The Student Room Group

I'm preparing to submit my PhD thesis - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Scotney
What has been the worst part?

Hmmmm, for me personally, it would have probably been the period what's known as the "valley of ****" for a good year and a half. I was trying to get my base cases to work but that failed, my new code development wasn't going anywhere and overall I was questioning whether or not I was good enough to finish.

It all picked up around September last year and honestly my enjoyment for research came back as a result. Would never do another PhD though! And I know people who've done 2!
Sweet or salted popcorn :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Obolinda
Sweet or salted popcorn :biggrin:

Why not both? :teehee:

But if I had to pick one, I'd go sweet. Mostly cause after a massive tub I don't feel dehydrated :tongue:
Original post by Slowbro93
Why not both? :teehee:

But if I had to pick one, I'd go sweet. Mostly cause after a massive tub I don't feel dehydrated :tongue:

:angry: salt is best

Spoiler

Reply 24
Original post by Obolinda
:angry: salt is best

Spoiler

Salty popcorn in a smaller quantity is the best. Too much makes me want to jug so much water. Which is always a risk at the cinema I find :rofl:
Reply 25
Good luck! Have you got examiners and a viva date yet?
Reply 26
Original post by Anndee
Good luck! Have you got examiners and a viva date yet?

Examiners yes, viva date, no. The viva will only be confirmed once the thesis is handed in. I have done a "dress rehearsal" in my head for what I need to do when I submit though :tongue:

How are you feeling?
Reply 27
Are you hoping to become a university professor? :smile:
What’s your favourite type of cloud?
Reply 29
Examiners yes, viva date, no. The viva will only be confirmed once the thesis is handed in. I have done a "dress rehearsal" in my head for what I need to do when I submit though :tongue:

How are you feeling?

Ah, I see. I haven't got examiners or viva date yet but handed in the form that I intend to submit, which fixes my submission date. Not sure how I'm feeling - mostly stressed and terrified, I think. How about you?
Reply 30
Original post by solark
Are you hoping to become a university professor? :smile:

Ask me that in 5 years :tongue:

At the moment, no, but I find that I get scared when I think too far in advance. I do want to become my own boss of something though if that's an answer?
Original post by PQ
What’s your favourite type of cloud?

At the moment, a notilucent cloud, which is driven by the interactions between the stratosphere and mesosphere :teeth: However, because water vapour is of short supply within the mesosphere, these clouds are super rare.

Still, look how pretty they are :love:

notilucent-clouds-project-possum.jpg
Reply 31
Original post by Anndee
Ah, I see. I haven't got examiners or viva date yet but handed in the form that I intend to submit, which fixes my submission date. Not sure how I'm feeling - mostly stressed and terrified, I think. How about you?

I go through cycles, today officially marks one month till I submit, yet I'm oddly calm. Although I have just come back from being ill hence the slight "okay, this is happening, of crap" attitude!

How much more editing do you have left?
Was the PhD written on word or latex?
Reply 33
Original post by fourtreetwo
Was the PhD written on word or latex?

It's been written in Latex, I've mostly been using a program called Overleaf, which I've found to be super helpful as it's an online editor and the majority of the packages I need are already installed.
is it going to rain this afternoon ? i want to put the washing out :redface:
Alright, Simon Clark.
Reply 36
Original post by the bear
is it going to rain this afternoon ? i want to put the washing out :redface:

I'll ask my colleague now:

Original post by Notoriety
Alright, Simon Clark.

I wish I was Simon Clark at times. In this instant, I am not :tongue:
My submission date is in September, and honestly, I'm bricking it. So yeah, ask me anything! :biggrin:

Don't really have a question, but just wanted to wish you the very best of luck!

-From a random stranger on the internet :smile:
(Let's spread positive vibes bois)
What next?

How did you pace yourself?
(edited 4 years ago)
Here, have a can of worms :tongue:

Is climate change real?

Quick Reply

Latest