The Student Room Group

Clearing

On results day can i ring up and ask a university that is offering a clearing course if they will accept me through clearing without rejecting my offers (if I get any) from my firm and insurance. I want to see if they would accept me through clearing BEFORE I decided to reject my offers.

Thanks!
You can try calling them to see if they'd be likely to accept you but I don't think they can offer you a place if you're not in clearing yet.
Yes they can't actually offer you a place if you're not in Clearing yet (they need your Clearing number to offer you a place) but they may be willing to give you a verbal offer dependent on you actually having the grades you are saying you have over the phone. So it's worth a phone call before rejecting any offers you hold
They may do but you cant guarantee it as they may want to see parts of your application before confirming the offer- if it's a uni you already applied to they will have that info already, so that is more likely.

No harm in trying first tho
Original post by morningstar461
You can try calling them to see if they'd be likely to accept you but I don't think they can offer you a place if you're not in clearing yet.

But can they say that they WOULD offer me a place once I’ve rejected my offers?
Original post by Interrobang
They may do but you cant guarantee it as they may want to see parts of your application before confirming the offer- if it's a uni you already applied to they will have that info already, so that is more likely.

No harm in trying first tho

So you can apply for unis through clearing that rejected you when you first applied and they will be willing to accept you on their course, knowing that they had previously rejected me?
Original post by lilymaidment
So you can apply for unis through clearing that rejected you when you first applied and they will be willing to accept you on their course, knowing that they had previously rejected me?

In theory potentially but unis don't have to accept anyone through clearing and not all courses will be available anyway
In theory potentially but unis don't have to accept anyone through clearing and not all courses will be available anyway

Is it worth calling up universities to see if you would get into their course if you were one grade away from their requirements?
Is it worth calling up universities to see if you would get into their course if you were one grade away from their requirements?

If they weren't your insurance and they didn't reject you then it's always worth checking. Worst they can say is no
If they weren't your insurance and they didn't reject you then it's always worth checking. Worst they can say is no

Can I ring up universities that were either my firm or insurance (given that I missed the grades) that aren’t on clearing, just to see if I can try persuade to get on the course?
Am I able to call up my uni or uni I haven’t applied to through clearing with a change of subject
Original post by Sophiyaxox
Am I able to call up my uni or uni I haven’t applied to through clearing with a change of subject

Yes, I would wait for tomorrow now (when you will know your results) - you can phone your uni and ask to change subjects. This may be possible if the new subject is in Clearing.

If they say no, you could ask your Insurance uni and then consider other unis in Clearing. But it's a big decision to self release into Clearing, so let's see how you get on with talking to your Firm choice uni first.
Ok ive got loads of questions and hope somebody could help me out:frown: Where exactly should I call for clearing? Is it university admission team on each uni’s website? And I really got confused on clearing steps.. can anyone check if the steps that I have understood is right or not?
So when I get my results and if I need to go on clearing should I look up unis that I could apply through clearing and call the unis to make sure if theres any vacancies. Then I need to add the clearing choice on my UCAS and wait till the university confirms. Is it right? :frown: please help me out
Original post by harrysbar
Yes, I would wait for tomorrow now (when you will know your results) - you can phone your uni and ask to change subjects. This may be possible if the new subject is in Clearing.

If they say no, you could ask your Insurance uni and then consider other unis in Clearing. But it's a big decision to self release into Clearing, so let's see how you get on with talking to your Firm choice uni first.

The problem is my firm choice and insurance choice does not do the course I now want to do so does that mean I have to go through clearing
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Renacchi
Ok ive got loads of questions and hope somebody could help me out:frown: Where exactly should I call for clearing? Is it university admission team on each uni’s website? And I really got confused on clearing steps.. can anyone check if the steps that I have understood is right or not?
So when I get my results and if I need to go on clearing should I look up unis that I could apply through clearing and call the unis to make sure if theres any vacancies. Then I need to add the clearing choice on my UCAS and wait till the university confirms. Is it right? :frown: please help me out

Go on to each uni website and it will have a special Clearing telephone number prominantly displayed - the unis in Clearing will be advertising the number all over the place tomorrow. Check with us if any issues.

Your steps are right, although you don't need to wait until tomorrow to draw up a shortlist of unis with vacancies in your subject that interest you - the information is already available, just not the grades they want.

Once you know your grades tomorrow (and if you get rejected from your Firm and Insurance), you can start phoning round other unis to make sure they still have vacancies and will consider someone with your grades. A uni will make you a verbal offer but they can't make it certain until they have seen your UCAS form, so once you have spoken to a few unis and found the best one for you, add that choice to your Clearing form and wait for the uni to confirm it.
Original post by Sophiyaxox
The problem is my firm choice does not do the course I now want to do

Ah.....what about your Insurance?
Original post by harrysbar
Ah.....what about your Insurance?

They don’t do it
Can I ring up universities that were either my firm or insurance (given that I missed the grades) that aren’t on clearing, just to see if I can try persuade to get on the course?

They will have already considered you based on the grades that you received, so there's no point I'm afraid
Reply 18
Has anyone here already gone through clearing? How did you find the experience? Were you able to find accommodation easily still? Did it make you have to change your course completely?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending