The Student Room Group

I'm preparing to submit my PhD thesis - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Kroznox
Don't really have a question, but just wanted to wish you the very best of luck!

-From a random stranger on the internet :smile:
(Let's spread positive vibes bois)

Thank you :love: I'm all about spreading positive vibes regarding the PhD of course :biggrin:

Original post by batter mix
What next?

How did you pace yourself?

I've applied for a couple of postdocs (only a couple cause one of them was for a proposal I helped write and we got so there a job in it for me), but for the next few years my focus is to develop my knowledge for cloud physics and be in a position where I can apply for my own fellowship. In terms of what I want do afterwards, it'll be looking to combine the work done by both government and academia on topics such as climate change communication and using my expertise to aid that.

In terms of pacing, I initially thought about it as "a chapter a year" at first. In reality, that didn't happen and I've found that most of my work has come from the last 12 months :rofl:

Original post by Moments
Here, have a can of worms :tongue:

Is climate change real?

Based on scientific evidence, yes. There's still a high level of uncertainty associated, but we're all in agreement that it's happening.
Original post by Slowbro93
I'll ask my colleague now:

I wish I was Simon Clark at times. In this instant, I am not :tongue:

thanks for your help :h:
How many productive days out of 5 did you have the first six months and first year?
Reply 43
Original post by marinade
How many productive days out of 5 did you have the first six months and first year?

Honestly out of 5, I'd say a solid 3. I don't feel that I applied myself properly in the first year, which how my supervisors allowed me to get away with is beyond me. It definitely improved after I had my first year transfer viva, where I definitely was a lot more productive. Are you looking at doing a PhD/doing one already?
Honestly out of 5, I'd say a solid 3. I don't feel that I applied myself properly in the first year, which how my supervisors allowed me to get away with is beyond me. It definitely improved after I had my first year transfer viva, where I definitely was a lot more productive. Are you looking at doing a PhD/doing one already?

I am a first year.

First two months it was a 4. Now it seems to have dropped to a 1 or 2. Odd really as in hindsight I did fine the first couple of months.
Good luck!

Do you feel you have grown academically and personally from the PhD experience?
Reply 47
Original post by CoolCavy

Merci Cavy :hugs:
Original post by marinade
I am a first year.

First two months it was a 4. Now it seems to have dropped to a 1 or 2. Odd really as in hindsight I did fine the first couple of months.

You'll find that it goes up and down throughout the PhD, and even during my write up at the moment atm, it's still going up and down :tongue: I've now found that I'm taking it a day at a time and if my supervisors seem to be happy with the work I'm doing then I'm good :smile:

If you're having any issues with productivity, maybe worth talking to them? I found I had this issue for a prolonged period of time and me talking to them definitely helped!

Original post by Palmyra
Good luck!

Do you feel you have grown academically and personally from the PhD experience?

Definitely.

How I construct argument with respects to my subject has definitely matured over the last few years. I read some of my early bits of work and I can clearly see how wrong some of the stuff I was writing was! I was also training for my brown belt (which I received last summer) for the main parts of the PhD. I think doing both together really helped me grow both as a person and as a thinker
Reply 48
Yep, I do have about 700 equations in total and a lot of code development attached, but will just give them a link as there's that much to go with the thesis!

Thank you! I was feeling very scared about it all but now I think I can do this :eek: how did you feel post submission?

Of course you can do it :biggrin:

It was a strange thing for me. In a lot of ways I was very glad to see the back of it, but in others I had this gaping hole in my week that took me a little while to get used to. I didn't have any life affirmation or euphoria haha.
Reply 49
Original post by gjd800
Of course you can do it :biggrin:

It was a strange thing for me. In a lot of ways I was very glad to see the back of it, but in others I had this gaping hole in my week that took me a little while to get used to. I didn't have any life affirmation or euphoria haha.

I feel that I'll have the same issue once I've submitted. At the moment I'm working on rewriting my lit review and a mate of mine has agreed to read it through and give comments to me on it which is super helpful. I've also received my final results chapter back from my supervisors so I plan to have it all sent to them by the end of next week. They've seen all of my chapters at least twice now with the exception of the final one and discussion so I'm hoping comments back won't be too drastic.

How on earth this period of my life has come so fast is beyond me!
What general advice would you give for anyone wanting to apply for a PhD?

What's the square root of 81?

Is this love is this love is this love is this love that I'm feeling?
Reply 51
I feel that I'll have the same issue once I've submitted. At the moment I'm working on rewriting my lit review and a mate of mine has agreed to read it through and give comments to me on it which is super helpful. I've also received my final results chapter back from my supervisors so I plan to have it all sent to them by the end of next week. They've seen all of my chapters at least twice now with the exception of the final one and discussion so I'm hoping comments back won't be too drastic.

How on earth this period of my life has come so fast is beyond me!

It's mad finishing something that is so all-consuming, a real culture shock. I started learning another language and a completely different area of philosophy to offset the gaping gaps in my days :laugh:

I wouldn't think there'd be loads to change this late in the day, just minor adjustments!

The day I submitted I sent and received about 15 emails to/from my supervisor, stupid little things like 'there's an extra space at the start of this paragraph, remove' or 'mix up the openers in the introduction'. Small, niggly things, but nothing at all important. Try not to stress too much, you're nearly done!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by gjd800
It's mad finishing something that is so all-consuming, a real culture shock. I started learning another language and a completely different area of philosophy to offset the gaping gaps in my days :laugh:

I wouldn't think there'd be loads to change this late in the day, just minor adjustments!

The day I submitted I sent and received about 15 emails to/from my supervisor, stupid little things like 'there's an extra space at the start of this paragraph, remove' or 'mix up the openers in the introduction'. Small, niggly things, but nothing at all important. Try not to stress too much, you're nearly done!

See, I already have a book on Latin that I want to start working through again, but once I've gotten over the initial "shock" of handing in, I plan to begin writing my second chapter into a paper to submit later this year. I'm also buying myself a nintendo switch. I really want one :teeth:

Quick Reply

Latest