The Student Room Group

Have you ever been told you "act white"?

If you aren't white, If so how does it make you feel?

Scroll to see replies

It made me feel as though people are saying my race have no manners, aren’t home trained and can be civilised human beings
Reply 2
Original post by Michelle_MX
It made me feel as though people are saying my race have no manners, aren’t home trained and can be civilised human beings

Same, I hate it so much like I can be nice and polite AND be black
Reply 3
I used to live with a black guy, hes a good lad but aways made comments about 'white people', he would make comments about everyone's white people clothes and white people music and dancing. He once made a comment on my cooking calling in white people food (steak, green beans, new potatoes with a blue cheese and shallot sauce). Anyway it was white people everything. I made ONE single comment about fried chicken and water melon which the guy found hilarious and someone else in the house (a white guy) starts making complaints to the uni.
yea I get called coconut quite a lot by friends, classmates and family
my relatives get soppy and nostalgic because they hate that i've become very english but I meann I don't have any identity problems im proud of being an indian living in england and this country is amazing ain't nothing wrong with 'acting white' you do you
Reply 5
@SlightlySummer this thread is for you :u:
yep, due to my accent, how I speak and the words I use. I know it's meant to be a compliment and it does make me feel gd but it's obviously not implying very good things about black people.
Reply 7
Yeah, I think it’s stupid. Many people say it from a place of jealously if you’re doing well in my opinion. I don’t see what’s so white about having money and spending it wisely, speaking affluently, not mixing with only people from my own race and dropping a culture because it doesn’t match my values… I know what they really mean but I’m quite offended they define my race, or even their own race like that.

Especially because it’s true to who I am. This is how I was raised, to define myself, I wasn’t taught black, white or brown. I don’t see color as a defining thing, much like I wouldn’t judge a person by their nose. It’s just another feature.
(edited 4 years ago)
yeah, I find it funny but stupid also.
Reply 9
Original post by jay111a
I used to live with a black guy, hes a good lad but aways made comments about 'white people', he would make comments about everyone's white people clothes and white people music and dancing. He once made a comment on my cooking calling in white people food (steak, green beans, new potatoes with a blue cheese and shallot sauce). Anyway it was white people everything. I made ONE single comment about fried chicken and water melon which the guy found hilarious and someone else in the house (a white guy) starts making complaints to the uni.

Lol this is because a lot of white people, brown people too, think they’re black and are desperate to mimic and be accept by them and their culture.
Yep, i resonate with this,
Not sure but it can be considered as a form of cultural deprivation whereby they expect an individual to have a ceiling on their potential. I have experienced it plenty of times.
(edited 4 years ago)
@syrup! calls me a coconut because he called me a naughty word which I didn’t understand, when I have trouble understanding sexual innuendos in English HOW would I understand them in different languages 😂😅

In all seriousness OP my friends and classmates do often call me a ‘posh little bugger’ 😂 I don’t mind because you don’t have to be white to speak formal English, or act ‘white’
(edited 4 years ago)
I have for many reasons, it used to make me annoyed, thinking there was something wrong with me, but now I can filter those people out.
Reasons were:

My accent sounds posh (it doesn't really)
I spat on the ground ( nasty I know but there are reasons :tongue: ) and the magnitude of the velocity was small.
The music I listened to (was incredibly into The Beatles a few years ago and The Smiths 'til I die, but this was still weird, because I listen to most genres)
The way I dress (shirt tucked in, lack of name brand clothing, wearing my tie long in school)
The fact that I enjoyed going to pubs.
The fact that most of my friends ( of which I don't have many) are white.
Because my grades were high in school ( They were nowhere near high, but it's an assumption someone made)
Because of my resting face ( dunno what that meant honestly)
Because I played guitar.

It used to annoy me a lot, I didn't show it, but it did. I felt as though I couldn't just be myself without criticism, I thought something was wrong, without even doing anything wrong; I got these comments multiple times per day when I was in school and growing up a little. After leaving school I rarely got these comments and the majority of people are cool with individualism. I've only got the comment once recently and that was from a dude in uni who made a comment about the band on my tshirt calling them a white band. I mean why can't people just enjoy what they enjoy without having to think about whether others enjoy it? If anyone says this now, I just ignore them and don't continue speaking to them, because it really is racism.
A friend of mine once didn't think I ate hot food, since I always bring cold food to eat, she thought it was a white people thing. People just pick up stereotypes everywhere.
I can't remember who called me a coconut but I have also been called a coconut (brown on outside, white on inside). I don't mind it, it's quite true. Especially when you consider my (exceedingly white-English, posh, upper-middle class) PhD supervisor is more Asian than I can ever aspire to be :rofl:

:bhangra:
yes and it’s very offensive. i get called that by my sister
I always get told I act black. I know what acting black is and it's not me. It's more that I'm working class and less so attempting to ****ing be black like wtf?
Reply 17
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I always get told I act black. I know what acting black is and it's not me. It's more that I'm working class and less so attempting to ****ing be black like wtf?

oml yeah bruv i relate, iss acc a pisstakee
what the hell is acting black??
I recently lost my **** at someone who is white saying that "they think I sound like a white person". This was mostly stemmed from the fact that I didn't do very "black things". Honestly, I was pissed.

This video comes to mind:

Quick Reply

Latest