The Student Room Group

SFE advised I am NOT eligible for finance due to previous Masters loan

Hello, just come on here for some advice and support.

The system online won't let me apply for finance for my full time PGCE as my Masters finishes this academic year which I have had a loan for.

I phoned up SFE and received advice from 2 separate individuals that nobody with a postgraduate loan (Masters, PhD) is eligible to receive funding for a PGCE as it is the same level qualification.

The gentleman said I had been misadvised online and that they would definitely not be funding it.

I didn't think that this was the case, as I thought it didn't matter what previous quals you had unless you already had QTS.

Does anyone have any advice?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by raisethisbarn

The system online won't let me apply for finance as my Masters finishes this academic year which I have had a loan for.

I phoned up SFE and received advice from 2 separate individuals that nobody with a postgraduate loan (Masters, PhD) is eligible to receive funding for a PGCE as it is the same level qualification.

The gentleman said I had been misadvised online and that they would definitely not be funding it.

I didn't think that this was the case, as I thought didn't matter what previous quals you had unless you already had QTS.

AFAIK, you are correct and SFE are wrong- I know a few people with masters and PhDs who got full funding for a PGCE in the 2018-2019 academic year.

I'd suggest calling up your uni's finance office, and possibly the get into teaching helpline, to see if they can advise, and your uni may be able to help you liase with SFE.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
AFAIK, you are correct and SFE are wrong- I know a few people with masters and PhDs who got full funding for a PGCE in the 2018-2019 academic year.

I'd suggest calling up your uni's finance office, and possibly the get into teaching helpline, to see if they can advise, and your uni may be able to help you liase with SFE.

Thank you. I will try this. They said the Get Into Teaching website was displaying false information and didn't have an answer when I said that I knew others had been funded despite having a post-graduate loan. I'll definitely give those two places a ring.
Thank you. I will try this. They said the Get Into Teaching website was displaying false information and didn't have an answer when I said that I knew others had been funded despite having a post-graduate loan. I'll definitely give those two places a ring.

I'm pretty sure the Get Into Teaching is run by the DofE, so it should display correct advice.

@GetIntoTeaching

Can you clarify on op's situation?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I'm pretty sure the Get Into Teaching is run by the DofE, so it should display correct advice.

@GetIntoTeaching

Can you clarify on op's situation?

Thanks. I spoke to 2 advisers and got the same information. That as the course was the 'same level' - they would never look to fund it.
Thanks. I spoke to 2 advisers and got the same information. That as the course was the 'same level' - they would never look to fund it.

In last year's cycle, this definitely wasn't the case- I know 2 people with PhDs and a couple more with masters who got tuition fee loans last year.

Although there's a small possibility there has been a rule change slipped through very quietly, I'd expect SFE advisers to at least acknowledge this.

I hope your uni or someone else can help you out on Monday!
Reply 6

The system online won't let me apply for finance for my full time PGCE as my Masters finishes this academic year which I have had a loan for.

I didn't think that this was the case, as I thought it didn't matter what previous quals you had unless you already had QTS.

PGCE funding is classed as undergraduate. Make sure you are applying through undergraduate. You can't have the master funding twice. DO IT THROUGH UNDERGRADUATE!
Original post by happyy
PGCE funding is classed as undergraduate. Make sure you are applying through undergraduate. You can't have the master funding twice. DO IT THROUGH UNDERGRADUATE!

Yep I’ve tried but as my Masters technically isn’t over yet so it won’t let me do it online :frown: I clicked through to undergraduate full time and it’s greyed out.
Yep I’ve tried but as my Masters technically isn’t over yet so it won’t let me do it online :frown: I clicked through to undergraduate full time and it’s greyed out.

It’s so weird SFE. I got my PGCE funded. (As an undergrad, as you are allowed 4 years of finance as part of your undergrad). I’ve just been approved to get masters funding for a course I am starting in September as a part time alongside teaching. I would definitely speak with your uni about this. As you should be allowed funding, unless you took 4 years to do your original undergrad degree.
Original post by tom_tom_tom
It’s so weird SFE. I got my PGCE funded. (As an undergrad, as you are allowed 4 years of finance as part of your undergrad). I’ve just been approved to get masters funding for a course I am starting in September as a part time alongside teaching. I would definitely speak with your uni about this. As you should be allowed funding, unless you took 4 years to do your original undergrad degree.

Nope I took 3 years. It’s so frustrating - I hope it gets sorted out but they were so final on the phone..
Original post by tom_tom_tom

ITT courses don't follow the equivalent or higher qualification rule- it's nothing to do with how many years of undergrad funding you got. Up until last year, you could definitely get full funding, regardless of how much student finance funding you had used in the past.

I got 4 years of undergrad funding (dropped out of my original degree and then went back and did a different one for 3 years) and still got full funding in the last cycle.
Hi, any news re this dilemma? I’m in much the same position and was hoping SFE might clarify today
*UPDATE ON THIS*Just called student finance and spoke to a lovely advisor who clarified. The two advisors on Saturday had misinformed me and she is going to leave feedback on those calls. I am eligible for full funding due to it being an exception course. Thank god I called back!!Thank you everyone for your advice on here, it stopped me worrying so much over the weekend.
That’s wonderful news :wink: My blood ran cold when I read your threads as I am expecting a response re my finance this week. Such a shame they put you through all that, I guess the call centre has a high turnover of staff, but still no excuse
*UPDATE ON THIS*Just called student finance and spoke to a lovely advisor who clarified. The two advisors on Saturday had misinformed me and she is going to leave feedback on those calls. I am eligible for full funding due to it being an exception course. Thank god I called back!!Thank you everyone for your advice on here, it stopped me worrying so much over the weekend.

Glad to hear that things have been sorted for you and well done for persevering!
Original post by 'Elf'n'safety
That’s wonderful news :wink: My blood ran cold when I read your threads as I am expecting a response re my finance this week. Such a shame they put you through all that, I guess the call centre has a high turnover of staff, but still no excuse

Thank you - just read your personal message! Sorry :smile: Fingers crossed for our funding then!! :biggrin:
Hi, well I just found out online that my application has been approved...! :smile: :smile: I applied on the 8th July, however I am a returning student not a continuing student and so I understand yours will be quicker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending