The Student Room Group

English lit/lang

I want to do either English Literature or English literature and language at A level but I'm not sure which one. Would there be a possibility of doing both?
Reply 1
I know people who do both as separate and combined subjects- I do literature on its own and it's my favourite subject (so I am slightly biased haha), but I will say that its a fairly demanding subject (in year 12 I was writing 2 essays a week for homework on average) so it might be difficult to keep up with if you take both! Good Luck!
Reply 2
Yeah thanks didn't realise there was so much work! I'll probably just do one
Reply 3
I wouldn't pick Language, I regret it 100%
I do literature and I would recommend choosing it. The essays are sometimes annoying, especially in the first term, but I've improved so much and I know it's a skill I will need later on at uni. When I was making the same choice a few years ago, I was told by a few teachers that some people prefer lit to lit and lang for uni courses/people being a tad snobby?? I don't know for certain, but that's just what I was told
Reply 5
I take both subjects separately, and both have their merits. If you like the linguistic side of English more, take language. If you're more interested in analysing literature, take literature. Simples.

Original post by Ccyxxx
I wouldn't pick Language, I regret it 100%

Why? It's a brilliant subject if you like English.
Reply 6
Original post by Tolgarda
I take both subjects separately, and both have their merits. If you like the linguistic side of English more, take language. If you're more interested in analysing literature, take literature. Simples.

Why? It's a brilliant subject if you like English.

It's useless there was very little content to know, we didn't even get told how to write an essay or gave any feedback on SA's the only content was Child language Aquisition and that is mostly and better explained by psychology. Also language change which is useless, there is no need to study English language it serves no purpose in the world. Giving names to things that are obviously happening and make no difference/ are not significant doesn't make linguists intelligent. Also the marking is highly subjective. My college never told us what text books to use, every lesson was just a class discussion which is just useless we did no work, I basically taughy myself the whole subject. I have no idea what Im gonna get in English on results day but all I can rely on is my hard work. Lol I hated English (:
Reply 7
Original post by Ccyxxx
It's useless there was very little content to know, we didn't even get told how to write an essay or gave any feedback on SA's the only content was Child language Aquisition and that is mostly and better explained by psychology. Also language change which is useless, there is no need to study English language it serves no purpose in the world. Giving names to things that are obviously happening and make no difference/ are not significant doesn't make linguists intelligent. Also the marking is highly subjective. My college never told us what text books to use, every lesson was just a class discussion which is just useless we did no work, I basically taughy myself the whole subject. I have no idea what Im gonna get in English on results day but all I can rely on is my hard work. Lol I hated English (:

Why the hell did you take it then?
Reply 8
Original post by Tolgarda
Why the hell did you take it then?

I didnt know they weren't going to tell us what books we need to use or give us a rough guide& feedback on how to write an essay. I thought we would actully do work in class too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending