The Student Room Group

My current social life sucks - alcohol at uni?

Hi guys

I’m an international student, got myself a 50% scholarship at a private school in west london, went there for 2 years for a levels and I must say, my social life there sucks. Everybody was really posh and all they talked about was clubbing, holidays and booze, all of which I don’t share.

Will it be like that at uni too? Because I don’t like alcohol and I don’t drink, I drank 2 glasses of cocktails today and I felt awful. I find it really hard to just find things in common with British kids and it is just hard for me to make friends, and I fear that it’ll be the same when I go to uni this September....

And I don’t smoke and don’t do drugs as well, I was like one of those Asian stereotypes who is good at maths and like studying and shopping and that’s it.

What should I do? Should I change myself to adapt to a new culture?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

I’m an international student, got myself a 50% scholarship at a private school in west london, went there for 2 years for a levels and I must say, my social life there sucks. Everybody was really posh and all they talked about was clubbing, holidays and booze, all of which I don’t share.

Will it be like that at uni too? Because I don’t like alcohol and I don’t drink, I drank 2 glasses of cocktails today and I felt awful. I find it really hard to just find things in common with British kids and it is just hard for me to make friends, and I fear that it’ll be the same when I go to uni this September....

And I don’t smoke and don’t do drugs as well, I was like one of those Asian stereotypes who is good at maths and like studying and shopping and that’s it.

What should I do? Should I change myself to adapt to a new culture?

uni can be big on drinking but there will be people who aren't big on drinking like yourself there too. don't change for the sake of making people like you
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
uni can be big on drinking but there will be people who aren't big on drinking like yourself there too. don't change for the sake of making people like you

I knew that but I’m also quite worried that I may not be able to find those that are not interested in drinking and then I’d be just me myself and I
I knew that but I’m also quite worried that I may not be able to find those that are not interested in drinking and then I’d be just me myself and I

join a society that interest you, that will help you meet like minded people.
Reply 4
I haven't been to university yet (starting in September), but you'll be able to join in the social aspect with uni by joining societies as it's a great way to make friends apparently

There are lots of people who don’t like drinking at uni. You will meet them.

But honestly best way to make friends is through societies. Sports are great also

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending