The Student Room Group

is It still worth pursuing medicine

Hi guys I just got my igcse results and they aren’t really good . I was wondering if it’s even worth doing medicine at this point . I got
History -A*
Geography -A
English Language -A
English literature -A
Business -A
Biology -A
Spanish -A
Chemistry -B
Maths -C
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That maths will bring you down a fair bit :redface:. Any way you could resit maths and bring it up to atleast a B?

The entry requirements for most unis require a B (or even A) in English and Maths.
Original post by Nuttyy
That maths will bring you down a fair bit :redface:. Any way you could resit maths and bring it up to atleast a B?

The entry requirements for most unis require a B (or even A) in English and Maths.

Do you also think that the B in Chemistry may disadvantage OP?
Original post by Quick-use

Yeah I was also thinking that. so would I have to Resit math and chemistry
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4

It could, but just checking UoM requirements, it doesnt specifically ask for Chem to be at an A.

Screenshot_20190813-121626_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Reply 5
Original post by Goldengirl2002
Yeah I was also thinking that. so would I have to Resit math and chemistry

Your B in chemistry is only an issue if applying for med schools that score GCSEs, as most of those will include chemistry (as well as Biology, Maths and English), but your GCSE results are fine overall for all med school's minimum requirements (except Bristol) if you can increase your maths to a B/6. Then you will need a good UCAT when the time comes to allow strategic application to places that will not care about your GCSEs
(edited 4 years ago)
Following on from the above,
you won't need to re-sit chem (at least I wouldn't think so) as you should be taking it to A-level- you will need to get an A in that though
Original post by AzureCeleste
Following on from the above,
you won't need to re-sit chem (at least I wouldn't think so) as you should be taking it to A-level- you will need to get an A in that though

I’m actually doing IB instead of A levels

Same advice applies, you'll need to do HL Chemistry and get a 7 (or maybe a 6). Some medical schools might accept SL chemistry with HL Biology, but they will probably expect a second HL science/maths subject, which due to the structure of IB means you'd need to take HL Maths (which I wouldn't recommend in your case). I highly doubt they would consider ESS an acceptable second science subject at HL.
(edited 4 years ago)

Would you be able to take A levels instead of the IB? I think it's generally easier to get better grades on A levels than it is on the IB.
Original post by artful_lounger
Same advice applies, you'll need to do HL Chemistry and get a 7 (or maybe a 6). Some medical schools might accept SL chemistry with HL Biology, but they will probably expect a second HL science/maths subject, which due to the structure of IB means you'd need to take HL Maths (which I wouldn't recommend in your case). I highly doubt they would consider ESS an acceptable second science subject at HL.

I actually took HL bio,chem and geography and SL maths (AI),Spanish and English( language and literature )
Would you be able to take A levels instead of the IB? I think it's generally easier to get better grades on A levels than it is on the IB.

The thing is I go to an international school in the Middle East and right now they only offer IB😕
The thing is I go to an international school in the Middle East and right now they only offer IB😕

Ah, I understand. In that case, do your best and good luck! :fluffy:
Hi guys I just got my igcse results and they aren’t really good . I was wondering if it’s even worth doing medicine at this point . I got
History -A*
Geography -A
English Language -A
English literature -A
Business -A
Biology -A
Spanish -A
Chemistry -B
Maths -C

Great set of results! I have to agree math was a little difficult this year :/
Original post by Nuttyy

Also do universities even accept resits ?
Also do universities even accept resits ?

For GCSE stuff, quite a few do (I don't want to say all in case), but you'd be resitting maths or english normally
You just need a 7 (maybe a 6) at HL bio and chem
Reply 16
Original post by AzureCeleste
For GCSE stuff, quite a few do (I don't want to say all in case), but you'd be resitting maths or english normally
You just need a 7 (maybe a 6) at HL bio and chem

If you've done the resits for the GCSEs and got your results by the time you apply then I don't see how they would even know it was a resit. On your ucas application, from what I remember, you just put the grades in. Even if you do have to put the dates in, I doubt Unis would care. Resits matter about A level where the top end unis and top courses might not allow it. That's something you'll have to research on each university's website.
Reply 17
Original post by Nuttyy
If you've done the resits for the GCSEs and got your results by the time you apply then I don't see how they would even know it was a resit. On your ucas application, from what I remember, you just put the grades in. Even if you do have to put the dates in, I doubt Unis would care. Resits matter about A level where the top end unis and top courses might not allow it. That's something you'll have to research on each university's website.

They would know as you must declare all exam results on UCAS so any resits would show twice. Some care about GCSE resits, some do not.
There are no top end unis where medicine is concerned, they are all considered equal and each uni sets its own resit policy
Reply 18
I'd say don't bother, medicine is too hard anyway just do another different health science course like optometry or paramedic or.... whatever
Original post by Nuttyy

You need to put down all results- including resits. It will be on your statement, so yes they do know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending