The Student Room Group

not sure what to study at uni

please help... i'm meant to be going next month (looking in clearing)
Original post by Anonymous

What are you stuck between and why?
take a gap year if you’re not sure on what to study, no point going to study something you decide on last minute

My advice is: if you don't what to study at this late stage, then you're better off taking a gap year, not wasting a year of Student Finance, and getting work experience to make an informed decision on what you actually want to do.

Rushing into a course never helped anyone - I know it's tempting to go when everyone else you know is, but you'll be in a better position if you wait.
Liberal arts? Social sciences? Science and arts? Some things to keep your options open.

But tbh what the others have said about perhaps waiting until you know.
Hey!

What are some things you enjoyed in school?
What kind of subjects interest you?
Are you practical or theoretical? Do you like thinking or working with your hands?

Have a think on these and then look at Universities and their courses. Think back to what you enjoyed, were you big on Computing? What did you do well at? Did you do great at Science? Or were you more into English, Philosophy, those kind of things?
Hope it helps!
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
What are you stuck between and why?

Medicine- because I enjoy learning about that kind of thing, it is a rewarding and interesting job. Doubt it would ever be boring. Good wage, stable. But the work-life balance is tough, it is a lot of responsibility and extremely demanding. So I wonder if I should go for an easier option. (obviously not applying for this one in clearing- already have an offer).

And then the other options are just a science degree. I don't think Biology is a good option because there's not much you can do with that. I'm wondering if it would help to add maths in, so do natural sciences/ biology and maths joint honours. Just because a lot of jobs in the financial sector would prefer you to have good foundations in Maths.

The last option is a course like Economics/ Accounting/ Finance. don't think I will find it as interesting, and it's something I've never studied before so might not be any good at it. But again, may be more employable that NatSci etc. if I want to go into finance/ accounting types of jobs.

I doubt I would go into a lab-based job if I studied science, would probs still go into finance-related career.

Thank you.
Reply 7
take a gap year if you’re not sure on what to study, no point going to study something you decide on last minute

Sorry, forgot to mention- have already taken a gap year in the hope of deciding. Can't take another one because I know I won't be any further into deciding. Would rather start a degree so I can at least rule one in or out. Thank you though.
Reply 8
Original post by PhoenixFortune
My advice is: if you don't what to study at this late stage, then you're better off taking a gap year, not wasting a year of Student Finance, and getting work experience to make an informed decision on what you actually want to do.

Rushing into a course never helped anyone - I know it's tempting to go when everyone else you know is, but you'll be in a better position if you wait.

Sorry forgot to say that I've already taken a Gap Year to help me decide and it didn't get me any further. I have been undecided for 2 years now since first starting my uni application. I think I would be equally happy to study any of them, that's why it's hard to decide. It's also hard to let go of a medicine offer, I don't know if it's 100% right for me, but I don't want to have a regret like that hanging over me.
Wait, so did you apply to Medicine already? Have you done the UKCAT/BMAT? If so, you could go into Medicine for clearing I believe...?
Original post by randomsheep11
Wait, so did you apply to Medicine already? Have you done the UKCAT/BMAT? If so, you could go into Medicine for clearing I believe...?

I already have an unconditional offer to study medicine. I'm just not sure if it's right for me and I should give my place up to study something else. or whether I should give it a go.
I already have an unconditional offer to study medicine. I'm just not sure if it's right for me and I should give my place up to study something else. or whether I should give it a go.

An unconditional for Medicine? That's phenomenal!!! I would say take this opportunity. You seem like you are interested, but are scared that the future career may be too intense on your work-life balance. I'd say, you don't even need to become a doctor, but if you can study something you love that can keep the career as a viable option, I think it's a great idea. :smile:

With a medicine degree, you could always go into the finance sector you know. I work in a company that does pensions and annuities and stuff, and medically trained people have to basically determine whether someone is eligible for more money based off of their medical conditions. Maybe something like that could suit you too?
Original post by randomsheep11
An unconditional for Medicine? That's phenomenal!!! I would say take this opportunity. You seem like you are interested, but are scared that the future career may be too intense on your work-life balance. I'd say, you don't even need to become a doctor, but if you can study something you love that can keep the career as a viable option, I think it's a great idea. :smile:

With a medicine degree, you could always go into the finance sector you know. I work in a company that does pensions and annuities and stuff, and medically trained people have to basically determine whether someone is eligible for more money based off of their medical conditions. Maybe something like that could suit you too?

Thank you. Yeah that's something I was considering- to give it a go and if I decide by the end that the doctor life isn't for me, switch career paths. Thanks!
Medicine- because I enjoy learning about that kind of thing, it is a rewarding and interesting job. Doubt it would ever be boring. Good wage, stable. But the work-life balance is tough, it is a lot of responsibility and extremely demanding. So I wonder if I should go for an easier option. (obviously not applying for this one in clearing- already have an offer).

And then the other options are just a science degree. I don't think Biology is a good option because there's not much you can do with that. I'm wondering if it would help to add maths in, so do natural sciences/ biology and maths joint honours. Just because a lot of jobs in the financial sector would prefer you to have good foundations in Maths.

The last option is a course like Economics/ Accounting/ Finance. don't think I will find it as interesting, and it's something I've never studied before so might not be any good at it. But again, may be more employable that NatSci etc. if I want to go into finance/ accounting types of jobs.

I doubt I would go into a lab-based job if I studied science, would probs still go into finance-related career.

Thank you.

I d give medicine ago and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest