The Student Room Group

How many hours a week is a foundation course?

How many hours a week is a foundation course typically? Im going to be studying health professions at uwe and I've been approved for a loan but only for £4000 and the rent for halls ranges from £5000 and upwards.

I'm 23 and have applied for an independamt loan but I'm panicking in case I don't get accepted. I have no savings and no parents/partner I can financially rely on. I also have a number of bills.

I'm more than happy to work along side studying but I also wanted to spend 1 day a week volunteering to help with my degree.

So does anyone have a rough idea of how many hours this course would be and how many hours I would need to study a week? I know all answers will be varied.

Thank you.
Original post by Nikki1996O
How many hours a week is a foundation course typically? Im going to be studying health professions at uwe and I've been approved for a loan but only for £4000 and the rent for halls ranges from £5000 and upwards.

I'm 23 and have applied for an independamt loan but I'm panicking in case I don't get accepted. I have no savings and no parents/partner I can financially rely on. I also have a number of bills.

I'm more than happy to work along side studying but I also wanted to spend 1 day a week volunteering to help with my degree.

So does anyone have a rough idea of how many hours this course would be and how many hours I would need to study a week? I know all answers will be varied.

Thank you.

Did you consider doing an access to he course instead?
Is the loan final or provisional? Have they had all the evidence and how much have your parents declared as income (roughly)?
They should be able to tell you how many hours or ask to be put in touch with a student who did one.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Did you consider doing an access to he course instead?
Is the loan final or provisional? Have they had all the evidence and how much have your parents declared as income (roughly)?
They should be able to tell you how many hours or ask to be put in touch with a student who did one.

Thank you for answering! So I sent away for a standard loan before I knew about independant finance so I'm waiting to hear back if I will be approved for that. I've only got my mum but she isn't working at the moment. I think I might ring the uni and ask them about hours tbh.

If I don't get approved for independant loan is there a way they can reassess how much my loan would be? Thank you
Thank you for answering! So I sent away for a standard loan before I knew about independant finance so I'm waiting to hear back if I will be approved for that. I've only got my mum but she isn't working at the moment. I think I might ring the uni and ask them about hours tbh.

If I don't get approved for independant loan is there a way they can reassess how much my loan would be? Thank you

Independent finance is for where you live alone, have a child or are over 25 and other situations.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Reply 4
Independent finance is for where you live alone, have a child or are over 25 and other situations.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

It's also if you have been supporting yourself financially for the past 36 months :smile:
It's also if you have been supporting yourself financially for the past 36 months :smile:

That is why I said other situations. If you dont explain yourself fully and provide all relevant details then I wont always explain every situation in detail.
Reply 6
That is why I said other situations. If you dont explain yourself fully and provide all relevant details then I wont always explain every situation in detail.

Thanks for the reply hun but I wasn't asking about independent finance. I provided information that was relevant to my questions😊
Thanks for the reply hun but I wasn't asking about independent finance. I provided information that was relevant to my questions😊

You decided to pick me up on it because I hadnt written every variation out.
If you got the independent status confirmed then you would have had less to worry about which three days ago I was happy top help with, but never mind. Presumably you just rang UWE for a timetable and they gave you estimated hours. GL.
Reply 8
If your mum isnt working wouldnt you get a full loan regardless of independent status?
Foundation course contact hours vary a lot from university to university and from course to course. This is paritcularly true for foundation years where you are allowed to choose options, as some combinations may have more contact hours than others (or be spread over more days).

For example, Southampton has two foundation years, the science foundation year and the engineering/physics foundation year. When I did the SFY, we were in for 3 days a week, for about 6 hours a day plus lunch/break periods (about 7 hours a day on average - one day finished about an hour earlier usually). The engineering foundation year, as I was told, were in for 5 days a week, 9-5 every day however.

I would suggest contacting the university in question to enquire, as only they can really advise.

Quick Reply

Latest