The Student Room Group

Is G protein the same thing as GTPase?

This is what it says in my book:

11.PNG

The first bullet point doesn't make sense - it indicates that a G protein and a GTPase enzyme is the same thing. But the diagram highlights that a G protein and the GTPase are two different things.

Could someone please clear this up for me?
Reply 1
Wait I'll send from my lecture slides
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
20190812_212323-compressed.jpg.jpeg

And some pathway examples:

20190812_212349-compressed.jpg.jpeg

20190812_212405-compressed.jpg.jpeg

---------

Hope it helps!
Yeah they’re the same thing, although there are loads of different types of G-Proteins, so there might be more than one involved in any given sequence of events
Reply 4
Original post by shankar jan
This is what it says in my book:

11.PNG

The first bullet point doesn't make sense - it indicates that a G protein and a GTPase enzyme is the same thing. But the diagram highlights that a G protein and the GTPase are two different things.

Could someone please clear this up for me?

G proteins are proteins which have seven transmembrane domains (I.e. they pass through the membrane seven times) and have a GTPase domain. GTPases are proteins capable of hydrolysing GTP to GDP and inorganic phosphate. There are two major classes of G proteins - the large heterotrimeric G proteins (such as Gs, Gi and Gq) and small monomeric G proteins (such as the ras protein).

If you’re keen, Gs proteins activate adenylyl cyclase (which raises intracellular cAMP levels), Gi proteins inhibit adenylyl cyclase (which reduces intracellular cAMP levels) and Gq activated the phosphatidylinositol pathway (which increases levels of calcium in the cell).
Reply 5
Original post by Nuttyy
20190812_212323-compressed.jpg.jpeg

And some pathway examples:

20190812_212349-compressed.jpg.jpeg

20190812_212405-compressed.jpg.jpeg

---------

Hope it helps!

Thanks so much!
Reply 6
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Yeah they’re the same thing, although there are loads of different types of G-Proteins, so there might be more than one involved in any given sequence of events

Thanks so much!
Reply 7
Original post by Jpw1097
G proteins are proteins which have seven transmembrane domains (I.e. they pass through the membrane seven times) and have a GTPase domain. GTPases are proteins capable of hydrolysing GTP to GDP and inorganic phosphate. There are two major classes of G proteins - the large heterotrimeric G proteins (such as Gs, Gi and Gq) and small monomeric G proteins (such as the ras protein).

If you’re keen, Gs proteins activate adenylyl cyclase (which raises intracellular cAMP levels), Gi proteins inhibit adenylyl cyclase (which reduces intracellular cAMP levels) and Gq activated the phosphatidylinositol pathway (which increases levels of calcium in the cell).

Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending