The Student Room Group

Cambridge Online Assessment

Dear all,

After narrowly missing twice the minimum language requirement of my conditional offer for a PhD in numerical methods at Cambridge (I took the IELTS exam and the first time I got 6.5 in writing while the second time I scored 6.5 in speaking), I was referred to the Language Centre for an online assessment. I would really appreciate if someone of you, who has already taken this test, has some suggestions/hints about the assessment and could share some information. What do they usually ask? Is there a time limit to complete the tasks?

Thank you so much! Can’t imagine how much it would help.

Best wishes,

Riccardo

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If anyone could help about the assessment - Id also be grateful!
Hi Riccardo, have you done the test? I am in the same stage as you, could you please give some help? Cheers1
Original post by Riccardodematte
Dear all,

After narrowly missing twice the minimum language requirement of my conditional offer for a PhD in numerical methods at Cambridge (I took the IELTS exam and the first time I got 6.5 in writing while the second time I scored 6.5 in speaking), I was referred to the Language Centre for an online assessment. I would really appreciate if someone of you, who has already taken this test, has some suggestions/hints about the assessment and could share some information. What do they usually ask? Is there a time limit to complete the tasks?

Thank you so much! Can’t imagine how much it would help.

Best wishes,

Riccardo

Riccardo
Original post by aaron_teooo
Hi Riccardo, have you done the test? I am in the same stage as you, could you please give some help? Cheers1

Riccardo

Hi aaron,

Have you taken the language assessment? I am in the same stage as you. I sent the request to the language center 10 days ago. But until now I haven't heard any feedback. If you have already taken the assessment. Could you please give some help. Many thanks!
Original post by Agnesyiyaya
Hi aaron,

Have you taken the language assessment? I am in the same stage as you. I sent the request to the language center 10 days ago. But until now I haven't heard any feedback. If you have already taken the assessment. Could you please give some help. Many thanks!

Hi Agnesyiyaya,

I am exactly at the same stage as you. I requested to have an online assessment on 1st August 2019 and haven't heard from the LC up to now. However, I have copied the reply from someone who has done this test recently. I hope it will be of great value to you. I will update you immediately once I had any update and will let you know more details once I have done this test myself. I hope you wont be as stressful as me. Have a nice day!

Reading: Summarize 2 articles + add your own opinion in 300 words
Listening: Summarize 10 min lecture in 200 words
Writing: Answer three questions: (1) what is your PhD about; (2) honest overview of your English skills; (3) rewrite passage in academic language.

There was no time limit but you have to do it in one sitting.
I took it an easy assignment and that was my mistake I think, spent 2.5 hours all in all.
…show less
----
Before, I took the exam, I tried to think of what I could write for the writing part. Other than that, there is not much to prepare for to be honest.
Compared to IELTS, it is much more relaxed (time-wise and stylistically). There are no multiple choices, no fill in the blanks, so tricks. You read/ listen and write about it, so it is all up to you and your abilities since there is no time constraint either.
Reply 5
Hi aaron,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I made a phone call to the language center today. An hour later, they sent me the feedback email. You may also try to contact them by phone. And I plan to do the assessment this weekend. I will update the information to you when I finish the test. Good luck to both of us.

Tell us what tasks you got :smile:
Hi Agnesyiyaya,

I am exactly at the same stage as you. I requested to have an online assessment on 1st August 2019 and haven't heard from the LC up to now. However, I have copied the reply from someone who has done this test recently. I hope it will be of great value to you. I will update you immediately once I had any update and will let you know more details once I have done this test myself. I hope you wont be as stressful as me. Have a nice day!

Reading: Summarize 2 articles + add your own opinion in 300 words
Listening: Summarize 10 min lecture in 200 words
Writing: Answer three questions: (1) what is your PhD about; (2) honest overview of your English skills; (3) rewrite passage in academic language.

There was no time limit but you have to do it in one sitting.
I took it an easy assignment and that was my mistake I think, spent 2.5 hours all in all.
…show less
----
Before, I took the exam, I tried to think of what I could write for the writing part. Other than that, there is not much to prepare for to be honest.
Compared to IELTS, it is much more relaxed (time-wise and stylistically). There are no multiple choices, no fill in the blanks, so tricks. You read/ listen and write about it, so it is all up to you and your abilities since there is no time constraint either.

Hi aaron,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I made a phone call to the language center today. An hour later, they sent me the feedback email. You may also try to contact them by phone. And I plan to do the assessment this weekend. I will update the information to you when I finish the test. Good luck to both of us.
Hi aaron,

Hi Agnesyiyaya,

May I know which number you call them? I also tried to call them but no one answer.

Best regards,
Aaron
Hi Agnesyiyaya,

May I know which number you call them? I also tried to call them but no one answer.

Best regards,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,

The number I found is on the LC web page. It is +44 1223 335058. The one who answers the phone will help you to transfer to the administrator of the LC. Also, I have completed the assessment today. The contents of the test are almost the same as you reply to me. Although there is no time limit for this test, the test at the beginning will reminds you to try to complete it no more than 3 hours. I am a little overtime when doing it today. Now I am stressed and hope the time won't affect the result. You probably pay attention to the time control. Good luck!

All the best,
Agnes
Hello!Thank you for sharing your experience! I was wondering if you were able to listen the record only once and if you were able to use dictionaries ?Best
Reply 10
You can listen to it multiple times from what I know. I was just wondering, there are two 300-word essays or the answers also have to be 300words?
Reply 11
Hi,

Thank you for all the information - really valuable. Just a quick question, for the listening component, is it possible to listen to the audio multiple times?
Original post by Eddie5
Hi,

Thank you for all the information - really valuable. Just a quick question, for the listening component, is it possible to listen to the audio multiple times?

Yes, you can listen to it multiple times!
Original post by shillyshally
Are we required to go to the Language Center or did you do the assessment on your own laptop? If so, how does the system work, no monitoring?

Use your own laptop to do the assessment.
Reply 14
Yes, you can listen to it multiple times!

Thank you very much, and one last question...

Is the assessment structured in such a way that you can only proceed to the next component (Reading then writing) after you have completed the first one or they can be done as one pleases?

Also, if it is sent as a link, can you choose when to attempt the assessment or they will give you the exact time that you ought to do it?

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 15
Guys, how long did you wait for the results after the assessment?
Hello, I took the assessment 2 days ago, when did they call you for the speaking assessment or they did not?
Reply 17
Original post by shillyshally
Hello, I took the assessment 2 days ago, when did they call you for the speaking assessment or they did not?

Hi, I am still to take mine. How was it like? Do you remember some of the questions? Was it difficult?

Also, do you get to choose when you can attempt the assessment or they give you the time to complete it?
Reply 18
Original post by Jonasz
Guys, how long did you wait for the results after the assessment?

I am still waiting for my results as well, have you got yours? If so, how many days did it take?
Anyone passed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending