The Student Room Group

Parents worried for me to go university in midlands

I'm from a country side and here heres not much crime or gangs and I'm going to uni in west Midlands where there is a lot of crime and gangs and my parents are worried I'll be involved or attacked etc.

How do I make them feel better?
Reply 1
What Uni are you going to attend? Is tbis really that bad?
Reply 2
Original post by EleaGR
What Uni are you going to attend? Is tbis really that bad?

From the media and all the stabbings etc they are scared and think I'll be involved
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
From the media and all the stabbings etc they are scared and think I'll be involved

Is it Warwick? I’ve heard Coventry’s got a high crime rate. If it is Warwick though it’s a campus uni so it’s not like you’ll be living in the centre of Coventry.
Reply 4
Original post by ta225
Is it Warwick? I’ve heard Coventry’s got a high crime rate. If it is Warwick though it’s a campus uni so it’s not like you’ll be living in the centre of Coventry.

Birmingham city
Hey,

Coming from the countryside you'll soon realise it's a lot different. There's crime in every city and the West Midlands does have a lot of knife crime etc from what I've heard but so does London for example.

Either way I think you need to adjust to your university and you'll be fine. Don't go out late or travel too far since you are in a completely different place.

Wish you the best :smile:
I'd be more worried about the accent :s-smilie:

(tbh wouldn't be too worried, usually have good/bad areas like all cities, and security arrangements in accomodations)
Reply 7
Birmingham city

Is it Birmingham she doesn’t like or is it the midlands in general? I don’t think Birmingham is that dangerous but I’ve never been myself
I'm from a country side and here heres not much crime or gangs and I'm going to uni in west Midlands where there is a lot of crime and gangs and my parents are worried I'll be involved or attacked etc.

How do I make them feel better?

As with any location, if you keep your wits about you, you'll most likely be fine. I assume you're a responsible person at home - just tell your parents you're a grown person now and can look after yourself.
birmingham isnt a bad area, just make sure you're not alone at night.
This is the problem living in the country... It doesn't prepare you for the reality of city life.
Reply 11
I understand. I'm a parent too. My daughter just finished her 1st year in Imperial and London is a city where anything can happen. On top of everything there's terrorist attacks. But you can't live your life in a cage. We, as parents need to set you free and let you live your life. You just need to follow some simple rules. eg. Don't get completely wasted when you're going out. Never walk home alone in the middle of the night. Pick your friends wisely. These are some of the things my daughter and I have discussed and agreed. I can't be sure she is following everything, but I need to trust her. After all I can't keep holding her hand any more....
I hope this helps a bit! 😊
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks so from what I've gathered: dont walk alone,

Dont walk late at night,

Pick good friends and be cautious

Thanks everyone
Original post by J0n3zviper
This is the problem living in the country... It doesn't prepare you for the reality of city life.

I did not have any choice as it's where my parents chose to bring me up
Original post by ta225

Lived in Coventry all my life 20 years only problem I have had is one robbery and a few chavs trying to act hard. It really isn't that bad as long as you are sensible like in any city and don't actively get involved in crime/ hang around the wrong people in wrong areas.
I did not have any choice as it's where my parents chose to bring me up

Aslong as you're not easily intimidated you will be fine, just don't go round looking at people to hard. West Midlands is full of roadmen who have nothing to lose.
Original post by J0n3zviper

Just like private school ..... It doesn't prepare you for the reality of life imo (unless you have very wealthy parents, good contacts and never have to worry about being unemployed, having no money etc)
And they'll have to put up with the accent too!
Just be smart and realistic. Also if someone blackmails, threatens you, or gives you an offer to make "quick/easy" money do not give them your passport,licence,birth certificate, bank details and do not open a bank account for them. I thought this was common sense but there's been a few people posting about being in situations like these recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending