your beliefs and not push his upon you nor your children. Sorry if you already knew this or was not worried about this, I'm just thinking of ways I comforted my self during my transition.
You are an embarrassment. Just leave the religion Islam will always find a better muslim replacement I feel sorry for your family that they have to deal with you

And you're an uncompromising zealot.

If the Muslim way of worship was the only way to be seen as good in the eyes of God then only a quarter of the worlds population if that would get into heaven. Islam is a sect of Judaism with worship of a prophet as well as the Jewish God, just like Christianity but with a different prophet. If this is the same God and he is forgiving and all knowing, then he will respect and see these sects as alternate ways of worship and accept them. If he's not forgiving then he will see Jews as the truly devout and only accept them into heaven, a religion with even less of the worlds population following it.

I am not religious so perhaps I have a different perspective on the evolution of religion, but even if you don't accept that you share the same God with the rest of the world just not the same worship, you can see that calling a confused person struggling to find and truly trust in her faith an embarrassment would disappoint your God to no end. Perhaps not Hell worthy, but are you truly following God's teachings by insulting her and praising the family she views as oppressive?

Honestly in my opinion I think you're conflicted with Islam and its ideals and you're looking for approval/support from people to justify you leaving. Like you can still hold your own beliefs in God and not be Muslim i.e a person that just believes in one God and has no other ideals

Additionally, I disagree with how you said that in the UK Muslims are stricter than Saudi, for a fact they're not, in Saudi you get physical punishment i.e lashes... No intermingling or clubs so even you're perception of freedom is incomparable in Saudi

On the other hand I do agree that you as a grown woman should make your own decisions. Therefore, you should make the decision to move out on your own accord(not just for uni) . It's pointless to blame the religion if you don't agree with the ideals you could leave if you want no one's gonna do anything especially in the UK.

You already know its probably gonna piss your family off, so it's a matter of what you want more, to keep your family happy or to be you.

The only other solution I can give is marry a guy you like with similar ideals, that way your family are happy, you're happy, you can move out and do what you want and wear what you want

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh just tryna keep it 100. All the best
Original post by Amon-ster
Honestly in my opinion I think you're conflicted with Islam and its ideals and you're looking for approval/support from people to justify you leaving. Like you can still hold your own beliefs in God and not be Muslim i.e a person that just believes in one God and has no other ideals

Additionally, I disagree with how you said that in the UK Muslims are stricter than Saudi, for a fact they're not, in Saudi you get physical punishment i.e lashes... No intermingling or clubs so even you're perception of freedom is incomparable in Saudi

On the other hand I do agree that you as a grown woman should make your own decisions. Therefore, you should make the decision to move out on your own accord(not just for uni) . It's pointless to blame the religion if you don't agree with the ideals you could leave if you want no one's gonna do anything especially in the UK.

You already know its probably gonna piss your family off, so it's a matter of what you want more, to keep your family happy or to be you.

The only other solution I can give is marry a guy you like with similar ideals, that way your family are happy, you're happy, you can move out and do what you want and wear what you want

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh just tryna keep it 100. All the best

Not disagreeing or anything, but just wanted to input that that the path of Deism (or the belief in a God with no tenants) as Amon-ster suggested is growing in popularity around the world for all religions and there are plenty of places you can find information about it online.

are you following islam?it certainly does not say worship whom you want and worshipping anyone besides Allah is the biggest son you can commit!!
Do you know what a muslim is?
What it means to be a muslim?
Who our prophet is?
Why we are given rules and laws in our religion?
Because let me tell you there is a reason behind everything in our religion and you seem to not know much about islam at all and only hear what your family tells and they give no explanation for it.
This religion has rules and laws to protect us from evils and to help us and God only knows what is best for you more than you know what is best for yourself
If you want I can tell about our religion and help you understand why we do what we do and why these things are in place to the best of my abiltiy but thats only of you want to know and are open to advise and are a seeker of the truth otherwise if u are set on your ideas and are not willing to change there is no point in me advising you as you only want to hear what you want to hear and then my advise will fall on dead ears
Btw my previous response was not posted ad it got moderated for some reason
Peace and have a good day
I understand your frustration, it really does feel awful to feel like you have to live a double life and to feel like you are being forced to be someone that you are not, but the person who made the first response is so right. To have to wear a headscarf, and never wear jeans etc. is an interpretation of Islam, it is not the religion. You need to separate how your family practices Islam from what it actually is itself, and from how you may want to practice the faith. There are so many Muslim friends you can make who will wear jeans and no headscarf and believe they are practicing their faith just fine! And I'm sure you know that. There are even more who wear jeans etc and have read more of the scriptures than most.

Since doing my own research I feel so much better. I do not feel like I have to please anyone with my faith. I left the religion I was raised with and came to a completely new faith. At least research first. What is Islam? What are its underlying principles? What does it really mean to be a Muslim? If you can confidently answer those questions and you have nothing positive to say then fair enough, leaving your faith would make sense. But don't leave just because of how other people have presented the religion to you. Leave because you know, not because you think.

I say so because at the end of the day, you will find judgmental and restrictive people wherever you go. To think you only find it in a particular religion is naive. Anyone with blood running through their veins is capable of being this way that you have described, even those who know nothing about Islam. So what exactly do you want to leave? You don't want to waste your time running away from what you think is the problem, but is not.

Keep being as strong as I'm sure you are! It can get better.

Quick Reply

Latest