The Student Room Group

GCSE History Revision (Edexcel 9-1)

Hi, was just wondering if now would be a good time for me to start making revision tools for a content-heavy subject such as history; I am in year 10, going into year 11, with around half of my summer holidays left. If so, what revision method would be best suited for a subject like History.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
I’m in the same situation as you and hope to make my history notes in summer by making revision cards and mindmaps so that in Year 11 I can focus on learning the content and applying to exam questions
Hey there guys! This is Anonymous Education. I've just finished my GCSE's this year and I am happy to help. Visit my profile to see the link to my blog.

Good luck for your GCSE's guys. You will do great!
Reply 3
I did Edexcel History this year and I can safely say that the most important thing is knowing what the mark-scheme requires you to do. If you know the information but don’t structure your answer well enough, you won’t get the marks. Start learning dates, and make sure that you know the importance of each event. I used flash cards, so some else could test me every so often. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SlightlySummer
What topics are you guys doing?

Weimar and Nazi Germany, The Cold War and Super Power Relations, Elizabethan England, Medicine through time. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by epicnm
I’m in the same situation as you and hope to make my history notes in summer by making revision cards and mindmaps so that in Year 11 I can focus on learning the content and applying to exam questions

Ah Same Here!
Reply 6
Original post by alice03x
I did Edexcel History this year and I can safely say that the most important thing is knowing what the mark-scheme requires you to do. If you know the information but don’t structure your answer well enough, you won’t get the marks. Start learning dates, and make sure that you know the importance of each event. I used flash cards, so some else could test me every so often. Good luck :smile:

Thank you for the tip. :smile:
Original post by nav_sharda
Weimar and Nazi Germany, The Cold War and Super Power Relations, Elizabethan England, Medicine through time. :smile:

I'm doing the same, but instead of medicine I'm doing Crime and punishment.
What's your best revision technique?
Hi, was just wondering if now would be a good time for me to start making revision tools for a content-heavy subject such as history; I am in year 10, going into year 11, with around half of my summer holidays left. If so, what revision method would be best suited for a subject like History.

I'm doing a lot of mindmaps for it which I find useful. It does seem really overwhelming as it is very content-based and it often feels like the course it massive but just make sure you've understood everything so far and go over a few useful details.

Original post by MIMI_742
I'm doing a lot of mindmaps for it which I find useful. It does seem really overwhelming as it is very content-based and it often feels like the course it massive but just make sure you've understood everything so far and go over a few useful details.

I usually use mindmaps, they're quite good for learning names and dates
I think the most important thing you need to know is the structure of answering the question. You have to identify, describe, explain and analyse depending on the question. For example if it says describe two features of.... there is no point explaining. You would just be wasting time that you don’t really have in the exam. My teacher always taught us for describe always put “this is because...” for explain, “this means that... this shows us that.... this tells us that...” and for analyse it’s “some historians may argue that” and put a point that contradicts your identify. For the how far do you agree questions have an introduction, 2 for paragraphs and one against the statement or 2 against and 1 for. Always start the how far do you agree question with it is a compelling argument to suggest that.... it is a stronger argument to suggest that...” and a conclusion. Trust me on these point I got a 9 in my mocks and now I’m waiting on hopefully a very good grade in history.
I did American west, Elizabethan England, Medicine through time and Weimer and Nazi Germany.
And I revised using flash cards.
Good luck!
Start doing your notes from now especially for subjects like history.
Reply 11
I’m doing American West, Medicine in britain, Anglo Saxon, Weimar and Nazi Germany,
Reply 12
Original post by Queen_1
I think the most important thing you need to know is the structure of answering the question. You have to identify, describe, explain and analyse depending on the question. For example if it says describe two features of.... there is no point explaining. You would just be wasting time that you don’t really have in the exam. My teacher always taught us for describe always put “this is because...” for explain, “this means that... this shows us that.... this tells us that...” and for analyse it’s “some historians may argue that” and put a point that contradicts your identify. For the how far do you agree questions have an introduction, 2 for paragraphs and one against the statement or 2 against and 1 for. Always start the how far do you agree question with it is a compelling argument to suggest that.... it is a stronger argument to suggest that...” and a conclusion. Trust me on these point I got a 9 in my mocks and now I’m waiting on hopefully a very good grade in history.
I did American west, Elizabethan England, Medicine through time and Weimer and Nazi Germany.
And I revised using flash cards.
Good luck!
Start doing your notes from now especially for subjects like history.

Thanks for this. Do you have any exemplar responses for these questions? Thanks
Original post by epicnm
Thanks for this. Do you have any exemplar responses for these questions? Thanks

Ill see if I have any because I’ve thrown away everything

I’ve just left year 11 and did history AQA. I’d recommend highlighting through your work/revision guides and reading it all thoroughly a couple of times before you start making notes. Then I would condense your information and put it on a spider diagram and hang them on the wall. Re read these all on your wall once/ twice a week. Then each night leading up to the exam read them before bed and when you wake up (sounds like a lot but it’s worth it).

On the day of your exam take the spider diagram into school and highlight it all again and the important info, such as key dates, to make sure you have one last revision session to make you feel comfortable. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest