The Student Room Group

Brexiteers are hypocrites

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
6EB8B951-94C1-411B-842D-34B6856D5B0C.jpg.jpeg
we have wasted four years😥
Original post by theeetimdoherty
All these Brexiteers who have spent the last 3 years crying that to ignore the EU referendum is undemocratic are the first to support Boris Johnson's plan to bypass Parliament to implement his own Brexit agenda. Complete and utter hypocrites.

To flip things on its head, imagine 52% percent of the population voted to remain and a majority of MPs who were pro-Brexit found a way for Britain to leave the EU. What would people think then?
Original post by Napp
I'm mildly confused as to how you can attempt to deny a hell of a lot of people voted for it because they hate immigrants when that was one of the salient planks of the campaign... so called uncontrolled immigration.

The campaign point has controlled immigration. While I don’t deny that could attract people who hate immigrants, wanting controlled immigration doesn’t mean you hate immigrants.
Original post by Wired_1800
What are you on about? The Parliament have sworn to deny the will of the people so Johnson is going for the will of the people.

Really? Do tell when the people actually voted for a no-deal Brexit? Before the referendum hardly any mention was made of a no-deal Brexit.All the talk was of how easy it would be to get a good deal.No mention was made of the 50 billion divorce bill either.Furthermore the people who voted for Brexit are not the same people who voted two years ago.Many are dead and many more can now vote.
Original post by James2312
Really? Do tell when the people actually voted for a no-deal Brexit? Before the referendum hardly any mention was made of a no-deal Brexit.All the talk was of how easy it would be to get a good deal.No mention was made of the 50 billion divorce bill either.Furthermore the people who voted for Brexit are not the same people who voted two years ago.Many are dead and many more can now vote.

Not this again.

First of all, the idea of a second referendum is stupid IMO. Remainers are arguing about having another poll because the some of the previous voters have died or that that the situation has changed. However, these same people will agree against a second indy ref for Scotland because it was supposed to be “once in a generation” vote. I think it is silly and some people are using diabolical means to stop the will of the people.

Yes, the people did not vote for No Deal but they voted to Leave. We are trying to leave with a decent agreement but the EU and Remainer MPs have tried their best to produce a rubbish deal to show the people that they should not leave. This has caused so much uncertainty that companies and people are worried about what happens next.

I think we have to leave Deal or No Deal. The people voted to leave and we must uphold the will of the people. It would be great if the EU decides to give us a good agreement, but if not, then we leave and make our way as we have done for centuries.
Not this again.

First of all, the idea of a second referendum is stupid IMO. Remainers are arguing about having another poll because the some of the previous voters have died or that that the situation has changed. However, these same people will agree against a second indy ref for Scotland because it was supposed to be “once in a generation” vote. I think it is silly and some people are using diabolical means to stop the will of the people.

Yes, the people did not vote for No Deal but they voted to Leave. We are trying to leave with a decent agreement but the EU and Remainer MPs have tried their best to produce a rubbish deal to show the people that they should not leave. This has caused so much uncertainty that companies and people are worried about what happens next.

I think we have to leave Deal or No Deal. The people voted to leave and we must uphold the will of the people. It would be great if the EU decides to give us a good agreement, but if not, then we leave and make our way as we have done for centuries.

They didn't try to produce a bad deal.The deal was just the reality when you have 27 countries vs 1.Plus there are certain realities to do with the Irish border which are hard to solve.Why would they intentionally try to sabotage it? Mrs May struck me as a patriot.She did the best she could with what she had.

The people might have voted for Brexit but they were lied to and misled about the effects.Thats not a fair vote.Would they have voted to be poorer? Or for a recession? The pound used to be stronger than the euro.Now it's the same.At one point you could get two US dollars for every pound.Thats not the case anymore.Who says the people know best? As for Scotland....They're entitled to a vote but we're already breaking up one union what's the point in breaking up another centuries old one?

As for making our own way.The world has changed.We're no longer an empire or a superpower.We're a tiny island.Which is why we work best when backed up by other European countries.As For all this talk of a trade deal with the USA...Well what does the UK have to offer? The USA doesn't need us.We need them.That instantly puts us in a weaker position.Any trade deal with the USA would benefit them more than us.And standards would be lower.I don't know about you but I don't really want to eat chicken that's been soaked in chlorine.
I don't see why everyone thinks that millions of people can't be morons.Just because you don't like the idea doesn't make it untrue.In fact all the evidence suggests the opposite.If the majority of people were smart then the world would be a much better place.

Both sides of the Brexit argument have plenty of people who are sure that the opposing side are all "morons". Just because you think it doesn't make it true, you're not automatically correct because you think you are. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and resorting to name calling because you disagree with people is pathetic.
They didn't try to produce a bad deal.The deal was just the reality when you have 27 countries vs 1.Plus there are certain realities to do with the Irish border which are hard to solve.Why would they intentionally try to sabotage it? Mrs May struck me as a patriot.She did the best she could with what she had.

The people might have voted for Brexit but they were lied to and misled about the effects.Thats not a fair vote.Would they have voted to be poorer? Or for a recession? The pound used to be stronger than the euro.Now it's the same.At one point you could get two US dollars for every pound.Thats not the case anymore.Who says the people know best? As for Scotland....They're entitled to a vote but we're already breaking up one union what's the point in breaking up another centuries old one?

As for making our own way.The world has changed.We're no longer an empire or a superpower.We're a tiny island.Which is why we work best when backed up by other European countries.As For all this talk of a trade deal with the USA...Well what does the UK have to offer? The USA doesn't need us.We need them.That instantly puts us in a weaker position.Any trade deal with the USA would benefit them more than us.And standards would be lower.I don't know about you but I don't really want to eat chicken that's been soaked in chlorine.

No she did not. She ignored calls from some MPs to prepare for No Deal. Her Chancellor actively blocked no deal preparations and even refused to fund any preparation. The Civil Service was ill-equipped and Madam May refused to acknowledge it even after she narrowly won her Party confidence vote.

Trust me, she is no patriot. I don't think she did the best she could. Any PM who sold the UK the way she did would have been held for treason. A documentary about the negotiations showed that she was too focus on trying to stay that she conceded too much. She also refused help from Brexiteers and only begged them when she lost the vote 3 times.

Again, this nonsense. The people voted to leave. Yes leave voters are not homogenous so we cannot speculate on their reasons for voting but the bottom is that they voted to leave. The issue with the economy and the pound is based on the uncertainty.

So, if the people don't know the best, then who does. You are hitting at the very heart of the representative democracy and slowly moving towards a totalitarian system that dismisses the will of the people. It is funny how we love to attack China’s system of government but then, at the same time, eroding the rights of our citizens.

Oh, so you don't want to break up the Scottish union but they want another shot at a referendum. It is hypocritical to want a ref for the UK but not for Scotland.

To your final point, the USA is not the only nation on the planet. We are too focused on trade with the US. There are more than 100 countries in the world. Outside the EU, we can make our way.
No she did not. She ignored calls from some MPs to prepare for No Deal. Her Chancellor actively blocked no deal preparations and even refused to fund any preparation. The Civil Service was ill-equipped and Madam May refused to acknowledge it even after she narrowly won her Party confidence vote.

Trust me, she is no patriot. I don't think she did the best she could. Any PM who sold the UK the way she did would have been held for treason. A documentary about the negotiations showed that she was too focus on trying to stay that she conceded too much. She also refused help from Brexiteers and only begged them when she lost the vote 3 times.

Again, this nonsense. The people voted to leave. Yes leave voters are not homogenous so we cannot speculate on their reasons for voting but the bottom is that they voted to leave. The issue with the economy and the pound is based on the uncertainty.

So, if the people don't know the best, then who does. You are hitting at the very heart of the representative democracy and slowly moving towards a totalitarian system that dismisses the will of the people. It is funny how we love to attack China’s system of government but then, at the same time, eroding the rights of our citizens.

Oh, so you don't want to break up the Scottish union but they want another shot at a referendum. It is hypocritical to want a ref for the UK but not for Scotland.

To your final point, the USA is not the only nation on the planet. We are too focused on trade with the US. There are more than 100 countries in the world. Outside the EU, we can make our way.

Yes but distance matters doesn't it? Obviously it's going to be easier to trade with countries that are much closer to us.Obviously it will cost a lot more in shipping and in time to import stuff from China or Japan than say France.The question is why exactly should we make our own way outside the EU if we don't have to? Why not stick with the trade agreement we have which is much superior to no deal instead of making deals with random countries halfway across the globe? You keep saying the people voted for it and May kept doing that too.They keep on about democracy but they've gone remarkably quiet on the benefits of being outside the EU.So other than democracy can you name what we actually gain from being outside the EU and why it's superior to what we had before? It strikes me that the only reason people keep harping on about democracy is because its quite obvious no-deal will be inferior.

It's not totalitarian to let parliament decide on some matters.We don't have a vote on every single issue the government makes a law on.We have a parliamentary democracy not a true democracy.
Yes but distance matters doesn't it? Obviously it's going to be easier to trade with countries that are much closer to us.Obviously it will cost a lot more in shipping and in time to import stuff from China or Japan than say France.The question is why exactly should we make our own way outside the EU if we don't have to? Why not stick with the trade agreement we have which is much superior to no deal instead of making deals with random countries halfway across the globe? You keep saying the people voted for it and May kept doing that too.They keep on about democracy but they've gone remarkably quiet on the benefits of being outside the EU.So other than democracy can you name what we actually gain from being outside the EU and why it's superior to what we had before? It strikes me that the only reason people keep harping on about democracy is because its quite obvious no-deal will be inferior.

It's not totalitarian to let parliament decide on some matters.We don't have a vote on every single issue the government makes a law on.We have a parliamentary democracy not a true democracy.

As I previously wrote, I am not delusional and I agree that an EU trade deal is good for both parties, but the EU have refused to give us a good deal. I think being in the EU is dangerous and foolish, if we have voted to leave. It is better to be out of the EU and have a trade deal.

There is difference between being in the EU and then having a trade deal with the EU. Norway, Switzerland and some other countries have trade deals with the EU. The main issue that many people have not realised is that we have not even discussed the future relationship (i.e. the actual trade deal) with the EU. We are still arguing about the withdrawal agreement.

In a democracy, the people’s will is supreme. Parliament does not trump the will of the people. That is why when parliament cannot make a fundamental decision, the ask the people in an election or a referendum.
Original post by MajorKong
Please stop with the THEY VOTED FOR BREXIT BECAUSE THEY HATE IMMIGRANTS!!!11!!!11!!!1!!

That's not why they voted for Brexit. They voted for it because they grew enough of being ruled by a undemocratic bureaucracy in Brussels for 40 years.

You're utterly deluded if you think that this is true. The vast majority of Brexit voters will have voted because of beliefs somewhere around immigration, whether it's control of borders, taking jobs etc, whatever it may be, that is why they voted. Oh, and also because of the lies from Farage and co. Only a minority actually know what the EU does apart from not letting us have control of our borders...
Original post by imlikeahermit
You're utterly deluded if you think that this is true. The vast majority of Brexit voters will have voted because of beliefs somewhere around immigration, whether it's control of borders, taking jobs etc, whatever it may be, that is why they voted. Oh, and also because of the lies from Farage and co. Only a minority actually know what the EU does apart from not letting us have control of our borders...

In my opinion, Farage wasn't a liar. I quite like him. And I'm happy that the population rushed to the Brexit Party for the EU elections. He isn't a racist, he left UKIP because they got too fixed over Islam. You were the ones berating that UKIP was racist, now it's the Brexit Party. Also, the EU is a corrupt bureaucracy. And the Brexit Party, Farage and Johnson won't put up with any rubbish from Brussels, and good on them all. We've put up with Brussels berating us like a little kid for 40 years, and the UK have enough of it. A Halloween Brexit will happen now. I hope it does.

How do you know that the vast majority voted for immigration? Be honest, you made that up.
Original post by Napp
You forgot to add morons.

Brilliant literally the definition of bigotry
Reply 55
Original post by Andrew97
The campaign point has controlled immigration. While I don’t deny that could attract people who hate immigrants, wanting controlled immigration doesn’t mean you hate immigrants.

Maybe but that isnt how a not insignificant number of people interpreted it.
Although one of the stranger claims i heard was ditch european immigration in favour of migrants from the commonwealth... these people invariably seemed to forget the vast majority of the commonwealth is the sort of migrant they have been getting in a tizzy over i.e. black :lol:
Reply 56
Original post by Burton Bridge
Brilliant literally the definition of bigotry

Your point being? I mean nevermind the fact your hypocrisy is astounding there.

*sigh* If Brexiteers are racist and hate immigrants, then why are Priti Patel, Sajid Javid and James Cleverly Brexiteers?

Yes but what if the reason you can't get your fish is that the other employees in the restaurant really want you to have the chicken and keep hiding the fish.

No offence but the writer of that post is one of the most idiotic persons that I have seen on TSR so far.

So you ordered fish and have been waiting for 3 hours. Whilst you are dying of hunger, the chef has changed two times, staff are fighting amongst themselves and large parts of the restaurant appears to be on FIRE. Yet, the only thing that is on your mind is that you want to be asked again whether you definitely still wanted the fish.

Any sane person would have left the restaurant when the first chef quit or when the second chef quit or when the staff started arguing, or, maybe, just maybe, when the restaurant was on fire. Not stand there like a moron waiting to be asked whether they still wanted fish.

It is incredible how people trivialise one of the biggest decision our nation has made since the second world war. Rather than unite to make Brexit a success we have people like the “fish whisperer” making silly comments.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending