The Student Room Group

car insurance

I'm studying for the theory test and came across third part insurance and I'm still not sure what it's all about.

Let's say I pass my driving test and I want to drive my parent's care do I have to get insurance and pay an extra £300 a month for me? Or can I drive the car as it already has third party insurance?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm studying for the theory test and came across third part insurance and I'm still not sure what it's all about.

Let's say I pass my driving test and I want to drive my parent's care do I have to get insurance and pay an extra £300 a month for me? Or can I drive the car as it already has third party insurance?

car* oops
Third party insurance means that if you cause an accident, only the other person's vehicle and property are protected. The insurance would cover the cost of their medical expenses, car repairs etc but you and your car would not be covered.

You'd have to be added onto your parents policy as a named driver if you wanted to drive their car.

Feel free to correct me, though!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bones-mccoy
Third party insurance means that if you cause an accident, only the other person's vehicle and property are protected. The insurance would cover the cost of their medical expenses, car repairs etc but you and your car would not be covered.

You'd have to be added onto your parents policy as a named driver if you wanted to drive their car.

Feel free to correct me, though!

Ah, thank you.
Does that mean my parents would also have to pay insurance for me? Or do you only pay third party insurance for the car itself?
Ah, thank you.
Does that mean my parents would also have to pay insurance for me? Or do you only pay third party insurance for the car itself?

Each person needs to be insured to drive the vehicle, you can share an insurance policy but all of you must be named and it will cost more to have a new driver on.

3rd party is the minimum insurance cover you must have to drive and covers damage you cause to others but not damage you cause to your own car.

you have to be a named driver on the insurance policy to be able to drive the car. so you would need to be added to your parents policy. this will likely push the cost of their car insurance up (you could pay the extra etc.)

third party insurance covers means if you get into an accident, the insurance will pay to repair the other person's car (if you were at fault) and any medical bills. your car would not be covered for any damage or yourself for any injury.
Ah, thank you.

Yes, their monthly premium would go up as an inexperienced driver will now be driving the car, therefore the risk of an accident has increased. Likewise, I added my partner to my policy and my premium went down as he has X amount of years of no claims bonus and has been driving for 25 years.
Reply 7
Original post by doodle_333
Each person needs to be insured to drive the vehicle, you can share an insurance policy but all of you must be named and it will cost more to have a new driver on.

3rd party is the minimum insurance cover you must have to drive and covers damage you cause to others but not damage you cause to your own car.

Original post by Mutmit287
you have to be a named driver on the insurance policy to be able to drive the car. so you would need to be added to your parents policy. this will likely push the cost of their car insurance up (you could pay the extra etc.)

third party insurance covers means if you get into an accident, the insurance will pay to repair the other person's car (if you were at fault) and any medical bills. your car would not be covered for any damage or yourself for any injury.

Original post by bones-mccoy
Yes, their monthly premium would go up as an inexperienced driver will now be driving the car, therefore the risk of an accident has increased. Likewise, I added my partner to my policy and my premium went down as he has X amount of years of no claims bonus and has been driving for 25 years.

Thank you for all your replies :smile:
so helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending