The Student Room Group

im scared to talk on the phone

Like i forget what to say and feel like I am speaking so strange
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Like i forget what to say and feel like I am speaking so strange

Sounds like you have anxiety? But you have not given much detail. What else has been happening in your life?
Reply 2
I have social anxiety and have signed up for help. When I am on the phone is the least anxiety I get , For example the way I talk on the phone is like I am writing a letter, It is quite shocking that I can't even speak on the phone, and face to face I tell people to not talk to me because I can't talk to them. For example my cousin I had not seen for 4 years made fun of me for it and I ended up breaking his arm.
I had the exact same problem! I have social anxiety, and it has held me back for sure. But ice grown out of the phone thing. I would never ever phone someone or answer a phone. Ironically, I had to phone the mental health people and I couldn't do it so missed out on that. Words would literally not come out or I'd be sweating heart racing and my voice sound 'gay' or 'girly'.
Reply 4
Thanks for answering, I think i am going to get help from the nhs website, although it may make me feel worse
I have social anxiety and have signed up for help. When I am on the phone is the least anxiety I get , For example the way I talk on the phone is like I am writing a letter, It is quite shocking that I can't even speak on the phone, and face to face I tell people to not talk to me because I can't talk to them. For example my cousin I had not seen for 4 years made fun of me for it and I ended up breaking his arm.

I don’t want to seem like a di.ck but the fact that you broke his arm is extremely satisfying and funny. He deserved that. Practice with yourself in the mirror is what I would have said a few years ago but it really comes down to self-esteem (although it is hard for us to admit it) and how much you value yourself. You should see a professional that you trust and that can help you climb the ladder to become the confident person you are destined to be!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
thank you, i will be sure to get some sort of outside help. Also I am not gonna talk to him for ever for what he put me through
thank you, i will be sure to get some sort of outside help. Also I am not gonna talk to him for ever for what he put me through

That sounds about fair, as long as you have gotten over him. Seek help from people you can trust. Good luck buddy! Most people have been there but are too proud to admit it.

well that escalated quickly
Reply 9
Original post by cloud_9_
well that escalated quickly

well I am not going to explain the situation he put my in because I do not want to think about it again, but let me tell you I feel like I should've done more, Never in my life would I feel family could turn like that, But I shall do what makes me happy, and care for my own close family
well I am not going to explain the situation he put my in because I do not want to think about it again, but let me tell you I feel like I should've done more, Never in my life would I feel family could turn like that, But I shall do what makes me happy, and care for my own close family

u do u
Omds same girl!!! I work though and it’s an office job where I have to answer calls imagine that man. Always think it could be sooo much worse. Legit I die everyday 😩putting myself through hell hoping one day I’ll be over it
Then write... it is a lost art.
Look, being able to talk on the phone is an important skill and you are going to have to do it for many important things in life. I too don't really like talking on the phone so I can sympathise. The only solution to this problem is practice and more practice. Call your friends and play different roles. Begin it with someone you trust and build it up from there. If I am honest, I think a lot of people don't like talking on the phone. However, some have intense fears, like you and like I used to. The one thing that helped me was just doing it more and realising that as we grow older, we will have to become a little more resilient.
Reply 14

Do try to control your actions though. You could try CBT to support you and counselling.
I`m also anxiety while talking to strangers or boss. But I try to overcome it, now it`s better.
Are you boy or girl? How old are you?

Quick Reply

Latest