The Student Room Group

Foundation years

I’m applying for uni through a foundation year and was wondering if you have to pay to study on the course
did you check their website?.
Original post by muttox
I’m applying for uni through a foundation year and was wondering if you have to pay to study on the course

Yes- you have to pay full fees, just like with an undergraduate course. You can get loans, but it will use up your +1 year of funding, so you won't be able to get loans if you need to retake a year later on.

I'd strongly suggest you fully research all your options before committing to a foundation year.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Yes- you have to pay full fees, just like with an undergraduate course. You can get loans, but it will use up your +1 year of funding, so you won't be able to get loans if you need to retake a year later on.

I'd strongly suggest you fully research all your options before committing to a foundation year.

Thank you for all your help
Original post by muttox

Lots of unis are offering foundation courses this year but they are not right for everyone. Do you have any other unis that you are considering that you could get into without having to do the foundation year first?
Reply 5
I don’t have Alevels so foundation is the way I’ll get in most likely
Original post by muttox
I don’t have Alevels so foundation is the way I’ll get in most likely

Fair enough, the most likely ways are the Foundation year or an Access course, but that would probably be at a local college not uni
Original post by SarcAndSpark

Wait are you saying that if we pick a uni course that has a foundation year, then we can’t used student loan to pay for our final year?😮
Original post by CollegeGirl_Pain
Wait are you saying that if we pick a uni course that has a foundation year, then we can’t used student loan to pay for our final year?😮

No! Sorry if I wasn't clear!

Basically, from SFE you get a basic entitlement to loans for "length of course" + 1 extra year. The extra year can be used to fund things like a change of mind (so you restart another degree), a retake year (if you failed your exams), or a separate foundation year. So, if you study a separate foundation year, and then also need to retake a year, you wouldn't be able to fund your retake year.

If you're studying a course with an integrated foundation year, so the length of course on UCAS is 4 years, you should still get the one extra year, though.

I hope this makes more sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending