The Student Room Group

would I get in

I'm extremely interested in a masters course at Oxford University, entry requirements are either 1st or High 2.1. I achieved a low 2.1. Should I apply or not?
If it's free to apply, sure, why not? It's not like UCAS where you only have 5 options. But it might cost you to apply.
I can’t speak to Oxford but a lot of universities, including prestigious ones, flat-out lie about who they will accept for an MSc/MA. Using stern language about which classes of degree they’ll accept but making prompt unconditional offers on a full banding beneath that.

If I were you, I’d put the application in. Not going to do you any harm and it’s certainly possible that they will accept you. Try to make sure all of the other components of the application are as good as they can be.
Original post by Aragon23
I'm extremely interested in a masters course at Oxford University, entry requirements are either 1st or High 2.1. I achieved a low 2.1. Should I apply or not?

Completely depends on the course and your circumstances. What course are you looking at? And was there a reason why you achieved a low 2:1? If it's a competitive one then it's unlikely, due to the sheer amount of applicants. The Oxford admissions process is very involved, however, so there are plenty of ways to shine. Also, to add to the user above, it costs £75 to apply.
Reply 4
I don't think degree class matters much, it seems more of a threshold, people were rejected from my masters courses at oxbridge who had 1sts and were on dean's lists. Based on the people who were accepted it seems interesting experiences, extra research, previous work, and other things to really show you're committed and have stood out in your area and have ambition for the future matter more. Plus one of the biggest aspects of interviews is what exactly your research plans for the MSc year are, so prepare that is as much detail as possible -- 4/4 interviews grilled me on research plans:smile:

References are very important btw, they specifically ask questions such as 'is this student in the top 25%, 10%, 5% or 1% of students you have ever taught', and oxford require 3 references -- I'd make sure you're on good terms with referees ahead of time:smile:

Cambridge is £60 btw, and both universities offer reduced fees if applying for multiple courses in the same department. Oh and cambridge is rolling admissions, so I would apply as soon as possible (they open in September). Be sure to check both universities' masters courses, they tend to cover slightly different areas often (I can only speak for sciency bits).

I'm happy to answer any more questions, as it took bloody ages applying, feel I should put that time to good use ahaha!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending