The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
Perhaps we should ask the DVSA to make it mandatory that in a driving test every learner crash into a tree and run over a child, just so they can "learn a lesson" and "not do it again"?

Original post by RoyalSheepy
I've got an idea boys... Let's ignore red lights from now on, your logic seems much better than the highway code's.

Right I’m sorry but you’ve now taken this way out of control. It’s unfair for the OP to now have to see stupidity being posted on their thread.

I think everyone would agree you should not run red lights, that’s fact. Yes people do it every day, new drivers or not, and honestly some can be questioned whether they are actually jumping a red light or not.

Just leave it now. It shouldn’t have happened, but it did. Nobody was hurt, and it was a learning point for the OP.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by JackMoseley
Right I’m sorry but you’ve now taken this way out of control. It’s unfair for the OP to now have to see stupidity being posted on their thread.

I think everyone would agree you should not run read lights, that’s fact. Yes people do it every day, new drivers or not, and honestly some can be questioned whether they are actually jumping a red light or not.

Just leave it now. It shouldn’t have happened, but it did. Nobody was hurt, and it was a learning point for the OP.

See above regarding my idea for the new driving test to include mandatory crashing into trees and running over children - perhaps you could start the petition?

If it teaches them a lesson!!!!!

No one got hurt, but someone could have been killed. It's completely inexcusable, and to post about it with the sole concern being "did I get caught" is disgusting.

Side note: what's a "read light"?
Original post by IWMTom
No, but you did imply that a new driver may be excused for failing to notice a big bright red light because they're "under pressure".

Do you see the irony yet?

I simply highlighted the fact that novel drivers tend to make these kind of mistakes and explained why. Experienced drivers have also committed many of these mistakes when they were just starting. My point is that you shouldn’t be so harsh with OP just because of that, everyone makes mistakes when starting.

I again ask for you to stop twisting my words just to complement your argument. Appreciate it.
Uh oh, google Bengali doesn’t work for me
Original post by IWMTom
See above regarding my idea for the new driving test to include mandatory crashing into trees and running over children - perhaps you could start the petition?

No one got hurt, but someone could have been killed. It's completely inexcusable, and to post about it with the sole concern being "did I get caught" is disgusting.

If someone got hurt, do you really think I’d be posting on the student room? Hahahaha get some common sense ! It is obvious nobody got hurt, otherwise I would not be sat here typing this right now.
Original post by IWMTom

I can’t be bothered to argue at this point. I’ve updated my spelling mistake that my phone had autocorrected.
Reply 26
Original post by Ashleighxoxo
If someone got hurt, do you really think I’d be posting on the student room? Hahahaha get some common sense ! It is obvious nobody got hurt, otherwise I would not be sat here typing this right now.

Looks like you didn't read the post you replied to in the slightest...

Original post by Ivan_Andru
I simply highlighted the fact that novel drivers tend to make these kind of mistakes and explained why. Experienced drivers have also committed many of these mistakes when they were just starting. My point is that you shouldn’t be so harsh with OP just because of that, everyone makes mistakes when starting.

I again ask for you to stop twisting my words just to complement your argument. Appreciate it.

If the OP is going to be foolish enough as to drive through a red light and then post of a public bulletin board about it, they deserve all the responses thusfar.

Again, it was not a mistake, it was a disgusting, dangerous, and life threatening decision.
Reply 27
Original post by JackMoseley
I can’t be bothered to argue at this point. I’ve updated my spelling mistake that my phone had autocorrected.

Good for you. Try not to drive through any read lights.
Original post by IWMTom
If the OP is going to be foolish enough as to drive through a red light and then post of a public bulletin board about it, they deserve all the responses thusfar.

Again, it was not a mistake, it was a disgusting, dangerous, and life threatening decision.

I respect your take on this but disagree with your general view of drivers, both experienced and inexperienced. If I may ask, do you have some grudge towards driving/drivers in general? You seem pretty worked up about this. If you do not wish to answer because of personal reasons, please don’t.
Reply 29
I respect your take on this but disagree with your general view of drivers, both experienced and inexperienced. If I may ask, do you have some grudge towards driving/drivers in general? You seem pretty worked up about this. If you do not wish to answer because of personal reasons, please don’t.

Nope. Just find the audacity of the OP quite shocking to the point of believing they're a troll, especially given they posted another thread questioning whether a portable work light was a red light camera and they only joined the site today....

If you pass your test, it means you have been deemed a safe driver in the eyes of the DVSA. To show such a flagrant disregard for the safety of not only ones self but the safety of all other road users is not something that should be excused or chalked up to inexperience.

OP made a conscious decision to drive through the red light just the same as they made the conscious decision to post this thread. What did they expect?

I truly hope there was a red light camera at the junction in question; perhaps the points on their driving licence would teach them a real lesson. Unfortunately for everyone else on the road, it's rare outside of Central London for junctions to be camera controlled.
Original post by IWMTom
Nope. Just find the audacity of the OP quite shocking to the point of believing they're a troll, especially given they posted another thread questioning whether a portable work light was a red light camera and they only joined the site today....

If you pass your test, it means you have been deemed a safe driver in the eyes of the DVSA. To show such a flagrant disregard for the safety of not only ones self but the safety of all other road users is not something that should be excused or chalked up to inexperience.

OP made a conscious decision to drive through the red light just the same as they made the conscious decision to post this thread. What did they expect?

I truly hope there was a red light camera at the junction in question; perhaps the points on their driving licence would teach them a real lesson. Unfortunately for everyone else on the road, it's rare outside of Central London for junctions to be camera controlled.

Hello again. It would definitely be a bummer if OP was a troll. It is fair that drivers who do make such mistakes get punished, but being so radical towards OP because he missed a light isn’t the correct approach.
Reply 31
Hello again. It would definitely be a bummer if OP was a troll. It is fair that drivers who do make such mistakes get punished, but being so radical towards OP because he missed a light isn’t the correct approach.

Think you may have misgendered the OP there pal.
Original post by IWMTom
Think you may have misgendered the OP there pal.

I do not know of which gender OP is, so decided to assign a standard “he” instead of an unattached “it”. Sorry if I hurt your feeling in any way OP.

Thank you for your constructive response IWM Tom.
That is quite inconsiderate from you, then. I do not know if you have ever driven a car but most drivers that just got their license are often under a lot of pressure and tend to miss some signs an experienced driver wouldn’t. Also, adding on to this pre-existing pressure is the fact that experienced drivers tend to “bully” new ones, although they have all been in their place. It is a constant battle of power between humans.

Honestly ignore him he's stuck up his own ass I literally don't even bother reading what he types, I see his name and skip past. He's not even good at trolling despite his many attempts.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by J0n3zviper
Honestly ignore him he's stuck up his own ass I literally don't even bother reading what he types, I see his name and skip past. He's not even good at trolling despite his many attempts.

I see, thank you for your advice.

For the record, are you referring to OP or to the person I was replying to?
Reply 35
I do not know of which gender OP is, so decided to assign a standard “he” instead of an unattached “it”. Sorry if I hurt your feeling in any way OP.

Thank you for your constructive response IWM Tom.

It was a joke. You're supposed to chuckle.

Here's another example of a joke.
That is noted, I will chuckle next time!
(edited 4 years ago)
I see, thank you for your advice.

For the record, are you referring to OP or to the person I was replying to?

The bot you are pointlessly replying to.
Reply 38
That is noted, I will chuckle next time!

Good lad :laugh:
Reply 39
The bot you are pointlessly replying to.

*insert mechanical whirring noise here*

Latest