The Student Room Group

Manchester University leniency

With results day just over a week away (yikes!), does anyone know how lenient Manchester are on grades for Physics/Astrophysics? Do they take into account extenuating circumstances such as ASD/Asperger's if the required grades haven't been met or just automatically reject anyone who hasn't attained them? Has anyone on here got in with (whisper it quietly) less than A*/A grades??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IceMaiden2000
With results day just over a week away (yikes!), does anyone know how lenient Manchester are on grades for Physics/Astrophysics? Do they take into account extenuating circumstances such as ASD/Asperger's if the required grades haven't been met or just automatically reject anyone who hasn't attained them? Has anyone on here got in with (whisper it quietly) less than A*/A grades??

Hey! I have an offer for physics from UoM...

I checked theyre admissions stats which was released on what do they know and someone with AAB got in...

UoM is pretty lenient on missed grades...

How lenient a uni will be will vary on a year by year basis. The uni will want to fill a certain number of places on a course. First priority has to go to those who've achieved their offers, regardless of extenuating circumstances. If the course is then full, the uni won't need to take any near miss students.

If the course isn't filled by near miss students, the uni will have their own criteria to decide who gets the remaining places. They may take extenuating circumstances into account, if they know about them in advance and especially if these were mentioned specifically by your referee in your original application. However, they may have also already lowered your offer to take this into account.

Unis like Manchester tend not to accept students who've achieved less than 2/3 grades lower than their offer without there being really specific circumstances to suggest that the exam results might be well below a student's actual ability (e.g. a serious short term illness at the time of exams).

Basically, unfortunately, you'll just have to wait and see what happens on results day. Sorry!
Original post by captainamerica77
Hey! I have an offer for physics from UoM...

I checked theyre admissions stats which was released on what do they know and someone with AAB got in...

UoM is pretty lenient on missed grades...

Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping I've got the grades but fingers crossed!

good luck!

I sent you a PM... wanna chat maybe?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
How lenient a uni will be will vary on a year by year basis. The uni will want to fill a certain number of places on a course. First priority has to go to those who've achieved their offers, regardless of extenuating circumstances. If the course is then full, the uni won't need to take any near miss students.

If the course isn't filled by near miss students, the uni will have their own criteria to decide who gets the remaining places. They may take extenuating circumstances into account, if they know about them in advance and especially if these were mentioned specifically by your referee in your original application. However, they may have also already lowered your offer to take this into account.

Unis like Manchester tend not to accept students who've achieved less than 2/3 grades lower than their offer without there being really specific circumstances to suggest that the exam results might be well below a student's actual ability (e.g. a serious short term illness at the time of exams).

Basically, unfortunately, you'll just have to wait and see what happens on results day. Sorry!

Thanks for this-fingers crossed I've got the grades but if they'd really accept me with 2/3 grades lower than my offer, I'm hoping I'll be ok!!
Thanks for this-fingers crossed I've got the grades but if they'd really accept me with 2/3 grades lower than my offer, I'm hoping I'll be ok!!

You should be....
good luck!

Thanks! And you!

Like I say, it depends on a lot of factors- 2/3 grades is the maximum I'd expect them to drop, that's not a guarentee at all.

Hopefully, you've got the grades you need.
good luck to both of yous! also have an offer for physics at manchester; hoping i get a miracle on results day because not feeling too confident atm yikes
Original post by rebekah150
good luck to both of yous! also have an offer for physics at manchester; hoping i get a miracle on results day because not feeling too confident atm yikes

Thanks-you too! Hoping for a miracle too-or very low grade boundaries, lol!
Thanks-you too! Hoping for a miracle too-or very low grade boundaries, lol!

haha low grade boundaries would be an absolute dream!
haha low grade boundaries would be an absolute dream!

This sucks... I dont want to wait for results day.... I dont even want one...

Did you just get that email from Manchester a few hours ago?? My heart was literally aching lol
(edited 4 years ago)
This sucks... I dont want to wait for results day.... I dont even want one...

Did you just get that email from Manchester a few hours ago?? My heart was literally aching lol

yeahh I did, ngl it's given me a little bit of hope with the potential of the foundation year or slightly different course, not many cities i can imagine moving to for uni lol
yeahh I did, ngl it's given me a little bit of hope with the potential of the foundation year or slightly different course, not many cities i can imagine moving to for uni lol

Yeh... cant imagine myself at any other uni... but I am definitely not going for the foundation course... thats a big NO NO for me... cause my parents are paying for my tuition and theyd hate to pay for a foundation year...
Yeh... cant imagine myself at any other uni... but I am definitely not going for the foundation course... thats a big NO NO for me... cause my parents are paying for my tuition and theyd hate to pay for a foundation year...

Yes, foundation years are a bit unnecessary if you can get straight into the same degree elsewhere and do it in 3 years not 4. Good Luck with your exams, hope you get into Manchester anyway
Original post by harrysbar
Yes, foundation years are a bit unnecessary if you can get straight into the same degree elsewhere and do it in 3 years not 4. Good Luck with your exams, hope you get into Manchester anyway

Thanks mate!
Reply 18
Is there a chance that the University of Manchester will accept me if I receive ABB with A in mathematics in A2 but the condition given was AAB with A in mathematics?
Original post by Rose H
Is there a chance that the University of Manchester will accept me if I receive ABB with A in mathematics in A2 but the condition given was AAB with A in mathematics?

What do you mean? Both your examples show you getting an A in Maths?

In any case, no one can say for sure what the Uni will decide on results day, sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending