The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Clearing/adjustment vacancies 2019 - University of Exeter

Our vacancies for Clearing/Adjustment are now advertised on our Clearing pages. We will be updating our vacancies throughout the Clearing period and expect there to be significant changes ahead of the release of A level results on 15 August, so please keep checking in.

If you already know your results you can apply for a course now. For all students awaiting their results, our Clearing Helpline will open at 07:00 on the 15th and we will be happy to take your call.

Whilst our website will have the most up to date information, if you can't find the answers to your questions about courses or vacancies at Exeter feel free to post in this thread.
Karen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Uni of Exeter
Our vacancies for Clearing/Adjustment are now advertised on our Clearing pages. We will be updating our vacancies throughout the Clearing period and expect there to be significant changes ahead of the release of A level results on 15 August, so please keep checking in.

If you already know your results you can apply for a course now. For all students awaiting their results, our Clearing Helpline will open at 07:00 on the 15th and we will be happy to take your call.

Whilst our website will have the most up to date information, if you can't find the answers to your questions about courses or vacancies at Exeter feel free to post in this thread.
Karen

Thanks. Will we be likely to hear whether or not we have met conditions for our conditional offer on 15th via an early morning email from Exeter Uni., or will we have to wait til TRAC updates or until we receive A level results later that morning from school?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by Bumble10
Thanks. Will we be likely to hear whether or not we have met conditions for our conditional offer on 15th via an early morning email from Exeter Uni., or will we have to wait til TRAC updates or until we receive A level results later that morning from school?

Hi. The earliest you will know something on the 15th is through TRAC. I am told that the confirmation of a place at your firm or insurance choice or a release into Clearing will be available on that system from 06:00. We have scheduled a congratulatory email to all successful offer-holders at around 07:00.
However please know that TRAC does not give you your grades so you will still have to go to / contact your school to hear those.
Good luck for Thursday!
Karen
Hi. The earliest you will know something on the 15th is through TRAC. I am told that the confirmation of a place at your firm or insurance choice or a release into Clearing will be available on that system from 06:00. We have scheduled a congratulatory email to all successful offer-holders at around 07:00.
However please know that TRAC does not give you your grades so you will still have to go to / contact your school to hear those.
Good luck for Thursday!
Karen

Hi, I'm interested in studying a course at Exeter university through clearing, however I'm worried that I will miss out on the chance as my school only gives out results at 9 am on the 15th whereas many schools give them from 6 am onwards so places will already be taken. Is there anything that can done about this? Thanks
Original post by nadeemharis410
Hi, I'm interested in studying a course at Exeter university through clearing, however I'm worried that I will miss out on the chance as my school only gives out results at 9 am on the 15th whereas many schools give them from 6 am onwards so places will already be taken. Is there anything that can done about this? Thanks

Hi. Don't worry 09:00 is still really early! Make sure that you know what course you want to study and as soon as you have your results go to our website http://www.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/ . There you will find all the up to date clearing information, courses available with grades required etc. If your chosen course is there and you meet those requirements, you can fill in the on-line application form immediately from the website. All enquiries for places through clearing will be submitted through this form.
If you have any further questions you are welcome to call the Clearing hotline 0300 555 60 60 but you will need to know your results.
Being prepared is the best course of action.
Good luck
Karen
Reply 5
Hi,
I have a conditional offer for Exeter, but I think one of my exams went really badly and I’m worried I’ve not met my grades.
On your website it says We will automatically consider existing offer holders for an Alternative Offer if we are unable to confirm your existing offer”. What does that mean exactly?
Can I still apply for other clearing places on other courses at Exeter through clearing and do you recommend calling the hotline before applying online?
Lastly, what happens to my guarantee of accommodation if I don’t get my original place, do I need to reapply? My course is based at Penryn.
Sorry! I’ve been awake most of the night with all this running around my mind .
Thanks.
Original post by SazQ
Hi,
I have a conditional offer for Exeter, but I think one of my exams went really badly and I’m worried I’ve not met my grades.
On your website it says We will automatically consider existing offer holders for an Alternative Offer if we are unable to confirm your existing offer”. What does that mean exactly?
Can I still apply for other clearing places on other courses at Exeter through clearing and do you recommend calling the hotline before applying online?
Lastly, what happens to my guarantee of accommodation if I don’t get my original place, do I need to reapply? My course is based at Penryn.
Sorry! I’ve been awake most of the night with all this running around my mind .
Thanks.

Hello.

Sorry to hear that you have been worrying about results and clearing. Hopefully I can ease your mind a little bit before tomorrow. It is a bit of an essay but I wanted to be as thorough as possible!

When we say We will automatically consider existing offer holders for an Alternative Offer if we are unable to confirm your existing offer” what we mean is we go through and check whether students have met their offer and if a student misses their offer we will look to see if we can still offer a place on the same course or a similar course. This will be looked at on a case by case basis and can vary from course to course and year on year dependant on how many places are remaining on the course once we have looked at all the results.

If you are unsuccessful in gaining your place at Exeter you are able to apply for other courses in clearing, either with us or a different institution. All the grade requirements for our courses in clearing will be listed alongside the programmes, so you know what we are looking for. We will be very happy to answer questions that you might have tomorrow on our helpline, but it is worth knowing that this year we will only accept applications through clearing on our online form (https://www.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/). Depending on what questions you have, and whether or not there are phone queues first thing, it might be worth applying through clearing first. If you have any questions which may impact your decision to apply through clearing then please do speak to us first and we will be very happy to help. If you have any time today and are still worried I would recommend our course webpages (https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/) as a great way to look up other courses that you might consider if they become available through clearing tomorrow morning. It might help take you mind off the wait and there is no harm in having a back-up plan! The phone lines will open at 7am and the clearing form should go live at around this time too.

As for your accommodation query there is university managed accommodation available to students applying through clearing. Accommodation is allocated once students have an offer so I would recommend giving accommodation a call tomorrow when you have a better idea of your situation so that they can help you and advise what you need to do next. If you do go through clearing accommodation cannot allocate a room until they know you definitely have a place but everyone will be working as quickly as they can to make the wait as short as possible.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please get in touch. Good luck for tomorrow!

Melody
Reply 7
Hello.

Sorry to hear that you have been worrying about results and clearing. Hopefully I can ease your mind a little bit before tomorrow. It is a bit of an essay but I wanted to be as thorough as possible!

When we say We will automatically consider existing offer holders for an Alternative Offer if we are unable to confirm your existing offer” what we mean is we go through and check whether students have met their offer and if a student misses their offer we will look to see if we can still offer a place on the same course or a similar course. This will be looked at on a case by case basis and can vary from course to course and year on year dependant on how many places are remaining on the course once we have looked at all the results.

If you are unsuccessful in gaining your place at Exeter you are able to apply for other courses in clearing, either with us or a different institution. All the grade requirements for our courses in clearing will be listed alongside the programmes, so you know what we are looking for. We will be very happy to answer questions that you might have tomorrow on our helpline, but it is worth knowing that this year we will only accept applications through clearing on our online form (https://www.exeter.ac.uk/clearing/). Depending on what questions you have, and whether or not there are phone queues first thing, it might be worth applying through clearing first. If you have any questions which may impact your decision to apply through clearing then please do speak to us first and we will be very happy to help. If you have any time today and are still worried I would recommend our course webpages (https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/) as a great way to look up other courses that you might consider if they become available through clearing tomorrow morning. It might help take you mind off the wait and there is no harm in having a back-up plan! The phone lines will open at 7am and the clearing form should go live at around this time too.

As for your accommodation query there is university managed accommodation available to students applying through clearing. Accommodation is allocated once students have an offer so I would recommend giving accommodation a call tomorrow when you have a better idea of your situation so that they can help you and advise what you need to do next. If you do go through clearing accommodation cannot allocate a room until they know you definitely have a place but everyone will be working as quickly as they can to make the wait as short as possible.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please get in touch. Good luck for tomorrow!

Melody

Thanks Melody, that’s really helpful.
Just one further thing; are clearing places online offered solely on grades or does your personal statement and reference hold any sway? I’m assuming that the admissions/clearing department will already have access to this if you are an offer holder ? Roll on tomorrow morning.....
Original post by SazQ
Thanks Melody, that’s really helpful.
Just one further thing; are clearing places online offered solely on grades or does your personal statement and reference hold any sway? I’m assuming that the admissions/clearing department will already have access to this if you are an offer holder ? Roll on tomorrow morning.....

Good question! We only ask for your exam results in the clearing application form so use these to make our decision. To speed things along if you do go through clearing make sure you have your GCSE results and any other qualifications that have tariff points to hand to help you complete the form. You are correct that we will still have access to your original application but we shouldn't need it as we ask for everything we need in the clearing form.

I hope that this all ends up being hypothetical but if not this will all help you be as prepared as you can for tomorrow morning! I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry too much -you've got this!

Melody
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Good question! We only ask for your exam results in the clearing application form so use these to make our decision. To speed things along if you do go through clearing make sure you have your GCSE results and any other qualifications that have tariff points to hand to help you complete the form. You are correct that we will still have access to your original application but we shouldn't need it as we ask for everything we need in the clearing form.

I hope that this all ends up being hypothetical but if not this will all help you be as prepared as you can for tomorrow morning! I know it is easier said than done but try not to worry too much -you've got this!

Melody

Hi Melody,
I also have a question about applying to Exeter University 2019. I have seen on clearing the course BSc Psychology and already have my results as I have an IB with 36 points which meets the requirement for the course. Can I talk to someone about applying today or on-line or do I need to wait till tomorrow for clearing.
Regards
Ross
So just as a reminder before results day tomorrow...

For a list of all of the courses available in clearing take a look at our clearing webpages. This will be updated throughout the day so will have the most up to date information. If you have any questions the quickest way to get in touch with us is through the clearing helpline, 7am-8pm (0300 555 6060 or +44 (0)1392 723044 from overseas). However, as always we are here to help and will respond to questions on this thread and elsewhere on The Student Room when we get a chance!

Good luck to you all!

Melody and Karen
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JulieCoid
Hi Melody,
I also have a question about applying to Exeter University 2019. I have seen on clearing the course BSc Psychology and already have my results as I have an IB with 36 points which meets the requirement for the course. Can I talk to someone about applying today or on-line or do I need to wait till tomorrow for clearing.
Regards
Ross

Great to hear from you Ross. Unfortunately now that it is so close to results day you will have to wait until tomorrow morning to apply and speak to the clearing team (they are currently making sure that everything is in place for tomorrow morning). In the morning the list of available courses will be refreshed and the clearing application form will go live. If you go back on to our clearing webpage at approx. 7am tomorrow you will then be able to access the form and apply. If you have questions linked to the application process at this time our clearing helpline will be able to help as you complete it.

In preparation for tomorrow morning make sure you have your GCSE results to hand in addition to your IB results as you will need to include all of these on the clearing application. Psychology does require you to have a higher level science and GCSE Maths and English Language so make sure that these are all definitely included.

Let me know if you have any other questions before tomorrow morning and where I can I will help!

Melody
Great to hear from you Ross. Unfortunately now that it is so close to results day you will have to wait until tomorrow morning to apply and speak to the clearing team (they are currently making sure that everything is in place for tomorrow morning). In the morning the list of available courses will be refreshed and the clearing application form will go live. If you go back on to our clearing webpage at approx. 7am tomorrow you will then be able to access the form and apply. If you have questions linked to the application process at this time our clearing helpline will be able to help as you complete it.

In preparation for tomorrow morning make sure you have your GCSE results to hand in addition to your IB results as you will need to include all of these on the clearing application. Psychology does require you to have a higher level science and GCSE Maths and English Language so make sure that these are all definitely included.

Let me know if you have any other questions before tomorrow morning and where I can I will help!

Melody

Thank you Melody. Tomorrow is a big day!
Regards
Ross
Reply 13
Hi,

I have a question about the current vacancies on the Exeter website. Are the courses listed all the ones with availability? Or is it just a selection of some courses ? As within the last hour philosophy has become unavailable.

Thanks.
Reply 14
Original post by Ollssyy
Hi,

I have a question about the current vacancies on the Exeter website. Are the courses listed all the ones with availability? Or is it just a selection of some courses ? As within the last hour philosophy has become unavailable.

Thanks.

What topics are you interested in taking philosophy-wise?
Reply 15
I’ve always found ontology interesting. But I really find philosophy that focuses on society (probably not the correct definition) most interesting like More’s Utopia and Plato’s Republic. 😁
Reply 16
Original post by Ollssyy
I’ve always found ontology interesting. But I really find philosophy that focuses on society (probably not the correct definition) most interesting like More’s Utopia and Plato’s Republic. 😁

I mean there‘s a big connection between ontology and the Republic! Like, every political party says they want a “just” political system right, but then they have massively different policies? All depends on what they think “justice” *is* like, ontologically?

Anyway, if these are your kind of questions (obvs the best questions!)... have you thought about Kent?

Also, what is justice?
How long will it take a clearing choice to be confirmed? I added Exeter as a clearing choice on 8th August at 6pm (the deadline to accept was 10th) and I’ve just checked track and my place hasn’t been confirmed still. I’m getting worried I’ve re-read the offer email and it doesn’t say I need to do anything else. I’m just panicking because of applying for accommodation.
Original post by Ollssyy
Hi,

Thanks.

Good morning,

Our list of courses is a live form and updates as courses fill up. It will always have the correct and most up to date list of what we have to offer at that moment in time. As places are filled courses will no longer be available so if there is a course you are interested in I would recommend applying ASAP if you are sure you would like to do it. I am sorry to hear the Philosophy is no longer available. Are there any other programmes you are interested in?

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Melody
Original post by HobbinsE
How long will it take a clearing choice to be confirmed? I added Exeter as a clearing choice on 8th August at 6pm (the deadline to accept was 10th) and I’ve just checked track and my place hasn’t been confirmed still. I’m getting worried I’ve re-read the offer email and it doesn’t say I need to do anything else. I’m just panicking because of applying for accommodation.

Hello,

There is no set time frame for getting back to clearing applications it is just done as quickly as we can achieve- we handle clearing applications in the order they are received. Having spoken to my colleagues in admissions my recommendation is for you to email [email protected] explaining your situation. If you make sure the subject line includes your clearing number and that it is a referred clearing application it should be picked up earlier today. They will need you UCAS/Exeter ID so also make sure you include this clearly. This will be the quickest way to find out what has happened and get it resolved. I cannot promise when they will get back to you but an email will get it sorted as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, until your application is processed you will not be able to apply for accommodation. Although it is probably not helpful there will be other students who are also waiting to hear back from clearing. There may be a phone queue but if you wanted to speak to our accommodation to establish how much accommodation is still available you can call them on 0300 555 6060 (option 3) but again they will not be able to help with booking. Equally there is a number of private halls in the city- a list of them can be found here. Some of them are really close to campus! Please be assured that you will be able to find somewhere in Exeter even if you do have to wait to apply for accommodation until a bit later!

I hope this helps and everything is sorted today- if you have any other questions let me know :smile:

Melody
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply