The Student Room Group

**Official Investment Banking Spring Week 2020 Thread**

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm stressing out... I've just finished my first year of a 4 year industrial placement course and was under the impression that I could get a year long placement in front office IB as an alternative to the spring week -> summer internship route. Is this actually doable or are placement opportunities only in middle/back office? Should I apply to spring weeks as second year and change to a 3 year course?
I am an international student commencing to read PPE (3 yr course) as an undergrad in upcoming October.Would it be correct to understand that this summer/fall is likely to be my only chance of applying for many of those spring insight weeks?If above stands to be the case, how am I to fill in the uni grades those online applications require, or the uni transcripts?
Reply 62
A good app I used when first getting into finance is 'Finimize', it is written by ex Goldman and Bloomberg execs and is especially designed for students like us wanting to get into the industry as it removes a lot of the unnecessary jargon that I know I found quite overwhelming in the beginning.
It involves a daily newsletter that keeps you up to date on the latest goings on in the industry, (earnings reports etc). This is especially useful when preparing for interviews and AC's.
There are also 'packs' which go through various topics like Portfolio Construction, Investing and even Cryptos that teach you from basic to proficient knowledge to wider your understanding.

Free newsletter
http://campus.finimize.com/email?kid=RJGDJ

There's also a free trial for the annual subscription
https://subscriptions.finimize.com/promotion/patrickh_47
Original post by yusyus
Question: is it possible/allowed to apply to a spring week in the first year of a four year course? Also, will I need to do a lot of reading about finance since I know little about it? (I'll be studying chemical engineering at Imperial)
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, im a student from Sweden looking to apply for spring week. I dont have much relevant work experience yet and have already studied half a year of economics. This autumn I will study philosophy and then continue studying economics and finance in pursuit of a degree. The university I attend is a top 3 school in Sweden, but I dont know if that is any good for applying to spring week in London. My question is if its useless trying to apply for spring week without any real relevant work experience?Thanks for any help.
is it beneficial/ relevant to put insight days on my CV when applying to spring weeks?
Original post by mk_dons29
is it beneficial/ relevant to put insight days on my CV when applying to spring weeks?

yes
Original post by CertainRomance
Hi, im a student from Sweden looking to apply for spring week. I dont have much relevant work experience yet and have already studied half a year of economics. This autumn I will study philosophy and then continue studying economics and finance in pursuit of a degree. The university I attend is a top 3 school in Sweden, but I dont know if that is any good for applying to spring week in London. My question is if its useless trying to apply for spring week without any real relevant work experience?Thanks for any help.

just apply
hi can I be added
Reply 68
Original post by Infinitight
/group chat created\

send me a message if you want to be added

could you add me to this chat please
Original post by Infinitight
/group chat created\

send me a message if you want to be added

Can I get added please I have messaged you
Reply 70
How am I supposed to apply to the spring weeks when they have already opened for places like Blackrock, GS, JP Morgan, but I don't start University until late september so right now I have no extra-curricular experience and am not apart of any societies? I don't have examples of anything for leadership roles etc.

I know it is encouraged to apply early but I havent started University yet so I dont have much to write on my CV apart from just a few insight days, top a level/gcse grades, and the name of my university which is a target university in the UK(Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick).
Original post by Treaty
How am I supposed to apply to the spring weeks when they have already opened for places like Blackrock, GS, JP Morgan, but I don't start University until late september so right now I have no extra-curricular experience and am not apart of any societies? I don't have examples of anything for leadership roles etc.

I know it is encouraged to apply early but I havent started University yet so I dont have much to write on my CV apart from just a few insight days, top a level/gcse grades, and the name of my university which is a target university in the UK(Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/Warwick).

Few days ago I looked at JP Morgan/GS and I couldn’t see whether they’ve opened it or not???
To the people that have just finished final year of school and are starting uni this September/October saying “how can we have done extracurricular to display leadership when Uni hasn’t started” ... surely most people have done a lot whilst at school to display such attributes? It doesn’t just suddenly start at university, unless all you’ve done at school is study.
Reply 73
Original post by Lawrence.L
To the people that have just finished final year of school and are starting uni this September/October saying “how can we have done extracurricular to display leadership when Uni hasn’t started” ... surely most people have done a lot whilst at school to display such attributes? It doesn’t just suddenly start at university, unless all you’ve done at school is study.

Yes that's exactly what I did. And my School didn't even have any extra curriculars, it was just focused on academia. We didn't even have PE classes. Headteacher thought of a great plan to cut down all the things such as form time etc. which take up a lot of time in the school day and instead to focus on more lesson time and academics.
Anyone applying for spring week’s now are making a huge mistake.

Don’t rush into it. Wait until you’ve started uni. No one in HR is looking at your applications until late September at the earliest.
Original post by BusMan21

Don’t rush into it. Wait until you’ve started uni. No one in HR is looking at your applications until late September at the earliest.

That’s the point^
Original post by Wnonynos
Can I get added please I have messaged you

can i be added please
Original post by BusMan21

Why would it be a mistake to apply now? If you have your results, have a uni place, have lots of work experience and several extra curriculars as well as trading experience through various extremely successful portfolios, why should I wait until I start university? What benefit will it give me? Do you think people should wait until uni starts so that they can join societies and put it on their CV? If so, I think that’s pretty weak as that’ll hardly separate any candidates for spring weeks, anyone can just join a society. However, if it is for some other reason, I am very interested to hear what that reason may be.
Reply 78
Original post by Lawrence.L
Why would it be a mistake to apply now? If you have your results, have a uni place, have lots of work experience and several extra curriculars as well as trading experience through various extremely successful portfolios, why should I wait until I start university? What benefit will it give me? Do you think people should wait until uni starts so that they can join societies and put it on their CV? If so, I think that’s pretty weak as that’ll hardly separate any candidates for spring weeks, anyone can just join a society. However, if it is for some other reason, I am very interested to hear what that reason may be.

What work experience do you have? Pretty difficult to get during sixth form
Original post by timif1
What work experience do you have? Pretty difficult to get during sixth form

Yeh it is quite difficult, but more and more banks are opening up sixth form programmes. HSBC and Goldman Sachs are the ones I know of. I have also done a work shadowing placement with a director at a wealth management bank and have done work experience in finance departments in other industries (not that applicable but better than nothing - or that’s the view I took, haven’t obviously been able to ask HR at a bank about the benefit of it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending