The Student Room Group

How academically able is the following person?

How much natural intellectual ability someone who did zero revision for their GCSEs and got 2 As, a B, 2 Cs and 3 Ds has? Are they exceptional grades without any revision at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Weird question but no
Not much. GCSEs are very easy.
not that good even on no revision
Obviously that's pretty good for the two A subjects but overall it doesn't really suggest that person is exceptionally intellectual...
No.
I would say partly yes . Good grades without revision I revised 10hrs a day until it gave me a mental breakdown and involved a lot of panic attacks during exams and got 2As and 6Bs however I was happy due to the circumstances as I know I could of done better but life happens and I did what I could .

Think what I'm trying to say is everyone has different factors , lifess and also measurements of intelligence and these grades wouldn't mean someone is intellectual but wouldn't mean there not . Personal preference I suppose but very decent set of grades to be proud of with no revison for sure.
(edited 4 years ago)
No. GCSEs are piss easy, I didn't revise for Economics, English Language or Maths and got A*s.
Quite bad considering I did no revision and did better than you and I went to worst secondary school in my county
This 'zero revision' condition means nothing in itself, since one could still be putting in a huge amount of effort in lessons and homework. Also the amount of difference to someone's performance that revision makes varies drastically from person to person. Some people have better long-term memory, some better short-term. This really isn't a sensible question.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Aaryra
No. GCSEs are piss easy, I didn't revise for Economics, English Language or Maths and got A*s.

Also I don't agree with this misconception that GCSEs are 'easy'. How many people get straight A*s? I did and I would still call them very difficult. Why? Because the challenge in GCSEs is excelling a great range of different subjects simultaneously. Not acing a few of them, failing the others and then pretending like you're a genius just because of those few A*s. You can call them easy when it was even easy for you to get an A* in your weakest subject.

Anyone can put a lot of effort into their best subjects and neglect their weakest ones. That doesn't make GCSEs 'easy' in my opinion.
Original post by TimeGear
Also I don't agree with this misconception that GCSEs are 'easy'. How many people get straight A*s? I did and I would still call them very difficult. Why? Because the challenge in GCSEs is excelling a great range of different subjects simultaneously. Not acing a few of them, failing the others and then pretending like you're a genius just because of those few A*s. You can call them easy when it was even easy for you to get an A* in your weakest subject.

Anyone can put a lot of effort into their best subjects and neglect their weakest ones. That doesn't make GCSEs 'easy' in my opinion.

Agreed. It's easy to think GCSEs were easy just because of how bad A Levels are but you're misremembering if you think GCSEs involved no effort, stress, hard work and difficulty at all.

Cool, that's you though. It's not a misconception, literally everyone I know my age has said this. Even during GCSEs I wasn't necessarily worried. I did pretty good and did little revision. GCSEs aren't excelling at loads of subjects - you learn basic info and regurgitate it all.
Original post by Aaryra
Cool, that's you though. It's not a misconception, literally everyone I know my age has said this. Even during GCSEs I wasn't necessarily worried. I did pretty good and did little revision. GCSEs aren't excelling at loads of subjects - you learn basic info and regurgitate it all.

Can't call them easy if you can't get the top grade though. Doing 'pretty good' with little revision does not mean they're easy - you can't get As and then call them easy, because then why were you unable to get A*s? All the people who call them easy can't get the top grades, which is a blatant contradiction.
Original post by TheYearNiner
Quite bad considering I did no revision and did better than you and I went to worst secondary school in my county

What did you get?
I did better than OP but average for tsr standards
Original post by Walt_14
How much natural intellectual ability someone who did zero revision for their GCSEs and got 2 As, a B, 2 Cs and 3 Ds has? Are they exceptional grades without any revision at all?

GCSEs don't test your intellectual ability as such.

I'd also suggest it's unlikely that a person would do no revision at all in school- they might do nothing outside of school but the same is true for a lot of students.

I wouldn't say those results are exception, but they are not poor either, and as long as you have English and maths, they are unlikely to hold you back.
Can't call them easy if you can't get the top grade though. Doing 'pretty good' with little revision does not mean they're easy - you can't get As and then call them easy, because then why were you unable to get A*s? All the people who call them easy can't get the top grades, which is a blatant contradiction.

LOOOOOOOL I got 9A*s and 2As. The 2As were ones I did in Year 9.
Original post by Walt_14

I'd be a lot more impressed if they were all A's or mostly A's with some B's
No, they're ok grades, and the fact you didn't revise shows a lack of motivation and/or self control. I didn't revise for my GCSE's and I did much better than that, which is probably the same for a few other thousand people in the country.

Quick Reply

Latest