The Student Room Group

!!! Management at Sheffield or Lancaster

Hello,
First of all applying for management as an undergraduate .
I have a conditional offer from Warwick University. However I didn’t meet one criteria: 7.0 overall and 6.5 and no less in each part. Even tough I have taken the ielts several times and my results were all 7.0 . My writing part was the problem, got an 6.o and the others were above 7.0.
So now I am thing about either Lancaster or Sheffield even tough I really wanted Warwick.
Will Warwick still accept me? If not what university should I choose?
I don’t really know what to do right now.
Please help me!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Susana.J
Hello,
First of all applying for management.
I have a conditional offer from Warwick University. However I didn’t meet one criteria: 7.0 overall and 6.5 and no less in each part. Even tough I have taken the ielts several times and my results were all 7.0 . My writing part was the problem, got an 6.o and the others were above 7.0.
So now I am thing about either Lancaster or Sheffield even tough I really wanted Warwick.
Please help me!!!

IELTS is easy to do well enough on, but difficult for a non native speaker to pull 7.0 on.. So don't feel too bad. 6.5 is enough for a degree and Warwick is being a bit elitist here, you won't get any different kind of knowledge at either of the three universities.

Forget Warwick.

Lancaster reputation wise is slightly better (than Sheffield) but is a smaller uni, in a very secluded town far in the North.

Sheffield is more of a campus uni connected to a medium sized city.

Lancaster does have really strong ties to employers though and in general seems to take a bit more pride in their business school, as I'm sure you have noticed by the detail on the Lancaster website. Sheffield isn't really known for business, though it is seen as an OK all around Russell Group. Lancaster obviously isn't one but is pretty much treated as one.

Really it's a campus-village vs city-campus decision.
Hello,
First of all applying for management.
Please help me!!!

Are you waiting on any other results? If not, it would be a good idea to call Warwick and find out where you stand.

Do you have offers from Lancaster or Sheffield yet? If not, it would be a good idea to get the offers before worrying about where to go! I have heard good things about both unis.

If you like Warwick, you'll probably like Lancaster, as it's another newer campus uni which is a bit like a village in its own right. There's loads of bars and fun stuff to do on Campus, and Lancaster is probably a nicer town to have nearby than Coventry. It wouldn't have been for me, but I don't really like campus unis!
Reply 3
Original post by Realitysreflexx
IELTS is easy to do well enough on, but difficult for a non native speaker to pull 7.0 on.. So don't feel too bad. 6.5 is enough for a degree and Warwick is being a bit elitist here, you won't get any different kind of knowledge at either of the three universities.

Forget Warwick.

Lancaster reputation wise is slightly better (than Sheffield) but is a smaller uni, in a very secluded town far in the North.

Sheffield is more of a campus uni connected to a medium sized city.

Lancaster does have really strong ties to employers though and in general seems to take a bit more pride in their business school, as I'm sure you have noticed by the detail on the Lancaster website. Sheffield isn't really known for business, though it is seen as an OK all around Russell Group. Lancaster obviously isn't one but is pretty much treated as one.

Really it's a campus-village vs city-campus decision.

thank so much for your reply.
Today I sent Warwick an email explaining my situation ( don’t know if I should have waited until the A levels results).
What I’m looking for in a university is the teaching, the program and connections to the whole world. Also opportunities to be able to have my future path ready when I graduate through programs, events, projects, etc. so I can widen my knowledge.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Are you waiting on any other results? If not, it would be a good idea to call Warwick and find out where you stand.

Do you have offers from Lancaster or Sheffield yet? If not, it would be a good idea to get the offers before worrying about where to go! I have heard good things about both unis.

If you like Warwick, you'll probably like Lancaster, as it's another newer campus uni which is a bit like a village in its own right. There's loads of bars and fun stuff to do on Campus, and Lancaster is probably a nicer town to have nearby than Coventry. It wouldn't have been for me, but I don't really like campus unis!

thank you for your reply.
No I don’t, I’ve sent them an email. should I call them too?
About Lancaster or Sheffield right now the only possibility to apply is through clearing right?
I want a university that can open my doors to the whole world. Maybe a bigger city so I can have more opportunities. However the teaching methods and the knowledge I will receive are also very import. That why I’m so indecisive.
thank you for your reply.
No I don’t, I’ve sent them an email. should I call them too?
About Lancaster or Sheffield right now the only possibility to apply is through clearing right?
I want a university that can open my doors to the whole world. Maybe a bigger city so I can have more opportunities. However the teaching methods and the knowledge I will receive are also very import. That why I’m so indecisive.

If you don't have all your results, then there's no need to call. Warwick probably won't make a final decision until they've considered all your exam results.

Yes, you'd have to apply through clearing, but you could apply before the 15th if you had your results.

Lancaster doesn't sound like what you're after exactly, but then, neither does Warwick, if I'm honest. If you're interested in a bigger city, I'd suggest looking at Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool and Leeds as well.
Reply 6
If you don't have all your results, then there's no need to call. Warwick probably won't make a final decision until they've considered all your exam results.

Yes, you'd have to apply through clearing, but you could apply before the 15th if you had your results.

Lancaster doesn't sound like what you're after exactly, but then, neither does Warwick, if I'm honest. If you're interested in a bigger city, I'd suggest looking at Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool and Leeds as well.

there seems a little misunderstanding. I meant I am not waiting for my results. I have all needed results already.
I searched a bit and the unis you mentioned they don’t have management as a clearing course. Is it possible to apply for a related course and then transfer to management later?
there seems a little misunderstanding. I meant I am not waiting for my results. I have all needed results already.
I searched a bit and the unis you mentioned they don’t have management as a clearing course. Is it possible to apply for a related course and then transfer to management later?

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant you didn't have your results yet.

If that's the case, phone Warwick tomorrow, ask them when you'll have a decision by, and maybe reiterate how much you like Warwick and how keen you'd be to go there!

I'd also give Sheffield and Lancaster a ring now.

I wouldn't apply to a course via clearing with the intention of transferring to something else but they may advertise more courses on the 15th too.

Bristol and Cardiff have got management/business management in clearing, which might be worth a look? Bristol in particular is a city with loads of great opportunities (although it's not a cheap place to live).
Reply 8

If that's the case, phone Warwick tomorrow, ask them when you'll have a decision by, and maybe reiterate how much you like Warwick and how keen you'd be to go there!

I wouldn't apply to a course via clearing with the intention of transferring to something else but they may advertise more courses on the 15th too.

Bristol and Cardiff have got management/business management in clearing, which might be worth a look? Bristol in particular is a city with loads of great opportunities (although it's not a cheap place to live).

but does Bristol accepts 7.0 overall, 7 in listening, 8 in reading, 6 in writing and 7.5 in speaking?
what if all theses unis don’t have management in the clearing?
Reply 9

but for management what universities do you considerer the best?
Hello,
Please help me!!!

If you are so keen on Warwick, why didn't you just retake the IELTS test?
I had to retake it because I first got a 5.5 in writing and after doing it again I got a 7 in writing and an 8 overall. Sometimes you just need to practise more to get a better grade...

From what I know Lancaster is a really good uni and Sheffield is not bad at all, so if you like them and your course is in clearing you should try applying!
Reply 11
Original post by martaagc01
If you are so keen on Warwick, why didn't you just retake the IELTS test?
I had to retake it because I first got a 5.5 in writing and after doing it again I got a 7 in writing and an 8 overall. Sometimes you just need to practise more to get a better grade...

From what I know Lancaster is a really good uni and Sheffield is not bad at all, so if you like them and your course is in clearing you should try applying!

thank you for you response,
I did retake ielts several times, but still didn’t have a 6.5 and I think is because I spent to much time thinking about what to write and word to use. Since they told me I should meet the requirements by the end of this month the last one I took was last month and received my results on friday. And were I live there is no exam available so I can receive my results before the deadline.
I am thing about calling them and if I still can get in I will try applying to another uni through clearing.
The problem is what university.
Do have any recommendations for business/management?
but does Bristol accepts 7.0 overall, 7 in listening, 8 in reading, 6 in writing and 7.5 in speaking?
what if all theses unis don’t have management in the clearing?

I haven't looked at entry requirements, you'll need to do that yourself I'm afraid.

Bristol and Cardiff are listed on UCAS as having management spaces available.
Hello,
Please help me!!!

Hi Susana.j,

If you give our clearing hotline a ring on Thursday, we will be happy to have a chat and discuss your options with you.
If you are based in the UK, we do have a Clearing open day happening this Saturday, if you want to look around campus. Alternatively, we do have a Virtual Tour of campus here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/virtual-open-day/

We wish you all the best in your search!
Emma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending